New here yesrerday

Linda

Welcome to our site, Linda.

I'm sorry you relapsed but it is good that you are quitting again.  I had a number of short quits I relapsed from before quitting for good.  Learning about nicotine addiction and reaching out for support at a quit site similar to this one is what helped me quit for good and I'm sure it could help you too.

If you haven't already read this post, click the link below for some good tips for using this site to help you in your quit.

Quitting smoking can be challenging but it is definitely rewarding.  Life as a non-smoker is worth any early struggles.

Welcome again.  It is good to have you here.

• Like 7

Welcome aboard our train full of quitters Linda. Sorry about your relapse, hopefully now that you've found us  we can help you get your forever quit.  We have a lot to do here from educating yourself about our addiction to socializing to get your mind off the misery for a while so be sure to check out all our various forums.

We also have quite a few members who used the patches to quit. Just make sure you're using them correctly. Nicotine takes about three days to leave your system so at five days quit you already had the nicotine out of your system. The relapse was your brain throwing a tantrum to get what it wanted, nicotine! 

• Like 7

That`s great that you are not giving up and starting the quit again. Most of us have done so ourselves. Knowledge is very important along with support. this is a great place for both. I wish you well and hang in there and stay close to this site. Best wishes.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Linda said:

I quit a week ago and relapsed after 5 days. Very disappointed in my self. I did start using the patches today. Going to try again

Don't let it bother you.....I am on day 6, a week tomorrow never made it this far....Just reaffirm and start over.

• Like 6

The good thing about NRT's Linda is that you can stop using them at any time so if you're thinking it's not right then try cold turkey again or another nrt. 

I will tell you that there is not one nrt on the planet that will relieve all the symptoms of quitting. So if you're looking for an easy way out there just isn't one. Except maybe for your state of mind. Have faith in yourself that you can do it. We all did and you can too.

Read the thread Johnny (above) posted for you.  Check out all the pinned threads in each forum. They all contain info to help you get your quit 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Learn all you can about nicotine addiction

and defend your quit as you would a newborn.

Protect it with your life...because it IS all about your LIFE.

and Your FREEDOM.

You don't need NRT's to quit.

You need a commitment, this is all.

and you need that commitment with any method of quitting.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Linda said:

Well I know it has not been 24 hours and the craving is bad not sure the patch was the right way to go

I was on the patch for 2 days then forgot to put it back on after a morning showier on the third day. Ended up giving the patches to someone else a week later and went cold turkey from there on. It was fine. A little white-knuckled at times for the first couple of weeks but I managed to navigate the storm my addiction created for me in order to try and lure me back to feeding it.  NOPE! Not doin' that!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Linda,

It's great to hear that you are quitting smoking. Relapses happen but it's how you react to them that matters. You have decided that you still want to be a non smoker. So, fight to keep your quit for a happier and healthier you. There are a lot of videos and articles to give the knowledge and ammunition to help with your quit. There are a lot of people here in all aspects of their quits to support and encourage you. This is where the real work begins but I promise you that it will all be worth it. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to Nope (not one puff ever).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Linda ...

Congratulations on the wonderful desicion to take your life back from this horrible addiction ...

You are not alone ,we have a few Newbies here for you to travel along with ,sharing your experiences...

My first advice to you is ...believe in your self ....be positive ....I am a fabulous non smoker .....

We have a daily pledge ....it's a promise to yourself , that you won't smoke that one day ....

You can do it ....all you need is the desire to be free ...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Linda.  I am so glad you joined us.   I did not find success until I found this site.  This group of wonderful people guided me along my journey.  I had smoked for 42 years and had tried every way possible to quit.   Stay close, play some games and educate yourself.   You can do this!

• Like 5

Hi Linda, good for you for trying again!  I quit with the patches and they worked really well for me.  I tried two different brands and felt that the Walmart store brand worked better than the name brand.  Go figure and they were quite a bit cheaper too.  We're all different though and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.  The important thing is that you decided to quit.  Stick with that decision and do whatever works for you!  Welcome!!  😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mee said:

... Stay close, play some games and educate yourself.   You can do this!

^^^this^^^

Welcome Linda.  

From my own experience of about 40 years smoking and quitting countless of times, the most critical element for a successful quit is the education about smoking. 

I used to get really miserable, always depressed and felt many physical issues when I quit.  But after I read/listened to/watched a lot of materials and obtained an understanding of what this addiction is all about, I suddenly realize that the cravings are actually 80% mental and only 20% physical, and I've been able to overcome those cravings much easier and no longer feel miserable, on the contrary I've been feeling relieved that I am now confident that I can kick this addition for good.  

All my smoking friends had eventually quit by about 10 years ago, I've been trying to quit for 24 years but kept relapsing, I am the most stubborn smoker that I know, and if I can do it, anyone can, so I'm sure you can too.

I can't emphasize enough how important education is for quit smoking.  Start by going through the sticky posts in this forum https://www.quittrain.com/forum/2-quit-smoking-discussions/, I suggest begin with these 2 posts:

matls.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2