New to this Forum!

JH63

I thought I would write a little about how I'm feeling at this point in my quit! (Starting day 27) Cravings and urges are still around. They are less severe and they come further apart! I still think about smoking several times a day, but so far I have been able to talk myself out of it. I think I can continue to do so!

I am very tired most of the time. I don't get much done, and I sleep a lot. I've been asking myself, if any of my energy will come back. I know that I got a lot of my energy from nicotine and caffeine. I'm not getting any nicotine and I have cut my caffeine intake in half. I don't feel bad physically or mentally, just run down. To be honest, I didn't have a ton of energy before quitting. 47 or 48 years of poisoning myself has taken a toll on my body!

My wife's sister has been here for the week and will be here for another week. My youngest daughter is getting married on the 20th and my sister in law came to help out with the decorations and other things. Her husband and some other family members will be here next weekend. 

I will have to find some energy to get through this wedding! And for everyone's sake, I need to be in a good mood! I love my daughter and she had such big plans for this wedding. Then the virus came along and with all the restrictions at the church and the reception hall, everything had to be scaled back. I will help her to make it the best it can be. They don't want to wait until the restrictions ease up.

I'm determined not to let any pressures or stress from what's going on around me effect my quit. I've never said this before, but my wife and daughter have not said one thing about my quitting smoking. I get along with both of them just fine! I have quit so many times before (four times this year alone) that I don't think they are too excited about it. I can't expect them to be. I have to do this for myself anyway!

Take Care! Jeff

Edited by JH63
  • Like 6

You're doing great, Jeff, and for the right reasons.  I didn't tell my wife until I was in week 3 since I had failed so many times before that I didn't want to talk about it until I was somewhat sure of my quit.

The lethargy is normal.  Many of us have gone through the period of lethargy.  It will go away.  

I took up running as a way to make myself feel good.  When I initially started, I couldn't run to the end of the street and back and would be wheezing and coughing while I sat on the front steps for 15 mins to recover.  After some months, there came a day when my legs felt tired before I ran out of breath - that was SO HUGE for me.  I mean, I don't think anyone ever felt so happy that their legs were tired.

My point is, find a way to reward yourself and feel good.  Many people go for walks or take up running or cycling or some other form of physical activity.  See what works for you.  It should help you get out of the lethargy stage faster.

• Like 6

Hi Jeff, sounds like you've been busy! I didn't have any energy either after quitting. It felt like all my energy went to trying to right all the years of smoking damage I had done. Plus, like you, I cut my coffee consumption in half without even meaning to. Hopefully with time,  and healing you'll start getting your energy back.

As far as your wife and daughter not saying anything goes, they probably are just not to you. My husband didn't say anything to me but I knew he was happy because our friends would come over and congratulate me on quitting. I waited a couple days to tell him I had quit and hadn't told anyone else so he had to of. That's how I knew he was happy I finally quit.

• Like 4

Wow!!..you have been busy ...

I quit that many times ...no body took any notice either at first ...or so I thought....

It came out later they were all very proud of me ...

Your energy will come back ..I'm more fit now than I ever was ...my legs and feet were too painful to do any form of excercise....due to no circulation ...

Now ..you carnt stop me ....

• Like 5

Hey Jeff,

You're doing great. Since this whole pandemic and quitting smoking I've put on 12lbs. I haven't been as active as I would like either. Now that I've gone back to work I'm slowly bringing my activity rate back up. They things you seek will come in time. I'm sure your family is proud of you for quitting. They probably are trying to not jinx your quit because they secretly want this to be your forever quit as well. A wedding is supposed to be a joyous time. Have a good time, congratulations and keep at it. You got this.

• Like 5

What you're experiencing all sounds normal Jeff and I agree, your wife and daughter are likely on silent mode with fingers crossed :)  You'll get through the wedding and will have a wonderful time I'm sure. Little further along in my own quit, my daughter got married. Not only that but we mover houses the week after. Was so busy and focused on stuff during that time, it didn't even occur to me until later that I never once even thought about having a smoke to settle my nerves. I will admit, I slept for what seemed like a month afterward though 😂 Just think. You'll be able to celebrate your 1 month anniversary just prior to the wedding. Both should be great celebrations!

• Like 6

A lot of this sounds normal, Jeff.  The tired feelings should get better with time, along with fewer cravings, etc.

Keep up the great work!  You are doing an awesome thing by quitting smoking.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JH63 said:

I am very tired most of the time. I don't get much done

J, I slept quite a bit, in the beginning.  I actually welcomed it because it helped me through the tough beginning.   I promise your energy will get better as your self esteem grows.  I'm so sorry your daughter's plans were affected by the darn virus.  I am sure the excitement of celebrating with her will give way to you feeling better.  You are giving her the biggest gift by quitting smoking.  You will be there to help her make many memories in her new life!   Hang in there J.  You are doing great!

• Like 5

Thanks for all your support! I'm glad to hear that being tired is a normal part of the quit process and should let up at some point. Got up this morning grouchy, but after I got my head together it was a pretty good day.

I'm not panicky or over reacting to anything right now. I'm calm! I am still going to be on my guard. I'm going to come here everyday, and stick to my quit plan. ODAAT! I've lost several quits right around this time period. I think I'm better prepared than I've ever been to go the distance. I always wanted my quits to be over with quick. I now understand that it can't be that way. It's a long journey that I may always have to deal with on some level. I feel bad about ever becoming addicted to nicotine in the first place. But that's the way it is. I can't undo the past, I can only try to make the future better!

Take Care! Jeff

• Like 4

I've reffered quitting as doing the Hokey Cokey....

You have to put your whole self in ...100%......

Once you have made that decision never to smoke again ever ..no matter what ...even if your arse was on fire .,

It becomes clearer ....

It is a journey ......once you reach your destination ...the view is amazing....

Upwards and onwards Jeff ...

• Like 4

HI!

I am now four weeks and one day quit!

I am writing this because it was the worst day I've had on this quit! By lunch time I knew I was in real trouble. Nervous, shaky, couldn't quit thinking about smoking. 

Went back and read my pre-response to my SOS several times.

Here's what I think happened. That four weeks quit was a goal for me. I reached it, and it was like I didn't know what to do after I reached it. I know that I've got to get my mind back into this quit. I'm still not thinking of myself as a non smoker. I'm thinking of myself as a smoker who is trying to stay quit for a certain length of time, not forever! That's not going to work! I thought I was doing it ODAAT. I learned today that I'm not doing that. I've been thinking about this all day. Looking for an answer and I haven't found one. Now I'm just going to hope that tomorrow is better.

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 1

@JH63, that's good that you read your pre-response SOS.  If that doesn't do the trick, you can also post a new thread in the SOS area and people will come to your rescue.  I know that you have a lot going on now, Jeff, but when you get some free time, you might want to read up on nicotine addiction.  Doing that should help you with your mindset.

Congratulations on four weeks and one day!  😊

• Like 4

Mona is right Jeff.....

You need to come and read ...and watch the video,s we have here ....learn all you can ....

It will help you along ....understand this horrible addiction ...

It is a powerful drug ....

This is why we quit one minute at a time if we have too...

The good news is ...you are no more addicted more than any one of us here ...you will break free if you want it bad enough ...

Let's go and celebrate your great month of Freedom ...

• Like 3

Think of the benefits you are seeing as a nonsmoker Jeff. How much of your hard earned money have you not spent on smokes this past month? You don't smell like a stale smoke when you're around loved ones. Do you not enjoy being free from having to plan your whole day around smoking> That's freedom Jeff. Why would you not want that for yourself permanently Jeff? What would going back to smoking look like long term Jeff? What benefits would that bring to you. I can't think of ANY. Do as suggested, grab hold of anything you can to do with nicotine addiction and read/watch it. Educvation about this horrible addiction is your key to freedom!

Congrats on One Month Jeff. Well done!

• Like 4

Hey Jeff,

You're doing great but I think it's time to start commiting to no smoking for good. You need to adjust your goals accordingly. This is not a sprint but more of a never ending marathon. So, get ready to be in this for the long haul. Stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to Nope.

• Like 3

Hey Jeff, glad you made it past that hard day! Sounds like a nonsmokers move to me 😊 I had lots of those days especially when I made it to certain milestones. It's ok to have those thoughts just maybe try to turn them into positive thoughts instead. 

I really think your confidence will grow as your quit grows, I've seen it time and time again 😊

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JH63 said:

HI!

I am now four weeks and one day quit!

I am writing this because it was the worst day I've had on this quit! By lunch time I knew I was in real trouble. Nervous, shaky, couldn't quit thinking about smoking. 

Went back and read my pre-response to my SOS several times.

Here's what I think happened. That four weeks quit was a goal for me. I reached it, and it was like I didn't know what to do after I reached it. I know that I've got to get my mind back into this quit. I'm still not thinking of myself as a non smoker. I'm thinking of myself as a smoker who is trying to stay quit for a certain length of time, not forever! That's not going to work! I thought I was doing it ODAAT. I learned today that I'm not doing that. I've been thinking about this all day. Looking for an answer and I haven't found one. Now I'm just going to hope that tomorrow is better.

Take Care!

Jeff

Now I'm just going to hope that tomorrow is better.

Tomorrow will be different, sometimes better sometimes not.

Tomorrow will bring new challenges and new triumphs.

Stay with NOPE, etch it into your soul.

"couldn't quit thinking about smoking”

Just Think Of Something Else

"That four weeks quit was a goal for me. I reached it, and it was like I didn't know what to do after I reached it. “

Boy do I deserve a cigarette for that

"I'm still not thinking of myself as a non smoker."

What should I call myself?

" I'm thinking of myself as a smoker who is trying to stay quit for a certain length of time, not forever! “

For former smokers not celebrating a major milestone today

I’m trying to quit smoking

One day at a time

• Like 1

I didn't want to just go away and tell everyone here that I lost my quit! I gave up a 30 day quit this past Wednesday the 17th. No excuses at all!

I want to Thank everyone here for their help!

God's Speed!

Jeff 

• Sad 4

12 minutes ago, JH63 said:

I didn't want to just go away and tell everyone here that I lost my quit! I gave up a 30 day quit this past Wednesday the 17th. No excuses at all!

God's Speed!

Jeff 

I

I hope you stick around and quit again sooner than later Jeff, it really is a life of death decision. We'll be here when you're ready........

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, JH63 said:

God's Speed!

Jeff 

Sorry to hear that Jeff.  Take care.

• Like 3

That's unfortunate Jeff that you decided to let your addiction take control once again because freedom to live life on your terms is a so much better way of life. Hope you decide to give quitting another try soon. You know yourself there's no bright future for a smoker.

Didn't see you post an SOS. You did post up a pretty long and detailed "Pre Respond to Your Own SOS" back there on June 7th. Did you at least read that one before starting up again? The SOS posts are pretty important Jeff. That's why it's the very first page shown at the top of the main page on the board. Designed as an emergency slap in the face, if you will, to allow you time to think about any decision to start up again. It gives you some time to fight your junkie thinking using logic instead. Food for thought for your next quit perhaps?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JH63 said:

God's Speed!

Jeff 

Sad to read this Jeff....

Are you a Happy Smoker ?????

If you don't quit ,you will die a smoker ,probably due to a Smokers Illness ...

When you decide Smoking is not for you ...we will be here ...your seat will always be here ...

• Like 2

Hi Jeff, we haven't met, but I have followed your thread whilst lurking...I threw away a 2 week quit in March and rudely left without saying a word, unlike you.

Hopefully you will still be lurking and try to quit again. During the 2 months or so of smoking, a day didnt go by without me giving a thought to quitting again.

And everytime I smoked, I asked myself....am I enjoying this?....NO

What  made me try again?  Knowing that there is absolutely no good reason to smoke, and to let those here, at work and socially know,  that the advise and 

encouragement given to me was not in vain.

Hope to see you again 😊

• Like 7

Good for you @Irene!  You're right, there is no good reason to smoke.  Unfortunately, your junky mind will likely try to convince you otherwise.  Don't listen to it and just keep moving forward!  You will reach a point where not smoking is your new normal and you will even wonder why you ever smoked in the first place.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1