New to this Forum!

JH63

11 hours ago, JH63 said:

I will be very grateful when I feel confident in this quit. So far I've been a little shaky and fragile in my quit. I Thank You for reminding me that it can or will happen with Nicotine the same as it did with alcohol. I'll be praying for the time.

I went down to the crossroads...

In fact, we all went to the crossroads when we quit smoking.  Made a big decision.  Saw a promising path before us but had to put the mileage of the other path in the rear view.

New paths always seem unnatural and make us question ourselves a bit.  In time, you build confidence with the knowledge that you are going the right way.  Then you just hammer down and enjoy the ride.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, JH63 said:

Thanks Everyone! Yes, yesterday was a very sad day. But it will be fine with a little time. My wife and youngest daughter made the decision about the cat being put down. I totally agreed with the decision they made. We maybe could have kept her a little longer, but there was no reason to let her suffer when the vet says there's no fix.

On to day ten. I was told to come on here and explain how I'm feeling as my quit goes along. Day nine was the worst day I've had in this quit by far! I Had the worst craving and urges today, well yesterday now. I held up, but it was really hard not to not give in. I continually used many different distractions. This started early in the day and only let up a couple of hours ago. Then I logged on here, as I do every night before I go to bed, and read all your comments to me. People that really helps! I'll be able to move on from here. I have to get my mind back in the game. My quit has to come before everything else. I'm completely drained of energy and at times I feel sick. A little nausea combined with nervousness, both at the same time.

I'm not going to panic. I know what's happening, and I need to hang on for another day, then reassess things. I'm not done,  just slowly tiring.

@Sazerac I will watch the videos you recommended in the morning.

@Boo I will be very grateful when I feel confident in this quit. So far I've been a little shaky and fragile in my quit. I Thank You for reminding me that it can or will happen with Nicotine the same as it did with alcohol. I'll be praying for the time.

Take Care! 

Glad you are availing yourself of the resources, Jeff.  That makes me feel good and should boost your confidence as it  shows your commitment to your quit. 

You will succeed like this.

The confidence will come with time as you face each trigger, conquer each crave.  Be KIND to yourself, this is your new life.  No need to push the river.

Below, is two pages of personal experiences concerning,

When Did You Have Confidence In Your Quit

• Like 4

Hi Jeff, hoping today was better than your yesyerday. Another couple of things I did, yes I tried MANY different things, was when a bad craving or day would come I'd keep telling myself"this too shall pass" and "all good(?) things must come to an end". Then I would think of all the people I knew who quit and tell myself "if so and so can quit so can I".

I also stayed glued to the forum. I really found for me that supporting, celebrating milestones, ranting sometimes and socializing worked really well at keeping my mind off my misery. 😊

• Like 4

I have made it to the two week mark in my quit!

I'm happy about that! That's about eight packs of cigarettes I didn't smoke!

Now it's on to week three!

Thanks for you help!

• Like 6

Thanks @Mac#23,

Those minions always make me laugh. I've seen all their movies!

I had a pretty good day today. I'm hopeful I can get my mind back into this quit. I lose my concentration from time to time, but it should get better before long!

Take Care!

Edited by JH63
  • Like 5

Congratulations on two weeks jeff, fantastic! 😊 If you want a more accurate accounting of all the time, money saved and cigarettes not smoked since you've quit you can make one of our tickers for your signature. I loved coming on everyday and seeing my numbers, super inspirational AND it showed me what I had to lose it I caved to a crave. 😊

• Like 5

Thanks for all the support!

@Doreensfree Thanks for the post you put on the other thread about No Mans Land. That was very helpful, in that I now know that other's have been there before me.

I was told when I first joined this forum that I should voice my concerns as I go through this process. In hopes that I will get some helpful input from others who have already been where I'm at. That is what I have been doing. And I have gotten some great ideas from many different people here.

Right now I've got one thing on my mind. Staying quit! I will admit that the cravings are becoming milder and further apart as the days pass. I have been here at this point before and even further along than I am now in other quits before. Then lost them over nothing! I wasn't craving a cigarette, nor was I in a stressful situation. There was absolutely no reason for me to light back up. But I did! That makes me a fool!

I have been working with a psychologist at the VA on this issue for about six months now. It's a mental issue? It's a commitment issue? I can't figure it out. I don't think that nice young man, with the Doctors Degree in Psychology, who has never smoked, can figure it out either. He has ask me on several different occasions if I have lost my will to live? Maybe subconsciously I have.I simply don't know! I've thought about it and I don't think I have.

I will admit that I have depression which I have doctored for since my teenage years. I don't have many problems with depression anymore. Age has seemed to take the edge off that.  I don't take any medications for depression. I have been prescribed many different medications for depression over the years. Non of them have worked out for one reason or the other.

I am keeping a specific log for this psychologist on this quit, at the end of each day I am answering questions that he wants to know. I think he will only want to read that if I lose this quit.  Maybe it will help him to help me. I don't know.

All I really know, right this moment, is that I am quit and I plan to stay that way! If I can stay quit it makes all the above irrelevant!

Take Care!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JH63 said:

All I really know, right this moment, is that I am quit and I plan to stay that way!

That's pretty much everything in a nutshell.  The only other thing I would keep in mind is that the more the weeks start to add up, the more you need to appreciate all that you've accomplished. You certainly wouldn't want to throw that away and start at day one all over again, right?

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, JH63 said:

I have been here at this point before and even further along than I am now in other quits before. Then lost them over nothing! I wasn't craving a cigarette, nor was I in a stressful situation. There was absolutely no reason for me to light back up. But I did! That makes me a fool!

It doesn't make you a fool Jeff, it makes you an addict! We all are. I still enjoy the smell of a freshly lit cigarette but know that that too is the addiction talking. Ask any never smoked and they'll say they can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke.

Now that you have found us we can help you when you feel yourself caving. Just post an SOS and we'll come running to help you off the ledge. It worked for me several times so I know it works if you truly want to save it 😊

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JH63 said:

All I really know, right this moment, is that I am quit and I plan to stay that way! If I can stay quit it makes all the above irrelevant!

Hey Jeff,

I am so glad that you are starting to embrace to whole I am not a smoker thing. This and a positive attitude will get you far into a great quit. As far as everything being irrelevant when stay quit I do not agree. Everything you or any of do on this forum is to not only help current people quit smoking but also for anyone trying to decide on quitting. Just as you are learning from everyone here someone else make take solace in all you have went threw and what you have learned to keep you quit. This support system and forum is just  a helpful tool to help whom ever wants to heed the advice and take on this noble journey to a healthy quit.  So, one way or the other we are all doing our part to help someone else. Think about all the new people who will read about your triumphs and how that will help them quit. Let that soak in and help you with your own quit.

Edited by Mac#23
  • Like 5

I have been here at this point before and even further along than I am now in other quits before. Then lost them over nothing! I wasn't craving a cigarette, nor was I in a stressful situation. There was absolutely no reason for me to light back up. But I did! That makes me a fool!

You smoked .... this is what addicts do....

This is why you need a toolbox ,to make sure , this time you stay quit ....you have a Train full of support this time ...I believe this is what kept my quit going ....when someone said to me ....

Don't smoke even if your arse is on fire !!!!!

I knew that no matter what ...smoking was not a option ....I kept repeating this ...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JH63 said:

You don't smoke !  Face this reality.  You don't smoke anymore.  

• Like 5

I had to fake it till I made it for some time Jeff. Then one day; not even a special day for any reason, it just occurred to me that I was pretty sure I never would smoke again. I don't know what it was that triggered that thought. Maybe a number of things .... knowledge about the truth of what nicotine addiction was because of all I had read on this site, realizing my cravings were finally very easy to dismiss and an understanding of what I'd gone through to get to this point. Never wanted to go down that dark, lonely road again.

Hopefully you too can reach that special plateau this time as well Jeff. This place helped me carry on when it would have been easy to give up caring about my quit. Maybe it can do that for you too :)  

• Like 5

Jeff, you are doing great.  Two weeks is awesome.  Quitting and going back to smoking is such a awful cycle.  Just concentrate on this being your last quit.  You can do it.  

• Like 4

@reciprocity  I hope this happens to me at some point in the future. I think it is possible, because it happened to me with alcoholism. I joined AA, got a sponsor, started working the 12 step program. Two meetings a week for a couple of years. Then out of the blue something just clicked! I knew I wasn't going to drink anymore. I've been sober for several years! I don't even think about it! I go back to a meeting now and then because I made some great friends there, and I feel like I should be helping others that want to quit. Just my being there and giving positive support helps me and them!

Thanks,

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Mee Thanks for the encouragement!  I am trying to get out of that cycle, It's no fun! I've quit four times this years alone. There is a hump in this quit process that I have never gotten over . It's something mental, something I have to learn. I quit for 17 weeks a few years ago and still I didn't learn how to deal with nicotine addiction correctly. 

I should be more committed than I am. I should have more resolve than I do. I am my own worst enemy. I have always been told that I think too much. I continuously take every little thing apart. I try to predict the future and it never comes out the way I had it figured. At age 63 I should know better, I should also be stronger. My way of thinking causes a lot of anxiety!

Well the good news. I'm happy about being 15 days quit. I'm also happy that I have the strength to fight on another day. Even at my age, after at least 47 years of smoking, I can still do a decent days work. I've never been told I have COPD, nor do I have lung  cancer that I know of. I am thankful for that!

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 4

A belated congratulations on two weeks of freedom Jeff.

You have two weeks under your belt, that is to be commended.  At two weeks in, I had a lot of questions and was desperately looking for answers.  At two weeks in, I still thought about smoking more than I wanted to.  At two weeks in, there was still lingering doubt about whether I was actually done with smoking for good.

I just kept adding days without a smoke and eventually everything started to fall into place.  The same will happen for you...I guarantee it.

Give yourself some credit.  You are doing one of the most important things you can do for yourself and doing it successfully.  Take a second and pat yourself on the back.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, JH63 said:

@Mee Thanks for the encouragement!  I am trying to get out of that cycle, It's no fun! I've quit four times this years alone. There is a hump in this quit process that I have never gotten over . It's something mental, something I have to learn. I quit for 17 weeks a few years ago and still I didn't learn how to deal with nicotine addiction correctly. 

I should be more committed than I am. I should have more resolve than I do. I am my own worst enemy. I have always been told that I think too much. I continuously take every little thing apart. I try to predict the future and it never comes out the way I had it figured. At age 63 I should know better, I should also be stronger. My way of thinking causes a lot of anxiety!

Well the good news. I'm happy about being 15 days quit. I'm also happy that I have the strength to fight on another day. Even at my age, after at least 47 years of smoking, I can still do a decent days work. I've never been told I have COPD, nor do I have lung  cancer that I know of. I am thankful for that!

Take Care!

Jeff

I trust you are learning more about your addiction to nicotine here Jeff. That might just be the key to a life long quit for you, which is the goal we all seek. Do what you can to avoid those smoking diseases you mentioned by cutting the ties to smoking now .... for good! We can't erase our  smoking years but we CAN shape our future by standing up against our addiction no matter how long that might take!

• Like 5

Jeff....first ..your doing great ....

You quit drinking for good ,thanks to a group of people who have been there and shown you the way ...

Congratulations....

The Quit Train is no different ....we are a group of people who can hopefully can show you the way ....

You need the same commitment....!!!!!

I'm sure your Serenity Prayer will work here too....

Like your meetings.....you need to stay seated in the train and take part ....

You can do this ....I was a 52 year smoker ....if I can ....I know you can ....

• Like 5

On 6/1/2020 at 11:46 PM, JH63 said:

Well the good news. I'm happy about being 15 days quit. I'm also happy that I have the strength to fight on another day.

Let us accentuate the positive.  Happiness generates more happiness and happiness also generates strength of purpose.

You quit smoking.  REJOICE !  Find your bliss and your power from each crave scorned, each trigger conquered.

You can also use the power from your mind, the knowledge of nicotine addiction and the relief on your loved ones faces now that you've quit.

There are many sources of power and strength, not all of them are innate.  Find them and use to strengthen yourself.

• Like 4

HI People!

I'm still here and I'm doing well! I've been reading the posts by new people coming to the site for help in Quitting Smoking. I wish them all success!

Day 17 is over. I did have some intense craving today, but I worked through them. I know everyday will be a little different.

@Doreensfree AA was a great help in quitting drinking. I've tried to use the same process for quitting smoking. I've even went to some Nicanom meetings in another city. We don't have any here in my area. I had no success, but my sponsor has been helpful. I think that, in my situation, smoking is much harder to give up than drinking was. Two reasons: one, I used cigarettes as a crotch while quitting drinking. Two, I only drank in the late evening,  but I smoked all day long. I came here because this site is specific to quitting smoking.

Wishing You a Great Day! Jeff

• Like 4