SOS guidelines

idontsmoke

Good morning all. Is this the proper use of the SOS forum...I want to smoke but do not **plan** to which is why I question the use of this forum for what I'm going through.

I'm not sure what brought this on but I had a serious thought about buying some cigs when I go out for my physical therapy appointment later this morning. I thought well I could just have a couple...I've come so far and I've enjoyed being smoke free so much that I can't see myself going back to being a full time smoker....then I ask myself well then whats the point? Why try to have "Just a couple" if I don't want to go back to full time smoking? what is it that I **really** want?

To be fair I'm walking through a lot right now. Besides quarantine and the loss of my job, I have financial, relationship and lonlieness (knowing its best for me to be single for a while but wanting a partner) and self worth/image issues going on, pain from recovering from surgery.....But smoking or vaping will not help any of these problems. It will make everything worse. It could result in a fatal smoking related illness.  And all of us go through stuff and stay smoke free. I'm not unique, I know that.

So I will not smoke which is why I question if this is an appropriate use of the SOS forum. 

Edited by idontsmoke
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, idontsmoke said:

...I want to smoke ...

IMHO , this is more than enough reason to post here.

I know you're a strong fighter Michelle and I have no doubt that you will beat the urge, however posting here to initiate a communication with other members which will help to overcome the urges much easier.

I've only been here a short time, but I would suggest anyone with a smoking thought to blast away with SOS posting here, even if you know you won't.

Actually I find responding to these posting helps strengthen my quit.  So, thanks for posting Michelle, it helps both you and me :)

• Like 5

Hi Michelle, this SOS forum is for when you feel yourself caving to a crave and need some extra support as soon as possible to help you through it. So post where you feel you need to. If it's in the wrong forum we can always move it for you.

Don't be hard on yourself for wanting to smoke, it's normal to have those feelings. I did the whole first year. I also tried talking myself into the just a couple since I'm doing so good thing but knew that wouldn't happen and it wouldn't be long until I was back where I didn't want to be. 

Sorry about the stuff you're going through, just remember smoking won't make any of that better. And quitting will! You'll have many more employment doors open smoke free than you would smoking. And you may be already noticing how much better your circulation is. Keep telling yourself the good stuff quitting has brought 😊

• Like 5

You have been here so many times before Michelle...,you know it doesn't solve anything ...

And you would be so mad again if you lost this precious quit ...

The only way to go ....is forward ....

That little Nico monster is tapping your shoulder ...don't fall for his lies...

• Like 5

23 hours ago, JohnQ said:

IMHO , this is more than enough reason to post here.

I know you're a strong fighter Michelle and I have no doubt that you will beat the urge, however posting here to initiate a communication with other members which will help to overcome the urges much easier.

I've only been here a short time, but I would suggest anyone with a smoking thought to blast away with SOS posting here, even if you know you won't.

Actually I find responding to these posting helps strengthen my quit.  So, thanks for posting Michelle, it helps both you and me :)

Thank you John, you have no idea how much it helps to hear that it helps you to help me. Thats a core belief in the addiction recovery programs I'm in (for other substances) I"m so glad to hear it here, and yesterday I was so wound up that I forgot it. So thank you. The good news is I started feeling much better after posting here. I was out walking while running errands and I ended up walking something like four miles which is a lot for me! Getting healthier!

22 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

You have been here so many times before Michelle...,you know it doesn't solve anything ...

And you would be so mad again if you lost this precious quit ...

The only way to go ....is forward ....

That little Nico monster is tapping your shoulder ...don't fall for his lies...

Thank you Doreen. Everything you said is absolutely spot on. I started feeling better after I posted this, got lots of exercise and emerged smoke free 🙂

Edited by idontsmoke
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, jillar said:

Hi Michelle, this SOS forum is for when you feel yourself caving to a crave and need some extra support as soon as possible to help you through it. So post where you feel you need to. If it's in the wrong forum we can always move it for you.

Don't be hard on yourself for wanting to smoke, it's normal to have those feelings. I did the whole first year. I also tried talking myself into the just a couple since I'm doing so good thing but knew that wouldn't happen and it wouldn't be long until I was back where I didn't want to be. 

Sorry about the stuff you're going through, just remember smoking won't make any of that better. And quitting will! You'll have many more employment doors open smoke free than you would smoking. And you may be already noticing how much better your circulation is. Keep telling yourself the good stuff quitting has brought 😊

Thank you jillar! You're right of course. And boy, all the benefits including circulation are fabulous. I can take a deep breath, my chest and arms don't hurt when I walk up stairs, I dont get out of breath so easily...and heres a weird one: the toes on one foot sometimes turned a little purple (comically, only in the shower) I'd look down and think "thats REALLY not good...could it be from vaping/smoking? They only way to know for sure is to stop, even for a few days, and see if it stops...but thats impossible...I just cant", then Id think of something else, leaving my precious toes, that are part of my being, part of my body that I'm trying to heal....to be purple. Nothing I'm going through will be better if I smoke. It will all work out as long as I sit still and do the right thing each day.

• Like 3

If you don't think you're at the SOS stage but just want to vent @idontsmoke, you can always post a thread in the Quit Smoking Discussions area.  Sometimes it helps to just get the feelings out.  I had triggers galore on my recent road trip.  I used to smoke very heavy on long drives.  You know, it's something to do...yeah right...that's how the junkie mind works!  Even though there are occasional smokey thoughts, I know that being a non-smoker is where it's at.  It's too hard to quit and I wonder if I would even have another quit in me after how hard it was to quit this time.

• Like 2