Back, sad and smoking again.

Keep that wonderful list of reasons for quitting close at had so you can read them over and over as the cravings try to convince you to give up on quitting. Those reasons are powerful and they will not change - ever!

Maybe even post them up in the "Prerespond To Your Own SOS" thread which is located on the SOS page. That way it's there for you to reread whenever you like.

• Like 4

You have what it takes to beat this thing. You have done it before so you know what it takes to persevere. You also know that deep down inside you don't want to be a smoker anymore. The list of reasons why should and want to quit is a great idea. It's the little things that will assist you in getting through the tuff cravings. Just read them every morning and every night. Never forget that you have choices in life. Refusing to smoke and give into the junkie nicotine thinking is just one of them. Be smart, safe and make good choices and always remember to NOPE. 

• Like 3

I'm happy for you! Use the deep breathing exercise if/when a craving hits. I have found that after a few slow deep breaths that the craving has passed. You can do this!

We are here to help you!

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Heather,

Welcome back!  You have received a lot of good advice.  I'd just like to add that it's much easier to hang on to your current quit than to start a new one.  I learned that lesson myself after losing an over-2-year quit and it taking me over 1 1/2 years to start the next one.  Stick with it!  Smoking does absolutely nothing good for you!!

Mona

• Like 5

Thanks everyone ---- I have to admit I am having a REALLY hard time this morning... I am just going out of my skin - I have tried everything ( lollipop, walk, drink water) and it gets me through each minute but UGH it does not seem to have longevity today... I want a smoke ----- I won't smoke because I pledged I wouldn't and I take my word very seriously - but I have to admit I almost did not pledge today - it seems like it will be the longest day of my life...... even with NRT - my anxiety goes through the roof the first 4 weeks - triggered by getting the nicotine out of my system  - the withdrawals do cause me to have crazy and often depressing thoughts... IKNOW this is not forever - but right now I feel like getting through the day is going to be a long gruelling process.... 

• Like 2

I was wondering. Did you ever make a list of the reasons and benefits of why you are quitting? This can be a very beneficial tool in helping with days like this. Once you have written your initial list you should read thru it each morning and night. You should also keep a copy with you so that you can remind yourself why you want and have to achieve this goal during tough times. It sounds a little weird but it works. Stay safe, make smart choices and always remember the NOPE pledge.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, HeatherDianne said:

Thanks everyone ---- I have to admit I am having a REALLY hard time this morning... I am just going out of my skin - I have tried everything ( lollipop, walk, drink water) and it gets me through each minute but UGH it does not seem to have longevity today... I want a smoke ----- I won't smoke because I pledged I wouldn't and I take my word very seriously - but I have to admit I almost did not pledge today - it seems like it will be the longest day of my life...... even with NRT - my anxiety goes through the roof the first 4 weeks - triggered by getting the nicotine out of my system  - the withdrawals do cause me to have crazy and often depressing thoughts... IKNOW this is not forever - but right now I feel like getting through the day is going to be a long gruelling process.... 

• Like 2

Our friend Soberjulie wrote this when she first quit:

You don't have to be #1 at anything today.

You don't have to figure things out, or understand, or make sure everyone (or Someone) understands you.

You don't have to remember everything, or get all organized and start making lists.
You don't have to solve every -- or any -- problem you have today (or solve someone else's problems today either).

You don't have to figure out what will make you happy, or what you should do with your life.

Those are good things to do of course, and come with a measure of reward or satisfaction or comfort. That's very true. I'm not saying those things are completely unimportant.

But you don't have to do any of those things today.

All you have to do today is not pick up that first cigarette.

One hour at a time.

One five minutes at a time.

Until your head hits the pillow.

And if you do that,

you win.

That's it.
And the rest of that s*** will just have to work itself out or wait its turn.

Smoke free first.

The rest second.

I love recycling.

• Like 4

I used to use a pencil (others use straws aka JACs) to hold in their fingers and go through the motion of bringing it to the mouth and inhaling.  Anything is ok as long as you don't light up. 

I had a list of daily triggers already - after breakfast, before starting work, morning break, lunch break, good meeting, bad meeting etc as well as a list of places where I used to smoke - back door at work, bench at local library etc.  Once I was somewhat semi-confident of my quit, I went around to those places and triggers and stood there or sat there and did not smoke.  The theory was - if I faced the trigger on my own terms then I was better prepared to fight it.  Then, when I did encounter a trigger suddenly, these experiences would have prepared me to face it i.e. I would know to deep breathe, that the trigger would pass soon, basically have the technique and confidence to beat it.

I also used to play a mental game of hitting the trigger with a hammer and silently scream (I think silently but who knows) - DIE TRIGGER DIE.  I remember someone had drawn a visual of the game with Thor's hammer ...

Hope you can use some of these techniques.

• Like 4