Quitting today and in need of support

Welcome aboard Steven and congrats on deciding to take back your life! You will find all the support you could want here as well as tips, clues and tons of information on our nicotine addiction. Please be sure to check out all our various forums. The pinned threads at the top of each one are where I'd start. 

I didn't find my first forum until three weeks after I had quit and I'm convinced that my success is due in large part because of the support I received and I hope you find that to be true as well. Also listen to your body and what it craves to start healing. If it wants sweets, eat a candy, if it's tired, sleep, etc.

Quitting smoking is the best decision you could ever make for yourself and we are all proof of that. Stick close, post often and if you feel yourself caving to a crave be sure to go to our SOS forum and post. We will come running to help you past the crave :) 

• Like 8

Congratulations, Steven.  There are many here who quit successfully after as many years of smoking so you will receive good input and support here.  Please do stay close to the board, post often - historically, it has been seen that folks who do this tend to have a higher chance of success.

I would encourage you to understand triggers - there are daily triggers which you will need to face right away and overcome.  They are the hardest as they will hit you often in the initial days e.g. coffee, lunch, meeting someone, going to the convenience store, gas station - all the little things that we do daily that we associate with a smoke.  They are also the easiest because you get past them quickly within the first few days and become strong at overcoming the daily triggers.

Then there are the occasional triggers - a birthday, weekend drink, vacations, etc.  These are things that will likely occur during the year and will catch you by surprise as you start to feel confident about overcoming the daily triggers.  You need to stay alert and recognize that these are different and will need to be overcome using some of the same techniques used for daily triggers.  This addiction is so insidious that it will want to you celebrate quit milestones - 1 week, 1 month etc - with ... a smoke.  Be very alert.

Finally there are the life event triggers - losing someone, break up of relationship, job loss, surgery etc.  We become vulnerable to going back to smokes when life hits us with these events.  Smoking doesn't really help solve any problem but the addiction manages to overcome rational thought for long enough to cause us to lose the quit.

The trick is to recognize that we are addicts and will always be one so we need to guard our quit like a winning lottery ticket and not let anyone or anything take it from us.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, d2e8b8 said:

Congratulations, Steven.  There are many here who quit successfully after as many years of smoking so you will receive good input and support here.  Please do stay close to the board, post often - historically, it has been seen that folks who do this tend to have a higher chance of success.

I would encourage you to understand triggers - there are daily triggers which you will need to face right away and overcome.  They are the hardest as they will hit you often in the initial days e.g. coffee, lunch, meeting someone, going to the convenience store, gas station - all the little things that we do daily that we associate with a smoke.  They are also the easiest because you get past them quickly within the first few days and become strong at overcoming the daily triggers.

Then there are the occasional triggers - a birthday, weekend drink, vacations, etc.  These are things that will likely occur during the year and will catch you by surprise as you start to feel confident about overcoming the daily triggers.  You need to stay alert and recognize that these are different and will need to be overcome using some of the same techniques used for daily triggers.  This addiction is so insidious that it will want to you celebrate quit milestones - 1 week, 1 month etc - with ... a smoke.  Be very alert.

Finally there are the life event triggers - losing someone, break up of relationship, job loss, surgery etc.  We become vulnerable to going back to smokes when life hits us with these events.  Smoking doesn't really help solve any problem but the addiction manages to overcome rational thought for long enough to cause us to lose the quit.

The trick is to recognize that we are addicts and will always be one so we need to guard our quit like a winning lottery ticket and not let anyone or anything take it from us.

Thank you. I appreciate all support. 

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Steven ....

Huge Congratulations....This is the start of the most amazing journey ....

We have tons of great info here ...start on the Main Discussion Board ..all the green pinned posts ...

We have a daily pledge ....This a great way to start your day ....

We have a few newbies ...so feel right at home ....

Looking forward to getting to know you better ...

• Like 7

Welcome Steven, I'm not far ahead of you. Today is my fifth day of not smoking. This forum has a lot of good information and support. When I'm having a hard time I get on and read the info. So hang in there. You can do it!!! Congratulations on you decision to quit.

• Like 10

Hey steve, just wanted to let you know I merged your two topics together since they were pretty much the same and moved them to the Introductions forum. 

How are you doing with your quit so far?

• Like 4

Welcome Steven and congratulations on deciding to quit. I too was a long time smoker and was glad I found a place like this with so much information and so many wise people who had quit before me and stuck around to pass on information about quitting. You'll learn a lot here if you use the forum to it's full extent.

Remember this about nicotine addiction:

Smoking is short term pleasure followed by long term consequences and quitting is short term challenges followed by long term benefits. 

Choose wisely!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 10

Welcome aboard, @Steven Drojensky  and congratulations on deciding to quit smoking.

Educating yourself about nicotine addiction and reaching out for support is what helped me and you can find the same support and knowledge on this site.  I would definitely suggest sticking close to this site.

Also, if you haven't done so, check out Allen Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking".   People have different reactions to this book but it helped me see that smoking did nothing positive for me.  Everything with smoking is negative.  Once I finally accepted that and realized I was missing nothing positive by not smoking, quitting did become a much more desirable goal.

Sazerac has an excellent post about how to navigate this site and to use it to help you in your quit.  The link is below.

Welcome aboard.  You are doing a great thing by quitting smoking.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, jillar said:

Hey steve, just wanted to let you know I merged your two topics together since they were pretty much the same and moved them to the Introductions forum. 

How are you doing with your quit so far?

Just feeling real nervous and anxious, but I know that it will pass.

• Like 5

It will pass Steven, the first month is the hardest of them all but it really does go by fast. Anxiety is normal and many of us have dealt with that. If the anxiety gets to be too much you can always give your Dr a call and tell him you've quit. A lot of times they can prescribe a temporary med to ease the anxiety. Or you can do like I did and have a beer or eat an edible lol.

All of us here are proof of just how doable quitting is so no need to be nervous, we got your back :) 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, jillar said:

It will pass Steven, the first month is the hardest of them all but it really does go by fast. Anxiety is normal and many of us have dealt with that. If the anxiety gets to be too much you can always give your Dr a call and tell him you've quit. A lot of times they can prescribe a temporary med to ease the anxiety. Or you can do like I did and have a beer or eat an edible lol.

All of us here are proof of just how doable quitting is so no need to be nervous, we got your back :) 

• Like 3

Hi Steven, congratulations on your very wise decision to quit smoking!  As others have suggested, learn as much as you can about nicotine addiction.  If you feel like you are at risk of losing your quit, create a post in the SOS section and we will be there to help you through your difficulty.  Welcome aboard!!  😊

• Like 7

Welcome Steven! Glad you found us!

You can do this, please read, read & read some more....educating yourself about this addiction is key to success.

We understand what you are going through and we are here to support you. Post often.... it helps!

• Like 7

Welcome Steve,

You have just decided to become a non smoker. This is the first step in a long journey to be a healthier and happier version of yourself. The nicotine monster is devious and will test your junkie thoughts. Stay firm on what you want because it's entirely achievable. It will take had work and support. You put in the hard work and we will support you 100% of the way. There are a lot of people here in various parts of there quit who have vast knowledge of what you are going through and what you will be going through. Lean on us or ask us anything. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to Nope ( not one puff ever)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Steven Drojensky said:

Thank you everyone who showed their support today. I am feeling kind of lousy, but then again I have been poisoning my body for a long time. I will check in tomorrow. Have a good night. ❤

Your right Steven ....your body is going through some massive changes ....it takes time to adjust ....

Remember all the feelings and emotions ,you are feeling right now is Temporary.....

Our Brains can also be our worst enimies too.....don't over think things ....

I was a 52 year smoker ....my body went in turmoil ....but soon enough it started to settle ....

Freedom is so worth being uncomfortable for a little bit of the time ....

• Like 5

Welcome Steven!  

Please do educate yourself with all the materials suggested above, trust me they will help you tremendously like they did for me.

Congrats on your new Freedom!  

John

• Like 5