New here today

Sarisaac

Hi. I'm introducing myself here again after a long(2 year ) break during which I went back to smoking a pack a day. My quit will start this Friday. My name is Sarah and I'm 58 years old. I have been smoking for 43 years! I have to stop! I am extremely anxious about making this change. It's VERY important to me that I succeed in staying quit this time. I have done a good amount of preparation in the last month, yet my mindset is still one of FEAR and I know that is the wrong approach. Can anyone help me with creating a positive attitude toward this quit venture? I'm going to read a lot of posts here for sure. Thanks in advance!

• Like 8

Welcome back ....

Spend the time reading all you can here ..gaining knowledge ....we have a great bunch of newbies ,so you will be in great company ...

Having said that ...why wait till Friday ????

All your doing is putting more poison in your body ..just to get rid of it again ....

No time like the present .!!!

• Like 5

Hi Sarisaac.  Remember that the discomfort you will likely feel in the early stages won't kill you.  So, knowing that, there's really no reason to be anxious.  Just bring bundles of determination.  If you make a commitment not to smoke no matter what your addict brain is telling you, there's no way you can fail.  

The benefits FAR EXCEED any distress you feel in the beginning.  Remind yourself on a daily basis of the health and financial gains you are making in addition to the overall sense of freedom. 

This may be your last chance.  Make it count.

• Like 6

Hi Sarah, welcome (back?) You said you went back to smoking,  how long were you quit before you threw it away? What is it you're fearful of? Succeeding? Having a healthier lifestyle? Or maybe it's the increased self esteem or the money you save? All of these can be very scary...…………...NOT!

There is absolutely nothing to fear with quitting Sarah. We all did it so that should be proof enough that if all of us can do it anyone can! Stick close to us, stay active and lets get this done! :) 

• Like 5

Your fear will melt away once you get started on your quit. It's quite normal to feel scared before hand Once you actually quit, all your focus will be on learning all you can about nicotine addiction and how to free yourself. Luckily, you have an army of other quitters who will give you all the support you want and need. This support is an important tool in helping you quit.

Stay focused, stay engaged with the forum. read all you can and learn from others. It will really help you succeed :) 

• Like 7

Welcome aboard, Sarah.

You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  

You are also right in wanting to have a positive attitude towards quitting.  I made several short quit attempts that failed.  This was because I viewed quitting as giving up something I loved to do.  It wasn't until I realized and fully embraced the truth that smoking did nothing positive for me that I was able to quit for good.  I was just feeding an addiction all while throwing away money on an addiction that was slowly killing me and also making me feel bad in living in a society that has grown increasingly anti-smoking.

A quit smoking forum like this really helped me.  There is a lot of advice and support you can gain here to help you quit for good.

Also, if you haven't done so, seek out Allen Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking."  Some people have mixed reactions to the book but it really helped me to see that smoking was doing nothing positive for me at all and that really helped me out.

It is great to have you here and I hope you stick around.  Quitting smoking is definitely doable and a smokefree life is worth whatever early struggles you may have.

• Like 5

Can anyone help me with creating a positive attitude toward this quit venture?

I can help ..I was a 52 year smoker ...I've never felt better ....quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself ...

Everything about being free is positive ...no negatives at All 😁

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Sarisaac said:

Hi. I'm introducing myself here again after a long(2 year ) break during which I went back to smoking a pack a day. My quit will start this Friday. My name is Sarah and I'm 58 years old. I have been smoking for 43 years! I have to stop! I am extremely anxious about making this change. It's VERY important to me that I succeed in staying quit this time. I have done a good amount of preparation in the last month, yet my mindset is still one of FEAR and I know that is the wrong approach. Can anyone help me with creating a positive attitude toward this quit venture? I'm going to read a lot of posts here for sure. Thanks in advance!

Hi Sarah, nice to meet you.  I don't think you need to worry about your fearfullness.  It is interesting though, isn't it?  We should actually be more fearful of NOT quitting than of quitting.  You say that you have done a good amount of preparation in the last month.  I'm not sure what that means but hopefully it means that you have been learning all that you can about nicotine addiction.  If not, hopefully you will dedicate some time to learn about this horrible addiction.  That will help you to see that smoking does absolutely nothing for you, thus resulting in a positive mindset!

Welcome back and best wishes to you for success!!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Can anyone help me with creating a positive attitude toward this quit venture?

I can help ..I was a 52 year smoker ...I've never felt better ....quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself ...

Everything about being free is positive ...no negatives at All 😁

^^^ This :) 

• Like 4

Hi Sarisaac.  So happy your back.  I am 65 and smoked for 43 years.  Never thought I could quit until I landed on this forum.  You have the power to do it to.  Stay close to the forum, get to know us all and and we will help guide you through.  

• Like 5

Welcome back,

Are you ready to put in the hard work and commit to quitting. This is where you make the conscious amart choice to be smoke free. You have been here before and you know what to expect when quit nicotine. So, board the train and kick that nicotine monster to the curb. You also know the truth about the wonderful support you will receive here. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to Nope.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sarisaac said:

Welcome Sara.  

You will start a marvelous adventure of self discovery. 

Quitting smoking provides a catalyst to revealing self-confidence  

and a profound trust in yourself when you stop poisoning yourself and take full charge of your well being.

Here are a few threads for you, the first is 10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself To Quit Smoking

which will help you navigate around the site.

and a few from our friend, Joel Spitzer.

The first, a must see and one I revisit every few years.

Can You Spare About An Hour And A Half To Help Save Your Life

Fears Regarding Smoking and Quitting

• Like 3

Hello Sarah,

You'll be happy to realize that it's the best decision you've made to get on the Quit train to freedom, just stay close to the forum and you'll be fine. 

There are several others like myself just got on the Quit train this month, let's stick together and ride this train to our new freedom.

John

• Like 4

Good morning Sarah! I'm one of the newbies mentioned 🙂 Fear was the main motivator for me too. After starting my quit three weeks ago it was stubborn obstinence to not give in again. I've smoked/vaped for about 40 years so I can understand everything you talked about. I can tell you that once you've quit you'll notice so many things that have nothing to do with fear, like not feeling like an outcast when around non smokers, hair smelling better, clothes smelling better, family and friends' encouragement, drawing deep breaths (my favorite) Not having to stand outside in the rain or the heat, better sleep, taste and sense of smell.  Of course the toppers are about health but these are some of the less obvious things I've discovered.

You can do this. You'll be so glad you did! Stay close to the board and check in often. Read some of the pinned posts. Joel's videos are amazing. These are great people and they'll help you more than you can imagine.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2020 at 3:49 PM, Sarisaac said:

So have you moved forward with quitting Sarah?  Hope so!  🙂

• Like 3

@Sarisaac Hey I am also one of the newbies that was mentioned. Quitting smoking can be scary, but you have done this before and you have a great support system here if you utilize it. We are all here cheering for you and are here if you need us. Post often and do your research on nicotine addiction, just read, read, read in those first few days and stick close to the boards so if you need us we can be here for you.

• Like 2