Cravings!!!

This is not an SOS because I am resolved to NOT vape or smoke....I love everything about this quit except the cravings. They are brief but strong enough to be very uncomfortable. They are a combination of physical and mental ("I will get to vape when I get off the bus/out of the store/off work/when I get out of bed, u name it) I know it takes awhile to get over 40 years of cravings, but I've had several quits lasting a year or so and I don't remember craving this far into it. Would love some feedback on coping.

Oh also, I have my shoulder surgery Friday so any good juju, prayers or whatever you rock, sent my way would be appreciated! Ty!!!

• Like 3

Hi Michelle, good vibes on your surgery coming your way from California. You are going to do so much better recovery wise because of your quitting. As far as the craves, yep they suck! I hated the CONSTANT thinking about smoking. It was EXHAUSTING! But, each day they really did get a little better with only a few bad days scattered here and there. My coping mechanisms were:

1. Using my JAC (jillars air cigarette)

2. Going or doing something that I never smoked while doing. 

3. Posting about it like you've done and keeping my mind occupied with the various forums 

4. Just going to bed and hoping tomorrow was better (and it usually was)

I'm sure others will be around soon to give you their clues because as you've seen for yourself, every quit is different and what worked for me or even you before may not necessarily work again.

You are doing so good Michelle and should be so proud of yourself. Sending hugs your way..... :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Michelle, Praying everything goes according to plan with your surgery. My cravings haven't been to bad but I attribute that to being subconsciously prepared to quit. While I was still smoking I would keep telling myself that I have to quit one day soon. I also cut back on how many cigarettes I smoked daily knowing I was going to quit soon. I was just waiting for that moment where I decided that it was time. One day during quarantine I finally said to myself that this habit is stupid. Why am I still smoking and just quit right then and there. So, I guess if you can mentally psyche yourself up everyday to be smoke free it just might help.

• Like 3

Sending positive vibes here for Friday ....

I put this out there now and again for newbies ....

I wise elder once said to me ...

Doreen it's ok to wobble ...just make sure you don't fall over ....

You can think of smoking Michelle...just make sure you don't Smoke !!!!....

• Like 2

Whenever I got a craving I immediately changed what I was doing and did something else to take my mind off it. They've been very mild recently so I've had no issue get over them quickly.  One of the nice things about working from home during this pandemic is that there are hundreds of things I can do around the house, so whenever I need to change up my routine there's no shortage of chores for me to do.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Michelle, hope everything goes well on Friday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnQ said:

Whenever I got a craving I immediately changed what I was doing and did something else to take my mind off it. They've been very mild recently so I've had no issue get over them quickly.  One of the nice things about working from home during this pandemic is that there are hundreds of things I can do around the house, so whenever I need to change up my routine there's no shortage of chores for me to do.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Michelle, hope everything goes well on Friday.

yes, the adage,

'Move A Muscle, Change A Thought'

comes to mind.

• Like 3