The Chicken Wing Poll

notsmokinjo

Which wings are best, drums or flats?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which are chicken wings are best?

• Drums
    • Flats

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/20 at 07:17 PM

1 hour ago, catlover said:

Is their actually any meat on a wing?? I've never had them, as always thought what was the point?

Year ago, they used to be dirt cheap!  Now that they've gotten popular, they're a lot more expensive.  Why I don't know.  I rather eat thighs and drumsticks myself.  Breasts are OK if they're kept moist...sometimes they're too dry.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, catlover said:

Never seen any big meaty wings on any bird I have bought. I cant even scrape any meat off them for the cats!! 

WHY!!! it looks like a bit of gristle eughh..

She said it was the best part of the chicken ...lovely and tasty ...I never did try to agree with her ..

But ...Here are some nice and crispy butts ...lol...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, catlover said:

Never seen any big meaty wings on any bird I have bought. I cant even scrape any meat off them for the cats!! You must have bigger birds in Canada and USA. So is the meat any better than the drumstick!

Not sure about bird size but yeah, the wings I get are very meaty! I'll try and remember to take a pic next time we have 'em :) 

I would say the meat is about as good as on a regular drumstick. There wouldn't be as much meat on either the flat or the drum on a wing but close  on the one's I buy. Actually, I think the meat on the flats I buy are better :)  Cooked but still very moist!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

She said it was the best part of the chicken ...lovely and tasty ...I never did try to agree with her ..

But ...Here are some nice and crispy butts ...lol...

Chicken-Anus.jpg

We used to call those "the Pope's Nose" lol.

They always went in the compost in our house 🤢 They are very fatty I believe.

If you eat them it's kind of like mainlining butter 😵

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, jillar said:

I've eaten one or two of those and they are VERY fatty, and not the yummy fat like on a steak. More like blobby, slimy fat, not good at all 😝

You actually ate 2 after how you just described them lol

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Not sure about bird size but yeah, the wings I get are very meaty! I'll try and remember to take a pic next time we have 'em :) 

I would say the meat is about as good as on a regular drumstick. There wouldn't be as much meat on either the flat or the drum on a wing but close  on the one's I buy. Actually, I think the meat on the flats I buy are better :)  Cooked but still very moist!

What are the flats

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, catlover said:

What are the flats

The wings I buy are already separated into Drums and Flats. The actual wing part is removed and not included because it's junk.

In this pic, the ones on the left are the drums (mini drumstick) and the ones on the right are the flats (because they are flatter - not round like drumsticks).

1931595113_DrumsorFlats.jpg.8dcab721c94c04f1be0ff90b42073972.jpg

The drums have one large bone running up the centre and the flats have two thinner bones running up the centre and separated by a few millimetres. I find there's more meat that is easier to get off the bones on the flats. The drums tend to have more tendons and grizzle near the head of the drumstick which makes getting the meat off cleanly more difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G’day 

two part answer.....

marinate the chicken lollipops in soy sauce, ginger and garlic for an hour. Then dredge the lollipops in gp flour corn flower and cornmeal with a coupla teaspoon of baking powder and some black pepper.

Either fry or spray with oil and cook on the bbq ( my preferred method)

......enjoy

A839B3F1-4AB5-4D6B-98BC-981DF2FFA896.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Best baked wings ever!  You will swear they were fried (can also be done in air fryer)

Nancy’s Wings

20-30 wing pieces (drums and flats) Food City will cut up the whole wings for you.  Pat them semi-dry.

4 tablespoons baking powder (no aluminum)

2 teaspoons sriracha powder

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

2 teaspoons KOSHER salt

Preheat oven to 425.  Line baking pan with aluminum foil.  Add baking rack and spray will with non-stick spray.

Mix dry ingredients

Put 10-15 wing pieces in bowl.  Sprinkle with ¼ of dry mixture and toss.  Add additional ¼ and toss, again.  Repeat with additional 10-15 (I usually toss in two batches because it is easier)

Cook for 20 minutes and flip.  Cook for 20 minutes and flip.  Cook for an additional 15- 20 minutes.  Drain on paper towels and serve.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Mac#23 said:

Buffalo is where the real deal wings are made

All that time out in the wild hunting for the majestic winged buffalo was all for naught.

image.png.6a7841d81c5640b3a92717d8f168b9f6.png

Edited by Boo
  • Haha 6

On 7/13/2020 at 12:48 PM, Cbdave said:

You can take the tips off ( give them to the dog raw they love them).

Now that sounds gross to me.  I did not think you should give chicken bones to the dog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 4:29 PM, Nancy said:

Best baked wings ever!  You will swear they were fried (can also be done in air fryer)

Nancy’s Wings

20-30 wing pieces (drums and flats) Food City will cut up the whole wings for you.  Pat them semi-dry.

4 tablespoons baking powder (no aluminum)

2 teaspoons sriracha powder

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

2 teaspoons KOSHER salt

Preheat oven to 425.  Line baking pan with aluminum foil.  Add baking rack and spray will with non-stick spray.

Mix dry ingredients

Put 10-15 wing pieces in bowl.  Sprinkle with ¼ of dry mixture and toss.  Add additional ¼ and toss, again.  Repeat with additional 10-15 (I usually toss in two batches because it is easier)

Cook for 20 minutes and flip.  Cook for 20 minutes and flip.  Cook for an additional 15- 20 minutes.  Drain on paper towels and serve.

Thanks Nancy.  We will try this one.  My husband does his wings in the air fryer too.  He slow cooks them in chicken broth in the slow cooker for 4 hours first.  They stay moist but get crisp on the outside in the air fryer.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:54 PM, Cbdave said:

G’day 

two part answer.....

marinate the chicken lollipops in soy sauce, ginger and garlic for an hour. Then dredge the lollipops in gp flour corn flower and cornmeal with a coupla teaspoon of baking powder and some black pepper.

Either fry or spray with oil and cook on the bbq ( my preferred method)

......enjoy

A839B3F1-4AB5-4D6B-98BC-981DF2FFA896.png

OMG these look good too.  We are definitely trying these too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mee said:

Now that sounds gross to me.  I did not think you should give chicken bones to the dog.

G’day 

they are actually good for them. Cause they are not cooked the bones of the tips are only cartlidge  and soft and the dogs will enjoy a good tooth clean as they crunch them down. Now any cooked bone is a definite no no for your pet as shatter and the sharp bits can pierce thier insides. 

Regards Chris

Edited by Cbdave
  • Like 3