New Today

Hi all,

My name is Michael and I have been a smoker for about 20 years.  2 weeks ago I finally quit!  Yay!  I have tried on a few separate occasions in the past, but nothing that lasted more then a couple of days.  Definitely one of the hardest things I’ve done.  
Cravings have subsided quite a lot from the first two weeks but now, insomnia and this feeling of not quite getting enough breath at times has just had me stressing.  Anyone have any issues with either and how they managed to work through it?  I know this is an introduction post but figured I’d just combine the question too.  😁  Still navigating my way around so maybe there are answers already out there that I just haven’t seen.  

Thanks!

Michael

• Like 9

Welcome aboard our train of quitters Michael and congratulations on taking back your life two weeks ago 😊 The insomnia is completely normal and sucks but it's only temporary so hang in there. As for your breathing, your cilia have already started cleaning all the damage we did by smoking and this can result in some shortness of breath. That being said, and especially in these virus times, it's never a bad idea to call your dr. for their opinion of if you should go in or not. Especially if it gets worse or is particularly troublesome.

Congrats again on your awesome quit and be sure to have a look around. Lots to do and learn here on all our various forums 😊

• Like 7

Welcome to Quit Train Michael! What Jillar said is the same as what I was going to offer you. The insomnia is for sure a quit symptom. The breathing issue may be too but it's always best to get that sort of thing checked out by a Dr. You will find a lot of resources here at Quit Train that will most likely make a huge, positive difference in your quit so .... stick around and read old posts, watch some of the videos available here and communicate with other quitters. In the end, we're all the same Michael :) 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Michael121 said:

Hi all,

My name is Michael and I have been a smoker for about 20 years.  2 weeks ago I finally quit!  Yay!  I have tried on a few separate occasions in the past, but nothing that lasted more then a couple of days.  Definitely one of the hardest things I’ve done.  
Cravings have subsided quite a lot from the first two weeks but now, insomnia and this feeling of not quite getting enough breath at times has just had me stressing.  Anyone have any issues with either and how they managed to work through it?  I know this is an introduction post but figured I’d just combine the question too.  😁  Still navigating my way around so maybe there are answers already out there that I just haven’t seen.  

Thanks!

Michael

hey, Michael.

Welcome to our merry little band of nicotine free creatures.

you may find this thread helpful in building yourself a sturdy and successful quit

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself Quit Smoking

• Like 7

Hi Michael, welcome to Quit Train!  Looks like you already have a good start on your quit.  Congratulations on two weeks!  If you haven't already, I would suggest learning as much as you can about nicotine addiction.  It really helps with mindset which is so very important in keeping quit long term.

Regarding your questions, I am familiar with the insomnia withdrawal symptom but not the breathing issue.  You might want to get that one checked out.  The insomnia should go away in time.

Best wishes to you for long term success!!

• Like 7

Hi Michael,

Welcome aboard. It's so good to see that you have already quit. I had trouble sleeping for awhile after I quit but it eventually gets better. I'm up to almost 6 hrs asleep every night now. Occasionally if I'm really tired then I might get 7 hrs. Pretty much all of the withdrawal symptoms will subside. You are going to feel better and healthier with each passing week. The real work is staying committed to your quit. It's going to be tough but stay close to the message boards. We will be here with all the support you can imagine. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to Nope ( not one puff ever)

• Like 7

Welcome aboard ....

Insomnia here too....thankfully it's all temporary....soon you will be sleeping better ...

Congratulations on your fabulous quit....

Take the time to read all the great information here ,and watch Joel's video,s.....

Knowledge is your weapon ....

Looking forward to seeing you around ....we have some newbies fright now ...so feel at home ...

• Like 7

Hello Michael,

Congratulations on your quit.  You will find awesome moral support from the members here, and read through the sticky notes in the various forums to find great materials that provide an understanding for the addiction to help you kick it for good.

John

• Like 7

Welcome to the board Michael. We have a great bunch of people here. They will help you through tough times and have help save a many quit. Mine included. SO like everyone said WELCOME and know that we are all here for you

• Like 5

Us old geezers here with a few years quit probably don't seem as real to you as a new quitter Michael but believe it or not, we are the same as you because we are all nicotine addicts who had to do the same heavy lifting that you're doing now. We just did it earlier than you. The process hasn't changed. Listen to the newbies like you: @Mac#23; @JohnQ; @Nana20; @Mona and others. It will be easier to relate to them because it's all new to them too but just like you they have decided enough is enough and they're taking back control of their lives!. The only way you can find out what's in the head of one of us old geezers is to become one yourself :) 

Ask @Doreensfree she's a really old geezer (quitting wise that is 😊)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome aboard Michael.  Some of us have experienced some of the symptoms you describe.  The best bet is to check with your physician.  There is a lot of anxiety in quitting and it is hard not to obsess on some of the symptoms.   This is a great place to share your feelings and ask questions.  I am so glad you are doing well in your quit.  A couple of weeks is huge!  I can promise you that every day will get better and better.    

• Like 5