SOS!

idontsmoke

Hi Everyone,

I put down the vape on 6/2 with the help with Chantix. It was pretty easy at first but today and yesterday I've had monster mental cravings and its been very, very close. I can finally breathe easier and am really enjoying the idea of being healthier and not carrying the shame (for me it feels like shame) of usually being the nicotine dependent person in any group I find myself in. These are only two of the multiple reasons I'm glad I'm still quit but the mental cravings keep coming. One day they will slow down I know but for now its taking everything in me to not go vape. I am going to throw it in the garbage at the store today. I hung onto it this long because I was trying to find someone who wanted it....but maybe the subconscious reason I kept it around is "just in case". Time to ditch it. Then treat myself somehow. Gum maybe. Or mints. 

• Like 1

Hello !

Trash it !  Get rid of your vape and anything else related to smoking !

You QUIT  and have no further use of it.  Why give it to someone else so they can injure and addict themselves ?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Hello !

Trash it !  Get rid of your vape and anything else related to smoking !

You QUIT  and have no further use of it.  Why give it to someone else so they can injure and addict themselves ?

Not giving it to someone else so they can injure themselves is something I thought of but kept coming up with reasons why it was okay..."me giving it to them wont hurt them any more than they are hurting themselves" "why waste it when someone else could use it" "its in perfect condition, its a shame to throw it away" but reading what you wrote snapped me out of it. Its not OK to give it to someone else. Thank you. I'm going to throw it away today. I feel much stronger, thank you

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Breathe through this incident.  Keep an eye on your blood sugar, sip on some fruit juice.

Think of a reward when you emerge nicotine free .  Rewards are super important.

The Significance of Rewards

How are you doing ?  Still with us ?

Thank you! The perfect reward would be a mani/pedi but the salons aren't open yet. Usually rewards for me involve food but I'm trying to get healthy so no sugar. I'm thinking peppermints or gum...I'm also planning to take myself on a picnic at the lake near my house with a healthy meal. 

• Like 3

You are welcome !

All the reasons for keeping it are voices of the addict that you must identify and refute.  You don't smoke anymore.

Congratulations on your 8 day quit !  Protect it and realize your precious freedom.

• Like 4

Rewards can take many forms.

Listening to a favorite piece of music, recalling a sweet memory...looking at something of beauty.

Small things that bring you Joy.

I rewarded myself with big beautiful breaths....oxygen was my new drug.

Just now, idontsmoke said:

I feel better already. Thank you all. I'll stay close to the board while I'm out and about today. Lets celebrate when I throw the dumb vape away!

Glad you feel better.  Stay focused.  Stay close also, there will be more folks around giving you support.

I celebrate you beating every damn crave, every trigger... and will be delighted when the poison hits the trash.

• Like 4

Welcome idontsmoke and congratulations on posting an SOS and getting past that craving 😊 Gum, mints, candy are all great ideas to keep your mouth busy. I was hooked on soft peppermint puffs for my entire first year of quitting lol.

Throw the vape away too. You won't be needing that anymore! 

We're glad to have you join our merry train of quitters. You'll find members from all over the world and in all stages of quitting. 😊

• Like 6

1 hour ago, idontsmoke said:

Hi Everyone,

I put down the vape on 6/2 with the help with Chantix. It was pretty easy at first but today and yesterday I've had monster mental cravings and its been very, very close. I can finally breathe easier and am really enjoying the idea of being healthier and not carrying the shame (for me it feels like shame) of usually being the nicotine dependent person in any group I find myself in. These are only two of the multiple reasons I'm glad I'm still quit but the mental cravings keep coming. One day they will slow down I know but for now its taking everything in me to not go vape. I am going to throw it in the garbage at the store today. I hung onto it this long because I was trying to find someone who wanted it....but maybe the subconscious reason I kept it around is "just in case". Time to ditch it. Then treat myself somehow. Gum maybe. Or mints. 

I am on Day 5 of my quit it has seemed these last couple of days the mental craves have been much harder the last couple of days. I guess when I am faced with a really strong crave I come here. I don't always feel like posting and when I don't I read, but then there are days I do and I will post often. I am here for you if you need me.

• Like 5

Welcome to the site, @idontsmoke

You are doing a great thing getting rid of the vapes.  Stick around this site.  There is a lot of support and knowledge you can get to help you on your quest for a life without nicotine.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nana20 said:

I am on Day 5 of my quit it has seemed these last couple of days the mental craves have been much harder the last couple of days. I guess when I am faced with a really strong crave I come here. I don't always feel like posting and when I don't I read, but then there are days I do and I will post often. I am here for you if you need me.

Thank you Nana and a big CONGRATULATIONS to you! We are all warriors. One thing I thought of is that no matter how many days we are quit, we can help someone else. I'm going to start watching other posts and see if I can be of encouragement to someone else. Maybe you could do the same? 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, idontsmoke said:

Thank you Nana and a big CONGRATULATIONS to you! We are all warriors. One thing I thought of is that no matter how many days we are quit, we can help someone else. I'm going to start watching other posts and see if I can be of encouragement to someone else. Maybe you could do the same? 

Exactly that is why I posted that you aren't alone that I am also on Chantix and that I am going through something similar. We are on different stages of our quit. When did you quit? 

• Like 2

Welcome back IDS! Pretty sure your were here at least briefly before?

Hanging on to that vape pipe was def. your junkie brain keeping you well prepared to jump back on the vape at a moment's notice. 

Getting rid of it not only makes it more difficult to smoke at a moment's notice but it also shows you that your commitment to staying quit is perhaps stronger than you think?

Keep moving forward. There's no going back! Nothing there to go back to - just slavery to nicotine.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, idontsmoke said:

I feel better already. Thank you all. I'll stay close to the board while I'm out and about today. Lets celebrate when I throw the dumb vape away!

It's gone yet?  Time to set off the fireworks?  You can do this.

Nana and I just decided this morning to become quit mates so we can lean on each other to support our quit.  Since you also quit at about the same time, join us.  We'll march together to our freedom from smoking.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Welcome back IDS! Pretty sure your were here at least briefly before?

Hanging on to that vape pipe was def. your junkie brain keeping you well prepared to jump back on the vape at a moment's notice. 

Getting rid of it not only makes it more difficult to smoke at a moment's notice but it also shows you that your commitment to staying quit is perhaps stronger than you think?

Keep moving forward. There's no going back! Nothing there to go back to - just slavery to nicotine.

Yep I was with a slightly different username. I was embarrassed to come back with the one I used before LOL *blush* Thank you for the support. And yes you're right....I"m getting rid of it today. I've already thrown all the juice out.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, idontsmoke said:

Yep I was with a slightly different username. I was embarrassed to come back with the one I used before LOL *blush* Thank you for the support. And yes you're right....I"m getting rid of it today. I've already thrown all the juice out.

Nothing embarrassing about coming back to quit again and likely save your life - nothing!

• Like 5

Sweetheart ...

Changing names won't make your quit solid ... unless you change your way of thinking ...

You have some quit buddies ...you can do it ....

Same rule as ever ...Never Take Another Puff Ever .....Ditch the Vape.....be kind to your lungs Don't  be embarrassed.....let's get the job done once and for all ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Sweetheart ...

Changing names won't make your quit solid ... unless you change your way of thinking ...

You have some quit buddies ...you can do it ....

Same rule as ever ...Never Take Another Puff Ever .....Ditch the Vape.....be kind to your lungs Don't  be embarrassed.....let's get the job done once and for all ...

Thats the plan....changing my way of thinking, my attitude, my self talk, reading, watching videos....the different name was to try to avoid embarrassment not to make my quit more solid

• Like 2

I agree with Doreen Michelle, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. You did the right thing by posting your SOS. Just do that EVERY time you feel yourself caving because as you can see, it works 😊

• Like 2

Welcome idontsmoke,

You have just make the best decision of your life by deciding to quit. You are going to be a much happier and healthier version of yourself. The second best decision you made was joining this site. This is by far one of the best support sites on the net. There are videos and articles that are available to help assist you with your quit. The site is full of caring and helpful people that are new to quitting like myself or others with years under their belt. Your quit is all about full commitment and smart choices. It will be hard work but it is totally achievable. Smart choices are made when you don't let your inner junkie to rationalize you into giving up your quit. Commit to defeating the nicotine monster once and for all. Plus, never be afraid to ask for help. Everyone needs a little help every now and again. We've all been in that situation. So, stay safe, make smart choices and remember the Nope (not one puff ever) pledge.

• Like 1