Struggling To Get Back To Quitting

Lilley

Okay Lilley,

It's July 1st your quit day. The time has come to kick the nicotine monster to the curb. You must show him that you're going to take back control of your life without smoking. You're going to choose to be a non smoker. You're going to choose to live a happier and healthier life. You will do this for yourself because you deserve it. We will be here every step of the way. We will encourage and motivate you in any way we can to help keep you on the right path. Breaking an addiction is tough but not impossible. We are all living proof of that. You've gotten through this before and you will get through it again. I have faith in your resolve. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to Nope.

• Like 2

I am not interested in chasing you down, Lily.

Either you will quit or you won't.

But, for you and other eyes out there struggling with a decisions to quit,

I would like to put this video in the thread and a short essay from Joel at the end.

I know I will quit again

“I don’t know what happened. I just went back to smoking. But I know I will quit again.”

I often encounter similar remarks from people who relapse to smoking.

While the smoker may not recognize what led to the relapse, the reason is obvious to anyone understanding addiction.

The person took a drag on a cigarette.

While the situation that causes the first puff varies, the end result is inevitably the same.

The first puff causes a second. It may be a minute, a day or even a week later.

In some extreme cases even a longer time will pass. But the length of time is not important.

The addictive process has been set into motion.

Either the smoker becomes hooked immediately or gets a false sense of confidence leading to another drag, and still another.

Eventually the addiction will be reinforced, and once again the smoker is hooked to the deadly substance–nicotine.

So what about the idea that the smoker will just quit again some other time? There are two flaws in this concept.

First, the smoker may never again get the desire, strength or opportunity to quit.

When dealing with deadly substances, death may result and, sometimes, without advance warning.

But, often, the smoker does have the opportunity to quit again.

The only problem is that if he didn’t understand what prompted relapse the first time, the odds are he will make the same mistake again.

Once again he will face the same problem–addicted and unable to quit smoking.

If a person is enslaved in this process of on-again-off-again smoking, he must take time to consider what his particular problem is.

His past attempts failed because he refused to treat cigarette smoking as an addiction.

It is said that those who don’t learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Nowhere is this more evident than in dealing with addictions.

If he doesn’t consider the consequences of taking the first puff, he will take it.

And once again his noble attempt will be wasted.

Smokers and ex-smokers must learn from their own or better yet from other people’s mistakes.

Quitting smoking is worthwhile if you are able to stay off.

All the physical, psychological, social and financial benefits will last only as long as you remain free of cigarettes.

If you don’t smoke now, great! You understand your addiction.

If you do smoke now, quit.

You too will overcome the powerful grip of nicotine.

Then, all you need to remember to stay permanently free is NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

• Like 3

On 6/25/2020 at 2:00 PM, Lilley said:

I am going to read and set my quit window. I can't just stop as I need a plan in my head.  My window is quit by 01 July.

That's a lie we all used to tell ourselves. 
Step Number Zero: Quit the lying. Especially when lying to yourself. 

Just. Stop. 

"Planning" is mere excuse for procrastination and ... well ... not doing a damned thing. 

Nobody needs a plan. 
We ALL - every one of us - know what we need to do. 
The "plan" is set in stone as there is no other way. 

Just. Stop. Smoking. 
And never pick up another cigarette. 

No plan needed and if you maintain that there is, then The Sarge suggests you're not not gonna make it. 

Put the smokes down, FFS. 

EZPZ

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Lilley!

Good on you for seeking the support that you need! You will quit when you are ready...then again, you might quit even if you're NOT ready, if you force yourself to like you're your own parent putting yourself on smoke arrest haha.

Wouldn't it be neat if we could all just be our own parents and forbid ourselves to smoke...just like that! Tell ourselves that our health is our best asset and we must preserve it for as long as we can; that smoking is a dirty trick that was done to us by society, and then we got addicted but now we have to let go of the addiction because it's going to ruin our lives and wreck our health and eat up all our money! Wouldn't it be neat if we could be our own parent and pull ourselves by the ear away from smoking and just be done with it! 

You will quit when you are ready, or you will make yourself quit even if you're not ready because your lifelong health and fortune are more important than your addiction, and life's too short as it is. 

Hope to see you back on the train, Lilley!

• Like 2