Some withdrawal kicking in

Mona

I'm starting to feel some withdrawal symptoms...foggy brain and crabbiness.  Had a foggy brain incident earlier today.  Went to the store to pick up a few things for dinner.  Was in the self checkout line, had a problem with one of the items ringing up.  Worker was not very nice and barked at me to use the hand-held scanner.  That didn't work so I asked her to help.  She had to do it all by hand.  I finished scanning my items and paid.  Now, there have been a couple of times in my life where I have left my stuff at the checkout and walked away.  What I ended up doing today was much worse.  Instead of going to my car to unload the groceries...which over many years I am programmed to do...I went directly to where you take your empty cart and left the cart...only my groceries were still in it.  When I got to my car, all of a sudden, I was thinking where is my food?  I looked all over my car and didn't see the bags.  I ran in the store to the checkout area...no bags.  Went to the crabby, unhelpful lady and told her that I thought I left my groceries in the store, did she see them?  No she said in a very nasty tone...I really felt like smacking her across the face or stomping on her foot.  I went back outside and went to all of the cart return areas that were anywhere in the vicinity of my car.  As I approached one that was a little bit further away, I saw a few bags in one of the carts.  I was thinking what the hell is wrong with me?  Am I losing my mind?  And then it dawned on me.  I'm on day 3 or 4 of 1/3 less nicotine.  I have the foggy brain syndrome.  Damn!  I was hoping to get out of all of that shit!

So, I didn't feel like I needed an SOS but I did feel the need to vent.  I feel much better now.  Oddly, during my issues earlier today, I didn't really feel a desire to smoke.  I did feel frustrated but it was aimed at some unknow thing...very strange!

😠😢🤯

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Ugh, the brain fog is the worse! Glad you found your groceries, I have to admit to giggling though just picturing it 😂 And I'm super glad you didn't have any desire to smoke! 😊

• Like 6

During the first week of my quit, I was getting ready for work one morning.  As I was putting on my shoes, something didn't feel quite right.  Pants...I forgot to put on my pants.

The fog clears and eventually you will see things clearer than you have in a long time.  The fogginess is a phase most, if not all, of us had to stumble and bumble through.

You've made great progress Mona.  Clear skies are ahead for you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Wow... Sorry for laughing at this but it just struck me funny. Especially how you described the whole incident. I'd like to relate to this foggy brain thing but I don't believe I went through this. Sounds like it might be a little frustrating and maddening. I do sympathize with you though.

• Like 4

Oh, I don't know -- I'm still mad at the crabby, unhelpful checkout lady.  Grocery stores are stressful enough these days without getting a load of snark with your bananas.  I'm glad there was a happy ending but it was kind of funny getting there (of course, I once took my cart the way to my car, unloaded one large item and then drove off without the rest so I can relate).  Good job leaving any thoughts of smoking out of the equation.   

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Boo said:

During the first week of my quit, I was getting ready for work one morning.  As I was putting on my shoes, something didn't feel quite right.  Pants...I forgot to put on my pants.

The fog clears and eventually you will see things clearer than you have in a long time.  The fogginess is a phase most, if not all, of us had to stumble and bumble through.

You've made great progress Mona.  Clear skies are ahead for you.

Oh no, Boo, that could've went down bad.  Good thing you noticed before it was too late!  😄

Edited by Mona
typo
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jordan7 said:

Oh, I don't know -- I'm still mad at the crabby, unhelpful checkout lady.  Grocery stores are stressful enough these days without getting a load of snark with your bananas.  I'm glad there was a happy ending but it was kind of funny getting there (of course, I once took my cart the way to my car, unloaded one large item and then drove off without the rest so I can relate).  Good job leaving any thoughts of smoking out of the equation.   

I totally agree about the snark, Jordan.  We need to be handled with great care these days.  The thing is, I have never had any sort of negative experience at this particular store.  I have even thought that the workers there were especially nice.  Hopefully it is just a one off.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Mona said:

I totally agree about the snark, Jordan.  We need to be handled with great care these days.  The thing is, I have never had any sort of negative experience at this particular store.  I have even thought that the workers there were especially nice.  Hopefully it is just a one off.

Maybe just a bad day or hour, and to be fair it has to be a thousand times more stressful for the grocery workers who have to be out there all day dealing with all sorts of things that they didn't sign up for, so I have to get better at giving any snarky encounters the benefit of the doubt and be sure to handle them with care also.  Crazy times, and I'm so impressed with you for keeping your quit solid and your sense of humor mostly intact through it all. 

• Like 5

Had a good laugh, Mona, at the story ... and I can relate as well.  I went through a period of fogginess also when it was hard to stay focused on things.  Please enjoy it while you can because it will go away soon.

Congratulations on 1 month!

• Like 5