New to this Forum!

JH63

On 6/25/2020 at 11:27 PM, JH63 said:

@idontsmoke Yes, I'm still here. I'm back to lurking, like I did before I became a member of the forum. I hope your quit is still going well!

I am reading all I can about nicotine addiction long term. I have know for many years that I'm a nicotine addict. I think the part of my addiction that I've had trouble accepting is the fact that I will always be a nicotine addict. I will always have to guard any quit, no matter the length. I know now that back in my mid teens, when I smoked that first cigarette I changed my brain forever. It's a bad situation and very depressing!

Take Care of your quit!

Jeff

Here is a piece I wrote about my  resentment over nicotine addiction.

I'll bump it to the board also so, you don't miss it, Jeff.

Lifetime of Addiction

• Like 4

On 6/26/2020 at 12:27 AM, JH63 said:

I know now that back in my mid teens, when I smoked that first cigarette I changed my brain forever. It's a bad situation and very depressing!

It's true that you did forever change your brain.  However, as long as you never put another cigarette in your mouth and light it, you can get pretty darn close to being like a never-smoker.  If quitting was so bad, there wouldn't be so many ex-smokers!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mona said:

It's true that you did forever change your brain.  However, as long as you never put another cigarette in your mouth and light it, you can get pretty darn close to being like a never-smoker.  If quitting was so bad, there wouldn't be so many ex-smokers!

^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

HI!

I'd like to wish everyone here a great New Year!  

I haven't posted here for a long time, but I have been lurking. I have decide to start my New Year with a new quit attempt. This past year I didn't smoke for 121 days total, seven different quits. The longest for 31 days the rest for various lengths of time.

Nicotine addiction has a death grip on me.

My health is getting steadily worse all the time. Shortness of breath, poor circulation in my legs and feet, I've already got a pacemaker.

With any normal person that would be enough to motivate them to quit for good, not just stop for awhile and then go back to it. But not me! That nicotine monster is embedded into my brain 50 years deep.

I know that I have to do this myself, for myself. I've known this since I quit drinking almost three years ago. Either way it goes it's on me. There is no substitution for my own willpower.

I have a quit plan, but it doesn't very much from past quit plans.

I'll let you know how things go.

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 6

Thanks for the Happy New Year wishes, @JH63  I wish you a Happy New Year too.

Quitting smoking will definitely guarantee a healthier new year.  I suggest sticking around here and finally quit for good.  I know it can be tough but the people here can attest that quitting smoking is definitely doable and is worth it.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 7

Glad to hear you're ready to quit, lets make this your sticky one! You'll be happy to find that improved circulation is one of the first benefits you feel from quitting. I hope you stick close and reach out when you need us. 

Happy New Year to you too 😊

• Like 7

Hi JH63,

This is your time to start your forever quit. First and foremost you need to believe you can kick the habit for good. Have faith in yourself. Then hop on the Quit train and get started. You should read the available articles, watch the videos and gain all the knowledge you can. Knowledge is power and it will help on your journey. We will also be here to support the whole way. This all comes down to you committing 100% to your quit. Good Luck and Happy New year.

• Like 6

Day One is going well so far! I keep catching myself heading back to the spot I normally smoke during the winter. Then I distract myself by going somewhere else or doing something different. I'm positive right now!

Watched one and a half hours of Joel's videos this morning. I've watched many of them multiple times in the past. The one titled "Waiting to bottom out" really described my thinking ( or attitude ) towards quitting smoking.

I've been waiting on some bad news ( health-wise ) to force me into quitting. I talk my doctor into running certain tests on me thinking something will show up that forces my hand. Now that is just more proof of how messed-up my thinking about this addiction is.

As he explains hitting bottom with smoking can be crippling or deadly. Waiting for a health problem to happen in order to convince yourself to quit may be to late to help at all. I believe him!

Have a Great Day!

Jeff

Edited by JH63
  • Like 6

Happy New Year Jeff, I'm glad your day 1 is going well. Joel's videos have helped a lot of people so I'm happy they're helping you too :) Your dr. is right, I'm glad you didn't  wait until a health issue forced you. The damage may already be done as I found out the hard way.... Don't be me! Stay smoke free :) 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, JH63 said:

I've been waiting on some bad news ( health-wise ) to force me into quitting. I talk my doctor into running certain tests on me thinking something will show up that forces my hand. Now that is just more proof of how messed-up my thinking about this addiction is.

As he explains hitting bottom with smoking can be crippling or deadly. Waiting for a health problem to happen in order to convince yourself to quit may be to late to help at all. I believe him!

What you are experiencing is often called "junkie thinking."  As nicotine addicts, our mind is constantly trying to trick us  into seeing some value to smoking so you can get your next fix.  This psychological addiction is sometimes harder to fight than the physical one but the only thing you get out of a cigarette is that next nicotine fix.

The fact that you are waiting for bad news to force you into quitting shows how messed up the addiction is.  Fight through this.  In time, things will get better.  You just have to realize that nothing at all positive comes from smoking.  It is solely about feeding a deadly addiction.

Congrats on doing so well with Day 1.  You can do this!

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 6

Glad to see you back JB ....

I had a health scare before I quit ...double foot amputation ....

Please you don't want to be given that news ...

Don't wait for that or worse .....

Fight for your Freedom ....your health is so worth it ....

I was a 52 year smoker ....it's possible ....you have to want it bad enough ...

Watch and read everything you can here ...stay close ....

You can do it ...!!

• Like 5

Got day one behind me! It wasn't that bad!  But I will keep my guard up.  I'll try to protect my quit. 

Need to be thinking about the value of the quit.  I cannot understand how I can throw such a valuable thing away time after time.

Thanks Everyone!

Jeff

• Like 3

Need to be thinking about the value of the quit.  I cannot understand how I can throw such a valuable thing away time after time.

Your Quit is the most valuable thing ....it's precious and you have to treat it this way ....

It's the most important thing in your life just now ....Guard it well.....

Don't throw away this one ....together we can make this your sticky quit ....

Freedom is the best gift you can give yourself ....

• Like 4

It's day two!  Woke up this morning to a case of  brain fog. Took me about three hours to come around. Drank some caffeine, took a shower. I know a shot of nicotine would have brought me around. But I abstained from doing that! I don't have any cigarettes here at home anyway!

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 7

Day two is done!  It was much worse than day one. Praying for a Better day three. After the fog finally lifted, I spent the rest of the day nervous and jittery. I know from past quits that I don't normally have many days like this, but I'm bound to have some. I can't wipe out 50 years of smoking in a day, a month, or even a year.

@Doreensfree Thanks for your replies! They are encouraging and appreciated! I see that you have been quit for a long time.  Congratulations on being able to beat this addiction!

• Like 4

You're beating this addiction too Jeff everyday you stay smoke free! At three days quit all the nicotine will pretty much be out of your system and for me it got harder because my body really wanted its fix. So be prepared in case that happens(not that it will). Stick close, post an SOS if needed, stock up on hard candies to suck on. I was stuck on soft peppermint puffs my whole first year but hey I never smoked and ate at the same time so keeping my mouth full of those was well worth it 😊

You're doing great!!!!!!

• Like 4

On 12/31/2020 at 4:23 PM, JH63 said:

HI!

I'd like to wish everyone here a great New Year!  

I haven't posted here for a long time, but I have been lurking. I have decide to start my New Year with a new quit attempt. This past year I didn't smoke for 121 days total, seven different quits. The longest for 31 days the rest for various lengths of time.

Nicotine addiction has a death grip on me.

My health is getting steadily worse all the time. Shortness of breath, poor circulation in my legs and feet, I've already got a pacemaker.

With any normal person that would be enough to motivate them to quit for good, not just stop for awhile and then go back to it. But not me! That nicotine monster is embedded into my brain 50 years deep.

I know that I have to do this myself, for myself. I've known this since I quit drinking almost three years ago. Either way it goes it's on me. There is no substitution for my own willpower.

I have a quit plan, but it doesn't very much from past quit plans.

I'll let you know how things go.

Take Care!

Jeff

JH63, You are approaching this quit from a place of weakness instead of from a place of authority. You can without a single fail, quit smoking and stay quit for the rest of your life.

Instead of saying "I have decide to start my New Year with a new quit attempt", how about "I've made a decision to quit smoking and I pledge to never, ever take another puff of nicotine." Be bold. Speak with intent. You are now accountable to all of us here at the support group.

As long as you think that nicotine has a death grip on you - you're admitting defeat. Although it's true that nicotine is very addictive, it has no power over your mind or body.

Please lay out your plan to quit smoking so I can take a look at it and perhaps add my two cents. Thanks! :)

• Like 6

First time i tried to quit cigarettes i thought it was like quitting some bigger harmful drug  .

I thought about cigarettes like heroin .

Because it was that hard to quit for me in the beginning .

The cravings and firing inside my brain for cigarettes  was so strong

My head was more like trying to control my heroin addiction , lol

I had to stop it and somehow i did stop it .

What a relief these days

Take your addiction a little bit more seriously

Thanks

• Like 6

JH

I was no more or less addicted to nicotine than you are ..

Yes I do have a nice quit ...but I was day one just like you ....

You have to make that strong decision .Never Smoke Again Ever ....and stick to it ....

The longer your quit ,the more stronger you are ...

Everyone sitting on the Train has been where you are ....

Be determined to get to your Freedom ...and you WILL get there ......

• Like 4

HI People,

Day three is done! It was better than yesterday, but not as good as day one.

@MarylandQuitter I understand what you are saying. I've always been a person who thinks about the glass being half empty, not have full. This goes for everything in my life not just quitting smoking.  It's a wonder I have been able to do the things in my life that I have, considering my negative attitude.

I was thinking today about all the people I know who have quit smoking, and how many people I associate with, both family and friends who smoke. The number is zero! I see other people who smoke when I'm out, but  I don't know one other smoker. My bother quit smoking four years ago, but he started using snuff as a replacement. I won't do that!

I'll keep going and try to think more positively about what I am doing for myself.

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 4

Upwards and Onwards JH....

Just a reminder ...we have a full page of games and fun things ....to help Pass the time ...

Also funny animals ...listen to songs ...post funny things ....

Quitting doesn't have to be doom and gloom ...it can be lots of fun ...

You can do it ...

• Like 4