Hello Newbies !!!!

Doreensfree

Very New and a little bit New ....bies....

Remember ....your body is going through some massive changes ...

It's had to get accustomed to having Hundreds of poisons ,being administered so many times a day ...

This has effected every part of your body ....parts you never even imagined....

For years .... Decades.....

Congratulations you have made the amazing decision to stop killing yourself very slowly...so slowly  you don't even notice it happening ....

And paying alot of your hard earned money 💰 making the Tobacco Companies CEO...very rich ...

The first few months can be challenging for some ...not for all....

Everybody is different ...so our quits are different ...

Please be kind to yourselves....pamper yourselves....award yourselves 

Before long the Magic will happen ,and your Quit will be the most important thing ...Trust me ....

I smoked 52 years....Thought I would die a smoker....

Because of my dedication ,and determination.... this won't be the case 

Severe Health reasons brought me here...Quitting saved me from amputation ...

Sadly My Hubby lost his fight with Emphysema last May ....

Quitting IS really fighting to save your lives ...it's as serious as it gets ..

Well done All here for Keeping The Quit ...

Take a well earned Pat on the back❤

giphy-27.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steven Drojensky said:

COPD brought me here. 

I'm so sorry about your girlfriend Steven. I lost my dad and his little brother to smoking related cancers and they were barely in their 60's. I myself quit because what I was told at the time was asthma was causing me to be short of breath. Fast forward almost four years quit to this January. I got really sick for the first time since quitting and ended up in ICU with respiratory failure with a 50/50 chance of going home on Hospice! Severe Emphysema, and an oxygen leash 😞

Hopefully with time my lungs can get back to a place of not needing oxygen 24/7 (my new pulmonologist says I'm borderline needing it). So heed my warning all you guys, quitting smoking is not something you can put off, it's doing damage that can affect you well down the road so the sooner you quit the better...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Steven Drojensky said:

I lost my girlfriend to stage 4 lung cancer last year and it's taken me a year to stop. COPD brought me here. 

My Condolences Steven ...

You have COPD. ....which  will worsen to Emphysema....unless you stop completely.....

Having the odd one is still damaging your lungs further ....

Make this Quit count ....you can do it ....

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

My Condolences Steven ...

You have COPD. ....which  will worsen to Emphysema....unless you stop completely.....

Having the odd one is still damaging your lungs further ....

Make this Quit count ....you can do it ....

Yes, I know that I can. One is never just one anyway. As you say it is off the table now.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI!

I haven't posted on here for awhile. I still come on and read from time to time. I have had two more quits since I last posted here, one for 13 days and one for 10 days. I decided not to bother you all after losing that 30 day quit. I'm the one who has to do this. But don't think that I don't appreciate everyone here, because I do!

I am answering this post now because I am ready to do this again!

I've been smoking exactly a half a pack a day, but even at that amount my lungs hurt early in the day and late at night. I'm also having a sharp pain in my left side from time to time. I've noticed it's always right after I smoke. My doctor is sending me for a CT scan of that area. I don't worry too much about it. If I've got cancer, I did it to myself. God gave me a perfectly healthy body. I've ruined it. 

I'm thinking about an NRT this time. My last three quits have been Cold Turkey.  This will be my seventh quit this calendar year. I have used Patches before. In fact my longest quit, 17 weeks several years ago I used the patches for the first four weeks.

I will let you know how I get along.

Take Care!

• Like 2

Never give up trying to give up ..

I carnt even imagine how many ruined quits I had ,in my 52 years smoking career....

I had a very near miss with a serious smoking illness ...one that would have changed my life forever ...

Come back here ...whatever the outcome quitting will help you in the future ....

We have a great bunch of newbies form you to travel along with ....

Are always here for you ...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JH63 said:

I haven't posted on here for awhile. I still come on and read from time to time. I have had two more quits since I last posted here, one for 13 days and one for 10 days. I decided not to bother you all after losing that 30 day quit. I'm the one who has to do this. But don't think that I don't appreciate everyone here, because I do!

Please don't ever think you're bothering us because you lost your quit. We are all addicts so we know how hard it can be for some of us. Heck my whole first year sucked! 

What helped me was the huge support I got from a community full of people who had been where I was and knew what I was going through at any given time in my quit. I stayed glued to my (now defunct) forum and am convinced it was because of the support that I succeeded. 

So instead of staying away have you tried staying glued to here? We can help you past your craves and give you our clues on getting past them. You can do this jh and we'll be here for you 🤗

• Like 5

@JH63 never be ashamed to post.  We are not here to judge but to help you quit.  We all have been where you are at.  I found it helped to stay close to the forum and get to know the members.  They were my strength through those difficult days!

• Like 6

On 8/28/2020 at 10:25 PM, JH63 said:

HI!

I am answering this post now because I am ready to do this again!

I've been smoking exactly a half a pack a day, but even at that amount my lungs hurt early in the day and late at night. I'm also having a sharp pain in my left side from time to time. I've noticed it's always right after I smoke. My doctor is sending me for a CT scan of that area. I don't worry too much about it. If I've got cancer, I did it to myself. God gave me a perfectly healthy body. I've ruined it. 

I'm thinking about an NRT this time. My last three quits have been Cold Turkey.  This will be my seventh quit this calendar year. I have used Patches before. In fact my longest quit, 17 weeks several years ago I used the patches for the first four weeks.

I will let you know how I get along.

Take Care!

Discover your "Why?"

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."

Friedrich Nietzsche

I struggled on this forum and an earlier one for several years, stopping smoking, then restarting and disappearing from the forum until I could face another "quit."

When the pandemic struck, I knew that if I got the virus, I was toast. My kids would never forgive me for having smoked and left them bereft long before I should have.

That was my "why." I've had many cravings since, but no real drive to smoke again. Now, six months later, I feel like a nonsmoker, not a smoker who is just abstaining.

You can do this. We all have faith in the process of quitting and in you!

:) 

• Like 3

@Kate18 Hi!

I have stopped again. Just finished day three. It hasn't been too bad. But it is the seventh time I've stopped this year. I almost feel normal stopping. Something disturbing came up today, but I didn't turn to the cancer sticks.

I understand what you are saying about the "why". I have lots of whys. A whole list of them. But to me they don't seem to matter. My health problems alone should be enough  to motivate me.

Smoking is so ingrained in my life that I have never actually quit, only stopped. I can't think like a non smoker. If I could, I could stay quit. Maybe I'll figure it out some day. I have been stopped for about 100 days so far this year.

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 9:58 PM, JH63 said:

@Kate18 Hi!

I understand what you are saying about the "why". I have lots of whys. A whole list of them. But to me they don't seem to matter. My health problems alone should be enough  to motivate me.

Yes, I'd been there with making lists of "whys." I made a number of them along the way, trying to create a moment where the reasons on my list tipped the scale in my emotions in favor of quitting. I even had a tableau on my computer of photos of the terrible diseases smokers can get. They should have motivated me, but they didn't. For me, the tipping point came when the I saw that the virus would enter the US. I worked in an infectious diseases clinic at a medical center for a while and had seen maps of how a pandemic would spread around the world. In my gut I knew I was taking a terrible risk by continuing to smoke. That is what I mean by a "why." When you lease expect it, something causes an emotional switch where quitting smoking is now easier.  It unfortunately took several years for that reason to arise for me. I guess all I can say is to stay open to it, which you already obviously are. 

Best of luck, Jeff

Edited by Kate18
  • Like 2