Cravings

So I mentioned before that I have been taking Chantix. I lost all interest and cravings for my vape after about 3 weeks of taking it so on June 2 I took the leap. It was ridiculously easy for the first few days then cravings came back...more psychological than physical. Would you believe yesterday, 19 days in, was the first day I barely thought about cravings at all? I was never tempted to actually use nicotine but it was uncomfortable to have the urge. Tho it WAS entertaining to figure out what the trigger was. REALLY??? THATS why you want to smoke (talking to brain)

How long did your cravings go on?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, idontsmoke said:

How long did your cravings go on?

I came to the realization after a month or so of quitting that it really didn't matter how many weeks, months or even years the cravings might go on.  What mattered was my resolve to overcome them whenever they reared their ugly head.

It's a lot more worthwhile to focus on the benefits you are attaining than dwell on the moments of temporary discomfort. 

• Like 5

Pretty much the same as BKP above. The first month I was focused on cravings; their intensity and frequency but by the end of that first month it was apparent the cravings weren't that important anymore. I had learned how to deal with them and they were less and less frequent and intense. That's about the time I started really quitting. Understanding just what my relationship to nicotine was and that it had never really done anything good or positive for me. That's when I started reading about nicotine addiction and how it controls us and what I could do to take back my own life. It was a long haul even from there but there did come a day when I knew instinctively that I had made it :) 

• Like 4

Cravings get fewer and fewer as time goes on ...and they get weaker and weaker ...

I remember being a couple of months in my quit ...and when I was going shopping some young guy asked me if I had a light .

I didn't even think about it ...I immediately said ...Sorry i don't smoke !!!!....when he passed I High Five the air 

Everyone is different ....this is why we call it a journey ...asking as you have your quit  ticket ,you can stay on the train as long as it takes you to Freedom ..

Well done @idontsmoke.....

• Like 4

Please consider what our friend, Sirius, writes

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, 

what price you are willing to pay to own yourself?" 

• Like 1

Hi Michelle, glad the chantix is working so well for you. I still get the occasional crave but the difference now is it's so weak it's more of just a thought than a crave. 

You'll see that the longer you stay quit the easier staying quit becomes. We do recommend staying close for a full year and maybe even taking the One Year Pledge to help you get past most of the triggers that will come up as we go through all the various seasons and holidays.

You are doing great, if you get a bad craving though PLEASE come here and post so we can help you past it. There's no reason to have to or want to, keep doing those first few weeks over and over again. You're worth more than that! 😊

• Like 2