I need to get educated

Hello, 

I'm new here and just started browsing around this site. I'm sure it's been said many times before, but I dont know how I'm going to quit smoking. I just can't stop myself from going to the store and buying cigarettes. I have, for years, justified my habit as I truly only smoke 2 cigarettes per day, usually at night. But yesterday, I started thinking about quitting and i wanted to smoke, smoke, smoke. I feel utterly helpless, I've tried so many times before. So, here I am, trying again. I had 5 smoke-free days last week, but after a busy weekend, I caved in. I'm tired of feeling guilty and left wondering why I want to continue to hurt myself. Sad.  

Edited by Mellymark
  • Like 4

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Mellymark! You've found a place where like minded people gather to share information and support each other through their quit journeys. First off. you're right. Education is key to quitting and staying quit! There's a ton of that here. All kinds of old posts from people just like you trying to quit. There's a wealth of information in those posts so keep browsing! There's also a ton of videos about smoking and quitting in the Joel Spitzer's Video page.

First thing you need to contemplate is that this is not only a habit or series of habits but it is an addiction to nicotine. That's the tough part right there. We are all nicotine addicts, whether you smoke 1 cig a day or 100. Understanding that and how nicotine addiction works to keep us smoking is key to quitting. Research and read all you can. Ask questions and participate as much as you can here. I truly believe you'll find the answers you're looking for.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard mellymark, I echo what reciprocity said above. Lots of great material here as well as a train full of quitters to support you through your journey.

I see you've been quit since June 14th? That's three weeks already, good job 😊

• Like 4

Welcome aboard ....1 cigerette or 100....is still too many ....

We have tons of great information here ...to help you on your way ....

Try our daily pledge....it's a promise that no matter what happens in your life ,you won't smoke that day ..

Its a powerful tool ....

Stick around ...you can do it ...believe in yourself ...

• Like 5

Hi Mellymark, I like the title of this post and agree with it wholeheartedly.  Education is key in improving your mindset.  Welcome to Quit Train and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  Best wishes to you for success!!  😊

• Like 6

Welcome Mellymark,

The quit train is the best place in the world to get support and education in the same place. There are truly a lot of great people here in all different stages of their quit. We will help and support you every step of the way. The first step towards your goal is to commit to being a non smoker. Then work hard everyday to keep that quit for a healthier version of yourself. This is a very achievable goal but only if you truly want it. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to Nope (not one puff ever)

• Like 5

Welcome to our site, Mellymark.

As stated above, whether you smoke 2 cigarettes a day or 2 packs a day, you are a nicotine addict.  Educating yourself about nicotine addiction is key and it seems like you have discovered that.  Support is also great as we have all been through what you are going through.  Read up on the addiction and keep reaching out for help on this site as needed.  It may seem tough at first but quitting smoking is a truly wonderful thing to do for yourself and your loved ones.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Mellymark said:

Hello, 

I'm new here and just started browsing around this site. I'm sure it's been said many times before, but I dont know how I'm going to quit smoking. I just can't stop myself from going to the store and buying cigarettes. I have, for years, justified my habit as I truly only smoke 2 cigarettes per day, usually at night. But yesterday, I started thinking about quitting and i wanted to smoke, smoke, smoke. I feel utterly helpless, I've tried so many times before. So, here I am, trying again. I had 5 smoke-free days last week, but after a busy weekend, I caved in. I'm tired of feeling guilty and left wondering why I want to continue to hurt myself. Sad.  

Welcome, Mellymark!

First things first. The only way you're going to smoke is to put one of those nasty sticks in your mouth and set it on fire. Make yourself a promise that you WILL NOT smoke ever again. Not for any reason or for no reason at all. You deserve to be a non-smoker. There are more former smokers than there are smokers so there is nothing unique to your quit that will cause you to keep smoking.

The more time that you put in between smoking your last cigarette, the easier it gets - and the healthier you get!

Today is Sunday, the day you quit smoking. Tomorrow morning is Monday.

The first Monday morning after having quit smoking

I can't quit because I'm addicted

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MarylandQuitter said:

Welcome, Mellymark!

First things first. The only way you're going to smoke is to put one of those nasty sticks in your mouth and set it on fire. Make yourself a promise that you WILL NOT smoke ever again. Not for any reason or for no reason at all. You deserve to be a non-smoker. There are more former smokers than there are smokers so there is nothing unique to your quit that will cause you to keep smoking.

The more time that you put in between smoking your last cigarette, the easier it gets - and the healthier you get!

Today is Sunday, the day you quit smoking. Tomorrow morning is Monday.

The first Monday morning after having quit smoking

I can't quit because I'm addicted

Very helpful videos. Where is the video library? Also, is this how I comment? Or is there another comment section? 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Mellymark said:

Very helpful videos. Where is the video library? Also, is this how I comment? Or is there another comment section? 

Hi Mellymark.  Feel free to comment anywhere you want.  You should be able to reply to most threads throughout the site.  Participation does help, especially early on in your quit.

The link below is a great resource to introduce yourself to this site.

Also, the video library can be found in the link below.

https://www.quittrain.com/forum/15-joel-spitzers-quit-smoking-video-library/

• Like 4

On the main page of this forum there's a list of individual pages that you can access and read until your eyes bleed (lol). There is one page Titled: Joel Spritzer's Quit Smoking Video Library. There's a train load of videos there about quitting.

You are welcome to comment on any post you read that strikes a note with you. You can also post a new topic on most pages if you like. Be sure to go to the Daily NOPE pledge daily and post up your NOPE. It helps. CB Dave normally posts the next day's Nope on that page. Depending on where you live, it could be almost a day early as he's in Australia :) 

Anyway, read on. Spend lots of time here. It helps to hang with other nonsmokers. We even have a Games page. There's some cool time-wasters there and you'll be interacting with other forum members at the same time - it's fun! Take advantage. Explore the forum.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1