Crock Pot Recipes

Petra

I haven't made this before, so I have no idea if it is good or bad.  I can tell you that recipes from this source have been pretty tasty, but slightly on the bland side - kinda missing that POP or Zing of flavor, but still yummy.   :)  

Ginger-Orange Beef

Roast

Prep Cook Total

10m 7h 7h 10m

2½ lb boneless top round beef roast

1 sweet onion, sliced

1 cup all-natural orange marmalade

½ cup reduced-sodium beef broth

2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Place roast in a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker

coated with cooking spray; top with onion

slices. Whisk together marmalade, broth,

ginger, soy sauce, vinegar and garlic; pour over

roast. Cover and cook on Low 7 hours or until

tender; sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Serve with

Roasted Sesame Vegetables

2 (12-oz) packages fresh steam-in-bag

cauliflower and broccoli mix

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon dark sesame oil

1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground

pepper

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss vegetables,

olive oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper on a large

rimmed baking sheet coated with cooking

spray; spread in a single layer. Bake 20 to 25

minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables

are browned and tender. Sprinkle with sesame

seeds just before serving. Serve vegetables

with roast.

Sha-Zam

• Like 1

I just put this in the Crock now (forgot to take the roast out of the freezer the other day :) ) .  It looks super yummy!  Wish I had used a Crock Pot liner because it is sticky.  Will let you know later. :)

I haven't made this before, so I have no idea if it is good or bad.  I can tell you that recipes from this source have been pretty tasty, but slightly on the bland side - kinda missing that POP or Zing of flavor, but still yummy.   :)  

Ginger-Orange Beef
Roast

Prep Cook Total
10m 7h 7h 10m

2½ lb boneless top round beef roast
1 sweet onion, sliced
1 cup all-natural orange marmalade
½ cup reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Place roast in a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker
coated with cooking spray; top with onion
slices. Whisk together marmalade, broth,
ginger, soy sauce, vinegar and garlic; pour over
roast. Cover and cook on Low 7 hours or until
tender; sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Serve with
Roasted Sesame Vegetables

2 (12-oz) packages fresh steam-in-bag
cauliflower and broccoli mix
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground
pepper
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss vegetables,
olive oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper on a large
rimmed baking sheet coated with cooking
spray; spread in a single layer. Bake 20 to 25
minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables
are browned and tender. Sprinkle with sesame
seeds just before serving. Serve vegetables
with roast.

Sha-Zam

Petra, I have to try this.  I love ginger.  I also love orange chicken.  I love beef, as well.  So, orange beef should taste delicious!

It was really good.  Sorry - I thought I had already posted on the results. :)

Everyone one loved the beef - Kids, hub, me and my Mom who was over for dinner.  I added a slight bit of red chili pepper flakes for spice, but not enough to make it spicy.  

We served it over Jasmine rice.  Yummo!!!  None of the flavors were overwhelming, so you may want to make it once and adjust to your tastes.  

I thought it would be sticky because of the marmalade, but it wasn't at all.  

I liked the roasted veggies too, but my mom thought the broccoli was a little dry, hubster doesn't really like cauliflower, kids didn't care for them - imagine that.  

That's my review! :)

p.s. - Super easy too! :)

OK, here is dinner for us tomorrow night.  I came up with this by accident and it is a keeper.

Salsa Chicken Tacos

Put a bunch of chicken in crockpot

Pour a jar of salsa over chicken, 24 oz

Add some taco seasoning, not necessary but amps up the flavor a bit.

Once chicken is cooked, mash with a potato masher or shred with forks.

Add 1/2 cup sour cream or cream cheese.  I use non-fat.  

Let it cook on low for another 45 minutes.

I serve in Old El Paso Stand & Stuff soft Taco shells with shredded cheese.  

• 4 months later...

Caramelized Onions in CrockPot

I am new to this device and usually make these in the winter on top of the stove or all day in a slow oven

but, man it sure is groovy not heating up a summer kitchen.

Y'all like Onion Soup ?  This is the stuff.  

Y'all like that onion soup mix in sour cream or cream cheese for a Dip ?  TRY These !!!

Take my advise and make these in the day

otherwise you will be getting up all night to eat some,  it smells so good.

.Recipe from Epicurious

Makes 3 1/2 cups cooking Time: 12 to 14 hours on LOW

Slow Cooker Size: 4 quart

An added bonus is the heady broth you end up with, which can be used in other dishes along with the onions.

Cook a very long time until they are a deep mahogany color.

ingredients
  • 3 pounds yellow Onions , peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick to 1/4-inch-thick slices or diced if using in a dip
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter (see Note)  Sazerac uses Olive Oil and less than 8 tablespoons.
  • preparation

Place the onions and butter in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on LOW for 12 to 14 hours, until the onions are deep brown and very soft.

It's almost impossible to overcook these; make sure to let the onions cook until they are mahogany colored.

notes:

Sazerac cooks these on high when at home

If you have a large slow cooker, you can double the onions. It is not necessary to increase the amount of butter.

Sazerac has a small cooker and just stuffs onions to the top and oils them up a little.

Don't blanch at the amount of butter called for here. When you drain and chill the onions, the onion-flavored butter will congeal on the surface of the cooking liquid.

Skim it and use it when you sauté other vegetables, over pasta, or in risotto

Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie

1 lb of chicken breasts (or thighs)

2 sm can cream of chicken soup

1 14 oz bag of mixed veggies

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 small onion, chopped

Sister Schubert Dinner Rolls (frozen) or frozen biscuits

Place chicken in crock pot. Pour everything else over chicken. Cover and simmer on low for 8-10 hours. 45 min prior to serving add veggies to mix and break up meat. Cover and simmer on high. Prepare rolls and serve chicken mixture over them.

A lot of times I will double or even triple this recipe because it freezes great.

• Like 1

Pork Chops and Field Peas

Browning the pork chops and onions adds an extra layer of flavor to this dish. We love it served with hot cooked rice and chowchow.

Total: 6 hours, 30 minutes
Yield:
 Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

• 1  (16-oz.) package frozen field peas with snaps, thawed
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  dry mustard
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  garlic powder
  • 6  (1-inch-thick) bone-in pork chops (about 3 1/2 lb.)
  • 1/2  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 2  tablespoons  vegetable oil
  • 1  large sweet onion, sliced
  • 1  (10 1/2-oz.) can condensed chicken broth

Preparation

1. Place peas in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker.

2. Combine mustard and next 2 ingredients; sprinkle over pork chops. Dredge pork in flour.

3. Cook pork, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or just until browned. Transfer pork to slow cooker. Reserve drippings in skillet.

4. Sauté onion in hot drippings over medium-high heat 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add chicken broth, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Spoon onion mixture over pork in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours.

• Like 1

Cheesy Italian Tortellini

Cheesy Italian Tortellini

Rated: 4.5.gif Prep Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 8 Hours 30 Minutes   Cook Time: 8 Hours 15 Minutes Servings: 6

"A delicious marinara sauce is cooked all day in the slow cooker. When it's time for diner, just throw in some tortellini, and sprinkle with cheese. When the noodles are cooked, pass around the bread, and enjoy!"
Ingredients:

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings
removed
1 (16 ounce) jar marinara sauce
1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced
tomatoes, undrained
1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated or
fresh cheese tortellini
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Crumble the ground beef and Italian sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain. 2. Combine the ground meats, marinara sauce, mushrooms, and tomatoes in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on LOW heat for 7 to 8 hours. 3. Stir in the tortellini, and sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar cheese over the top. Cover and cook for 15 more minutes on LOW, or until the tortellini is tender.    

• Like 1

Southwestern Breakfast Casserole

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 10 servings

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. butter

2 lbs. bulk breakfast sausage, cooked and drained (I used Jimmy Dean hot sausage)

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 red bell pepper, chopped

4-oz. can chopped green chilies (or jalapeno peppers), drained

2-1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese

18 eggs

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if desired

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation:

Grease inside of Crockpot with butter (or just use slow cooker liner). Starting with sausage, layer meat, onions, peppers, chilies, and cheese, repeating the layering process until all ingredients are used.

In large mixer bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk or eggbeater until combined, then pour over mixture in the Crockpot. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours. Serve with sour cream or fresh salsa. I like to serve with tortillas, for breakfast burritos

If you have a newer, hotter cooking Crockpot, check at 5-1/2 hours. The eggs should reach 165 degrees F.

Triple Chocolate Mess

Ingredients

• 1 (18 1/2 ounce) packages chocolate cake mix

• 1 (4 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix

• 3/4 cup oil

• 1 cup water

• 4 eggs

• 1 (6 ounce) bags chocolate chips

• 1 pint sour cream

Directions
  1. Spray crock pot with non-stick spray. (or use crock pot liner)

2. Mix all ingredients and place in crock pot.

3. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.

4. Try not to lift the lid!!

5. Serve with vanilla ice cream....Fabulous!!

• 5 months later...

1. I am definitely going to try this....sometime this week

Coconut Curry Chicken

IMG_9313.jpg

1. 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, cut into cubes

5 large carrots, peeled and diced

1 medium onion, peeled and quartered

2 cloves garlic, peeled

1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used a green pepper)

1 (5 oz ) can tomato paste

1 (14 oz) can coconut milk

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp curry powder

1 tbsp garam masala

1 jalapeno, seeded and halved OR 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

2 tbsp water

1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

Instructions

1. Grease your slow cooker with Pam. Place the chicken and carrots on the bottom of slow cooker.

Place the rest of the ingredients (except water and corn starch) in a food processor and process together until mixture is mostly smooth. ***If your food processor is too small to hold everything, process everything but the coconut milk. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl then mix in the coconut milk.

Pour the sauce over the chicken and carrots, mix well, then cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.

An hour or so before serving, mix cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour mixture into the slow cooker, stir to combine, and continue cooking for another hour. **This will thicken up the sauce. When the sauce is to your desired thickness, turn slow cooker to warm setting until ready to serve.

Serve over rice, with Naan (a flatbread), and garnish with cilantro.

• Like 3

1. I am definitely going to try this....sometime this week

Coconut Curry Chicken

IMG_9313.jpg

1. 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, cut into cubes
  2. 5 large carrots, peeled and diced
  3. 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
  4. 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  5. 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used a green pepper)
  6. 1 (5 oz ) can tomato paste
  7. 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
  8. 1 1/2 tsp salt
  9. 1 tbsp curry powder
  10. 1 tbsp garam masala
  11. 1 jalapeno, seeded and halved OR 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  12. 2 tbsp water
  13. 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

Instructions
  1. Grease your slow cooker with Pam. Place the chicken and carrots on the bottom of slow cooker.
  2. Place the rest of the ingredients (except water and corn starch) in a food processor and process together until mixture is mostly smooth. ***If your food processor is too small to hold everything, process everything but the coconut milk. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl then mix in the coconut milk.
  3. Pour the sauce over the chicken and carrots, mix well, then cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.
  4. An hour or so before serving, mix cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour mixture into the slow cooker, stir to combine, and continue cooking for another hour. **This will thicken up the sauce. When the sauce is to your desired thickness, turn slow cooker to warm setting until ready to serve.
  5. Serve over rice, with Naan (a flatbread), and garnish with cilantro.

That just looks and sounds good - let us know how it turns out - I may want to try this.

• Like 2

• I am definitely going to try this....sometime this week
  • Coconut Curry Chicken

garam masala ... I had to look this one up.. I thought it was a type of wine... lol..  I guess I will have to get some... because this sounds really good!

I am thinking that I want to add some cashews to the mix, and serve it with some fresh grated coconut on top... ( just a little bit )

• Like 2

That curry looks amazing! I'll have to try it some night. :) Definitely let us know what you think.

Yep.. I agree!

I got the ingredients that I was lacking... I now have the garam masala, but I also got all the ingredients to make my own garam marsala in the future.

going to make this for tomorrows dinner.  Will let ya know how it goes!!

Yep.. I agree!

I got the ingredients that I was lacking... I now have the garam masala, but I also got all the ingredients to make my own garam marsala in the future.

going to make this for tomorrows dinner.  Will let ya know how it goes!!

i was going to go to store tomorrow and make it thursday....so, you can buy the garam masala in the store?  wasn't sure if I had to make it....but if I do...I don't have all the ingredients they call for anyway

can't wait to see how you make out and about any adjustments you make

i'm hungry now

OK,,, This is what I have going on today... I am making this curry coconut chicken and it is now in the cooker about 4 hours. Instead of doing it on low for 6 or so.. I did it on high for the first hour or so to get it good and hot in a hurry... dinner is in about an hour so I will post pic later.

Notes...

first of all... when you buy that garam masala you have to look at the ingredients, I had two choices one was half the price of the other. Make sure that the garam masala ingredients include the ground cardamom. If it does not then you either have to add some cardamom to the recipe or at least add some ground ginger to make up for it... (cardamom is a member of the ginger family).. cardamom is a little pricy so they exclude it in the cheaper packages.

I kind of followed the recipe.. but I added mushrooms, peas, and cashews to the mix (just sounded good to me)

I also used half the salt that the recipe called for because it seemed like a lot to me but after 3 hours of cooking I did add the rest... it needed it,, this dish is not salty.

I used half red and half green peppers.. I reserved about a third of the peppers and chopped them small and added to the chicken and then the rest I put into the food processor to make the sauce.

Instead of jalapeno peppers, I used seranno peppers... I was worried about this dish being to spicy so I removed all the seeds and white rhine from the insides... I now realize that I could have left some of the interior rhine because it is not that spicy.

I have tasted the sauce and tested the carrots to make sure they are cooking well.... The carrots have a really interesting flavor... I did not put as many carrots into the recipe as specified... I thought it was too much.. now I get it.. the carrots obsorb all these flavors and are really good,.. so put alot of carrots into the mix... lol

and last for right now... I think this dish is screaming for shrimp.. I will decide the next time I check if I should add them in or not...

I will post after dinner and let you know how it goes... but you should plan on getting these ingredients because as far as I can tell...

this already tastes really good  :)

• Like 1

Hhhmmmm....

In the end I did end up adding  a dozen shrimp... over all this was a really good meal!!

20150218_185330.jpg

Much different than I expected....

next time I will wait till the last hour to add the cashews... they tasted fine but had no crunch after all that cooking time. I was looking for the crunch!! lol

adding the fresh coconut on top at the end to serve looked really pretty but the coconut was overpowered by the other flavors so dont bother unless you are going for a look...

would I make it again??? absolutely!!!

It was simple ( other than figuring out the spice thing ). It was healthy!!! and it tasted good!!

Thanks for posting it BABS!! Ooops!

• Like 2

Thanks, Scott. I'm glad that the dish turned out well and I find your "chef's notes" very helpful. Love the addition of the shrimp, too. I'll bear that in mind when I make the dish.

I'm confused about this whole "curry" vs "garam masala" thing. In India, curry is a plant. You can purchase curry leaves at Asian grocery stores (which are delicious, by the way). "Garam masala" just means "spice mixture". It can contain different mixtures of spices depending on the dish and your personal preferences. Somehow, the English starting calling the spice mixture curry powder. I think that "garam masala" is dark brown in color because it contains allspice and black pepper. Curry powder is yellow because the main spice is turmeric. But beyond that I am very confused-- when do you use curry powder and when do you use masala? When a recipe calls for both do you use both spice mixtures or do you use curry leaves and masala powder? What do you folks do when faced with this dilemma?

• Like 1