The Chicken Wing Poll

notsmokinjo

Which wings are best, drums or flats?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which are chicken wings are best?

• Drums
    • Flats

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/20 at 07:17 PM

So...this one came at the suggestion from one of the punters... which is good really cos I never even knew it was a thing....see in my neck of the woods this is a chicken wing...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5Fn-HSMdRnrKgARRLgTh

Then you can get Chicken nibbles that are made of drumettes and wingettes....which apparently elsewhere in the world are both called chicken wings...just drums or flats (left image & right image)...

So which do you prefer...are you team drum or team flat?

Drums or Flats.jpg

So as usual voting is anonymous...polls will close some time on next satdee, 11th July...fell free to expo as in ya choice below...cos ya never know, you could turn a swing voter and help ya cause.

• Thanks 1

Flats; hands down! It's too hard to get all the meat of the drums as far as I'm concerned. Too much cartilage or whatever up near the fatter end of the drum. Meat pulls right off the two bones on a flat :) That first pic you showed is a complete wing but the "tip" is complete junk and should be trimmed before cooking. Then you're left with the drum & flat so why not break them apart ? It's the natural order of things 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

No meat in the tips - just fat & skin & small bones/cartilage. Tasty because of the fat content & the skin but no chicken meat in the tips which is why most butchers cut them off. Restaurants will serve 'em because it counts in weight. A pound of wings with the tips has way less meat than a pound of drums & flats only. I rarely if ever eat wings at a restaurant or bar. Their wings tend to be very lean and over cooked. Mostly bone & skin! The place I buy my wings at only supplies very meaty wings. On a good day I can eat maybe 6 or 7 drums/flats which would weigh in at around 1 lb. or so. I BBQ them rather than deep fry. Skin doesn't crisp up as much but the meat is heavenly and they have a nice caramelized home made BBQ sauce with just a touch of bite to it on them 😍 

• Like 3

I like them both but I prefer the flats. The flats are easier to dip into the Bleu cheese dressing. I come from the great city of Buffalo,NY. The home of chicken wings. There's nothing like some good hot and spicy chicken wings on a cold Sunday afternoon during football season.

BIGLOGO.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mac#23 said:

I like them both but I prefer the flats. The flats are easier to dip into the Bleu cheese dressing. I come from the great city of Buffalo,NY. The home of chicken wings.

Notice he said "Bleu Cheese."  Not Ranch dressing.

This is not negotiable.  Any joint that sells wings but doesn't offer Bleu Cheese is doing it all wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Boo said:

This is not negotiable.  Any joint that sells wings but doesn't offer Bleu Cheese is doing it all wrong.

You see, Boo gets it. Real Buffalo wings come with Bleu Cheese dressing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

When I BBQ me a mess of wings, there's no dipping sauce. That would ruin the taste of the hot, sweet 'n smokey home made BBQ sauce 😉

Yes, for the Buffalo wings, or any wings deep fried, I can see the need for a dipping sauce and Blue Cheese would be my go to as well :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

Is anyone gonna invite me to a Barby ..????.....

All this is making me hungry now....I don't trust myself to light a fire ..

Don't forget the sausages ...😁

woman-on-fire-front-barbecue-260nw-195951566.jpg

You're welcome anytime. I don't normally eat sausages but for you, I'll make an exception :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, catlover said:

Is their actually any meat on a wing?? I've never had them, as always thought what was the point?

You really have to know where to buy them because you're right, most wings are skin & bones with very little chicken on them. I never eat wings at a restaurant because they are always disappointing. Over cooked and what little meat is on them is all dried out.

There's a market near where I live and they sell really large wings (uncooked of course), with the wing tips cut off (because there's zero meat there). These wings are really meaty. I can only eat about 6 in one sitting - maybe 8 if I'm really hungry. Eating them out somewhere, I'd eat 12 -16 and still be hungry

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, jillar said:

Oh dear me, you've NEVER had chicken wings?! Wings and legs are my favorite parts of the bird, yum, yum!!

I like a nice plump breast ....

I knew a girl who loved the parsons nose ( Backside).....NOPE ....

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

You really have to know where to buy them because you're right, most wings are skin & bones with very little chicken on them. I never eat wings at a restaurant because they are always disappointing. Over cooked and what little meat is on them is all dried out.

There's a market near where I live and they sell really large wings (uncooked of course), with the wing tips cut off (because there's zero meat there). These wings are really meaty. I can only eat about 6 in one sitting - maybe 8 if I'm really hungry. Eating them out somewhere, I'd eat 12 -16 and still be hungry

Never seen any big meaty wings on any bird I have bought. I cant even scrape any meat off them for the cats!! You must have bigger birds in Canada and USA. So is the meat any better than the drumstick!

33 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

I knew a girl who loved the parsons nose ( Backside).....NOPE ....

WHY!!! it looks like a bit of gristle eughh..

• Haha 4