Feeling Scared

sj1996

It's been 6 hours since I quit smoking. I smoked for almost 3 years / 10 a day. I was super active when I was a kid but I haven't really worked out for the past 6 years. I had a call with a friend and he mentioned a friend of his of my age (24) recently died  of heart attack. 

After the call, I went on google and started reading about effects of smoking and I end with up with something called "emphysema". Turns out one of it's symptoms is shortness of breath and I have shortness of breath (Everytime I try to run or workout). Am I overthinking stuff? I really just want to get healthy but this stuff on the internet is really bringing me down. 

• Like 4

and this

Can You Spare About An Hour And A Half To Help Save Your LIfe

any physical concerns can be discussed with a health professional.

the most important thing right here and right now

is that you don't smoke.

Ride these craves out and reward yourself.

you are on the road to a fabulous freedom

• Like 3

Hi sj and yes, there's lots of really bad stuff can happen to a person as a result of smoking. The good news is you are young enough to probably reverse a lot of the damage you may have done to your body by quitting now, before making things worse. Read all you can here and educate yourself about nicotine addiction. Knowledge is the key to beating it :) 

• Like 5

Welcome sj!  You are so wise to address the dangers of smoking before wasting most of your life dealing with the addiction. The good news is that your body will start to repair the minute you quit.  Stay on board and educate yourself.  We are here to help guide you along the way.  You can quit!

• Like 5

Welcome sj and congratulations on deciding to take your life back. The discomfort is temporary and so worth it to get your freedom back before your health starts to decline because of it.

• Like 5

Hello and welcome ....Smoking effects all your body ....you should be scared .!!!!!

Stay around and read some of the horror stories here....

My Hubby passed away last year due to severe Emphysema.....

This is something you definitely don't want ....

Now time to lose in quitting ...your body starts to heal from day one ....

Stay around and join in with the newbies ....

Congratulations your a non smoker ...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sj1996 said:

...I really just want to get healthy but this stuff on the internet is really bringing me down. 

SJ,  

Quit smoking is the best thing you can do for your health so I congratulate you for that great decision you made.

The amount of information you can google on is quite overwhelming, but education on smoking will help you quit much easier, please take your time to read through the materials Sazerac and Doreen posted, and when you have time, go through the sticky posts in the Discussions forum.

Most importantly, stay close to this forum and keep posting with any questions you may have, and please post an SOS whenever you need help to overcome the cravings, you'll find tremendous support from members here.  Like you, we're all Nicotine addicts and we're all riding this train to freedom, now that you got onboard, stay and enjoy the journey.

John

Edited by JohnQ
  • Like 5

Yes, there are a lot of bad things that can come from smoking.  Shortness of breath is one of those. 

I ran cross country and track in high school.  I picked up smoking in college.  The shortness of breath, along with other negative health impacts that come from smoking, quickly put me in a place where I could not run or work out nearly like I had been doing prior to picking up smoking.

You are not overthinking things.  There are a lot of really bad things that come from smoking.

Quitting smoking really is the best thing you can do for yourself right now.  There is a lot of support and knowledge you can gain at this site to help you with this.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, sj1996 said:

It's been 6 hours since I quit smoking. I smoked for almost 3 years / 10 a day. I was super active when I was a kid but I haven't really worked out for the past 6 years. I had a call with a friend and he mentioned a friend of his of my age (24) recently died  of heart attack. 

After the call, I went on google and started reading about effects of smoking and I end with up with something called "emphysema". Turns out one of it's symptoms is shortness of breath and I have shortness of breath (Everytime I try to run or workout). Am I overthinking stuff? I really just want to get healthy but this stuff on the internet is really bringing me down. 

Hi SJ,

No, you're not overthinking things. I'm not saying you have emphysema....I'm not a doctor! But there are SO many smoking related diseases and the only way to avoid them is to not smoke.

I'd like to challenge you to take any fear you are feeling and turn it into anger at smoking. Let it help you continue in your quit. My guess is that if you asked anyone on this board (including me) who is much older than you if they wished they had quit in their 20s you'd get a resounding "yes!!!"

You have such a tremendous opportunity right now, to quit and improve your health for the rest of your life. Please let us know how you are doing today! 🙂

• Like 3