This Quit has to be my last

JohnQ

Hello everyone,

As the title indicated, I want to make this time the last time I quit.

I was a smoker for many years, started way back in my late teen years, so almost 40 years now, it horrified me just now when I figured out the # of years I got hooked.

I tried to quit hundreds of times as well, the last time I quit was about 4-5 years ago, it was the longest quit for about 2 years. 

But then after 2 years, I was naive and thought that because I could do it that time, if I had the occasional smoke I could do it again, and I got pulled back in.

When I realized I got hooked again, I started reading up about quitting again, but this time I switched over to vaping, with the hope to phase it out slowly and because I was reading that it has much less poisons and chemicals than burning leaves.

Make a long story short, I decide to quit for good a week ago.  On May 19 I had my last drag from the vape.  

The quit this time was very different from previous quits, it was much less difficult.  Surprisingly I didn't have any withdrawal issue, no anxiety, no cravings, no depression, not any kind of physical sign from nicotine withdrawal like previous quits.  

But now that a week has gone by, even though I haven't felt any nicotine craving, occasionally I suddenly wanted to pick up a vape again and I've been struggling between 2 thoughts, 1 thought is "just a few drags, then quit again", the other thought is "don't be stupid, there's never just a few drags, drop it!"   

So far, my level-headed side had won the argument, I just don't understand why I have these urges when I can't feel any nicotine withdrawal symptom, but I'm very worry that if these urges keep coming back I may fail again like all previous quit.  I REALLY want to kick this addiction for good so help me God.

Thanks for reading

• Like 10

Welcome to our merry little band of quitters, @JohnQ.

So glad you have quit nicotine.

Stay focused and educated yourself, this will explain much of what you are experiencing.

You are a nicotine addict.  We are all nicotine addicts.

The addiction takes thought and time and energy in order to put it to sleep.

It also takes a lifetime commitment to NOPE.

A commitment to NOPE is essential.  I loved seeing your NOPE this morning. 

It IS about the NOW.  NOPE every second of the day through the day.

Soon the days add up. and you will begin to know your new nicotine free self.  

Here is a thread that may help you build a sturdy and successful quit.

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

...A commitment to NOPE is essential...

Thanks and I really need to commit to NOPE, I think joining this forum will help my quit.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Paul723 said:

The Law of Addiction

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment
of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Welcome to the best decision you'll ever make.

Thanks Paul, I will need to keep reminding myself that it was the best decision and I will stick with it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JohnQ said:

I just don't understand why I have these urges when I can't feel any nicotine withdrawal symptom,

You have those urges because you are addicted to nicotine. Having the urges IS a nicotine withdrawal symptom and the most dangerous one of them all because that's the one that will try to convince you to have "just one". 

Welcome John, I'm convinced that being surrounded by people who knew just what I was going through helped me get my forever quit and I hope we can do the same for you :) 

• Like 7

Welcome John....

We have tons of great information to help you along your journey ....There is no such thing as just one ....

We are addicts ....one is all it takes to wake the monster up,and the whole cycle starts again ...

Learn all you can here ...it will give you the tools to fight with ...

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JohnQ said:

I'm very worry that if these urges keep coming back I may fail again like all previous quit. 

Do you act on every urge you have?  I bet you don't.

Why should the urge to smoke or vape be treated any differently than every other urge?  The urges will be there, addiction is like that.

When the urge to smoke or vape hits, you have a decision to make...just like you do to act or not act on any other urge.  Choose wisely.  Choose freedom.

Welcome aboard the Quit Train John.

• Like 8

Welcome John,

It's so good that you have finally decided it's time to quit for good. This is going to be hard work and will take your full commitment to achieve. There is no such thing as I'll just have one and then I'll quit again. This is just you falling prey to the junkie inside you. I've attempted to quit many times as well and smoked for over 37 years. I have fallen for that whole thing of just one or two smokes or drags and then I'll quit again. This doesn't work Ever. I'm in the midst of what I believe is going to be my forever quit.  I coming up on almost 2 months nicotine and cigarette free. I decided to fully committ to this and have decided that nothing was going to interrupt that. Then I decided to find a support system and ended up here. It is one of the best decisions I ever made. So, welcome to the quit train. Strap in and enjoy the ride. We will help you along this hard but truly rewarding journey. 

• Like 6

Welcome aboard, @JohnQ! Read all you can here and watch the Joel Spitzer videos...and participate in the forums....I have found online support to be key to my own quit...and keeping it!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jillar said:

You have those urges because you are addicted to nicotine. Having the urges IS a nicotine withdrawal symptom and the most dangerous one of them all because that's the one that will try to convince you to have "just one". 

Welcome John, I'm convinced that being surrounded by people who knew just what I was going through helped me get my forever quit and I hope we can do the same for you :) 

Thank you Jillar

3 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Welcome John....

We have tons of great information to help you along your journey ....There is no such thing as just one ....

We are addicts ....one is all it takes to wake the monster up,and the whole cycle starts again ...

Learn all you can here ...it will give you the tools to fight with ...

Thanks Doreen

3 hours ago, Boo said:

Do you act on every urge you have?  I bet you don't.

Why should the urge to smoke or vape be treated any differently than every other urge?  The urges will be there, addiction is like that.

When the urge to smoke or vape hits, you have a decision to make...just like you do to act or not act on any other urge.  Choose wisely.  Choose freedom.

Welcome aboard the Quit Train John.

Thanks Boo

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mac#23 said:

Welcome John,

It's so good that you have finally decided it's time to quit for good. This is going to be hard work and will take your full commitment to achieve. There is no such thing as I'll just have one and then I'll quit again. This is just you falling prey to the junkie inside you. I've attempted to quit many times as well and smoked for over 37 years. I have fallen for that whole thing of just one or two smokes or drags and then I'll quit again. This doesn't work Ever. I'm in the midst of what I believe is going to be my forever quit.  I coming up on almost 2 months nicotine and cigarette free. I decided to fully committ to this and have decided that nothing was going to interrupt that. Then I decided to find a support system and ended up here. It is one of the best decisions I ever made. So, welcome to the quit train. Strap in and enjoy the ride. We will help you along this hard but truly rewarding journey. 

Thanks Mac, I'm glad I found this site as well

3 hours ago, Rozuki said:

Welcome aboard, @JohnQ! Read all you can here and watch the Joel Spitzer videos...and participate in the forums....I have found online support to be key to my own quit...and keeping it!

Thanks Rozuki

• Like 3

Welcome to the Train JohonQ :)  Just want to illustrate that with some slight change to your outlook, you can make a huge difference in the outcome of your quit 👍

"I want to make this time the last time I quit." Change this to ..... I am fully committed to making this the last time I quit!

"I'm very worry that if these urges keep coming back I may fail again like all previous quit.  I REALLY want to kick this addiction for good so help me God."

Change this to ..... I'm not at all worried about occasional urges because they are just urges and I'm fully committed to quitting this time! I REALLY want to kick this addiction for good this time so help me God and nothing will stop me from achieving my goal!

My point is, commitment & positivity will take you all the way to life long freedom. Trust me ..... it's true!

• Like 5

Welcome JohnQ!  You found the right place to help you quit.  We are all here to help you  on this journey.  Stay close to the forum.  Read as much as you can, play some games and join the humor.  I smoked for 42 years and tried many different methods to quit and was finally able with the support here.  Just keep going forward and don't look back.  You can do this!

• Like 3

Welcome JohnQ!

Sometimes the excitement in the beginning keeps you going, then reality sets in and kinda freaks you out.

When you decide that Smoking Is Not An Option, there is no failure to worry about. No smoking. No Matter What

Not always easy, but we are here to support you.

It's your choice, so take control. This is your sticky quit. Believe it.🙂

One day at a time...............

• Like 3

Quitting with fellow Quitters ,made all the difference with this quit ...It makes a difference knowing folks have your back ...you can do it Jeff ...we have all been where you are ....

Taking it one day at a time ... starting with a NOPE ...

• Like 3

Wow, not having any physical withdrawal symptoms sounds like a dream come true...run with it!  Regarding the smoking urges (thoughts), there doesn't seem to be a way around that.  Just need to wait for your brain to catch up with your desire to quit.  Welcome aboard and best wishes to you for success!!  😊

Edited by Mona
clarity
  • Like 4