New to this Forum!

JH63

6 minutes ago, JH63 said:

It's the middle of day three! I'm alright. Been reading here and watching videos. Some of the Joel Spitzer videos I have already watched in the past, but it won't hurt anything to watch them again. I don't pick up on everything the first time I read or listen to it anyway. I'm headed out for a brisk walk. I will post again at the end of the day.  Thanks for the support!

I have been trying to figure out a few things about the use of this site. Please help me if you can!

How do I respond to a specific post made by one person. So far I have been submitting a reply at the end of this tread to everyone.

Example; I get a message from jillar. How do I respond to jillar's message? I know that my relpy will be seen by others on the tread, but I'm not sure jillar knows I'm responding to jillar.

This is the Introductions and About Us thread. Now that I have introduced myself, should I be posting in another thread?

Thanks, Jeff

on the bottom left of each post is a quote button, you hit it and it will show up in your reply.  That way you can respond individually to others.

You can post anywhere you like, Jeff and about anything you want. 

Keep smoking in smoking discussions and social in social that is all

but, if you don't the mods can always move stuff around for you.  We are really easygoing.

Personally, I really like it when a quitter keeps adding to their original post with that individuals concerns. 

It helps with referencing what issues they faced and what resources they were shown

but, it really doesn't matter. 

As long as you are posting and growing yourself a sturdy successful quit,

feel free to post everywhere. 

We have a rocking game section that really helps with distraction from nicotine or real life right now.

Glad you are re-visiting Joel's work.  Every time I post a link of his, I also revisit the resource.  It only serves to imprint the knowledge.

I will never know enough or retain enough knowledge.

So happy you are here, the benefits of quitting will be shining on you.

• Like 5

You mentioned watching Joel's videos on a previous quit.  Here is an interesting video

I Tried Your Resources Once Why Should I Bother Trying Again

On 5/19/2020 at 12:27 AM, JH63 said:

I know that I lack the commitment to stay quit. That lack of commitment causes me to become complacent over time.

A 99.9% Commitment To Quit Will Fail

20 hours ago, JH63 said:

thanks for reminding me that this is a marathon and not a sprint. Sometimes in forget that. I think forgetting that leads to complacency which leads to losing a quit.

Complacency

• Like 3

Thanks for the info about how the site works. I will try addressing just one poster. I have known all along that my reply would remain in the same tread for everyone to read,  just didn't understand how to make sure someone knew I was commenting on what they said.

Day three is gone. It was about the same as day two. I had the worst cravings in the evening again. I was was quit for 20 days, lost it for 13 days, and now I am quit again for three days. Because of that I feel like I'm almost back where I was. That's scary and worries me somewhat. I'm glad that the first three days haven't been that bad. But on the other hand, I'm just as shaky and fragile as I have been on my failed quits. I've got to really pay attention and not let my guard down.

I have quit four different times this year alone. Lost the first three and many others before that because I became complacent after awhile. I get tired of always thinking about not smoking and I end up letting my guard down. I know that I have to be stronger in my resolve this time and keep reminding myself what's at stake if I lit up again. I've got a list of reasons why I want to stay quit that I carry in my wallet all the time. I've just got to keep that agreement with myself and read that list anytime I think about lighting up again. I'm just exhausted from the fight.

It's on to day 4! A good night's sleep should carry me through!

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 5

The body is going through massive changes just now Jeff....

It's been used to having all those chemical's put into it for years ...so many times a day ...

It has to adjust ...remember all what your feeling is Temporary....you will never have to do this again ..

Unless you smoke ...

Before you know it ....this will be all behind you ....

You have to fight the Demon 😈.....

• Like 5

Welcome to Day Four, @Jeff !

Smokey thoughts, thoughts concerning a quit, thinking smoking/not smoking ALL of this will consume your brain for a while.

The sooner you are able to switch up your thoughts, the better you will feel.

I started to replace smokey thoughts by looking at something of beauty which gave me a bump of endorphins.

That light on that leaf.  Your Beloved's face.  A favorite photograph.  A piece of art.  Listening to a favorite song, recalling a favored memory.  

Choosing moments of beauty in a small meditation still help me through life's challenges.

You have the power to change your thoughts. 

Sure, this will take some time but, it is a valuable coping mechanism  just like slow and thoughtful breathing.

Leave your failed quits behind.  You are onto a brand new day and can build this quit in a way that will keep it strong.

Keep educating yourself about nicotine addiction, this is your foundation.

and here is a vid from Joel about

Every Quit Is Different

• Like 5

Congratulations on getting through day 3 Jeff. The nicotine is pretty much out of your system so it's screaming for its nicotine fix. That's why we call this week hell week. It can be brutal but you will never have to go through it again as long as you stay quit.

Read your list, post positive notes to yourself on the bathroom mirror, use your air cigarette and if you need support you know where to come. We all know what you're going through  😊

• Like 5

HI!

Again the AM of day four has been alright. I had to go out this morning for about 4 hrs. No problems except some brain fog when I first started driving. I'm happy right now! @Sazerac that's a great video. I think I understand what it means. I will read and watch some more suggested links you have given me this evening. I'll post again at the end of the day. Hopefully Positive!

• Like 5

Welcome aboard, @JH63! One day at a time is my mantra (along with lots of deep breathing and drinking water!)...and participating here in the forum. I was also a 40+ year smoker with several quit attempts behind me over the years and I am so thankful for online support! Hang in there, it is all worth it.... 😷

• Like 7

HI Everyone!

I just finished day four. It was a good day! A few cravings, but not too bad.

I had a bad day six on my last quit, but that doesn't mean it will be the same this time. I'm sticking to my quit plan so far. I've even added a few things.

I just have to get up in the morning and stay focused until my head clears. I don't wake up all the way at once in the mornings, and I always had that first Cig. right out of bed. I would get up, put my slippers on, and go straight to our partially closed in porch for that first nicotine fix of the day. I would do that even in really cold, snowy weather. Now that's an addict!

I'm off to day five!

Take Care!

• Like 5

Well done your doing great ....

Having a plan in place ..ready for that danger time is a great idea ...your toolbox ....

I changed my morning routine totally in my early quit ....to avoid that first cut of the day routine ...

Kept myself busy ....showering ect.....drank juice instead of coffee....

Soon the new routine will become the normal ...

• Like 6

I  haven't changed my routine to much. I am hitting all the triggers and cravings head on. I am conquering them as I go along. This is to make sure I am in a good healthy place when I head back to work. I work in a busy Irish Pub so I want to be ready for any triggers or cravings I am going to be experiencing  there. I will take this one day at a time like you and NOPE

• Like 5

HI! ALL!

@Doreensfree Changing my routine is something I've never given any thought. I am a very regimented person. I think it came from all those years I was in the military when I was young. In fact, it has annoyed my wife, children, and other people over the years. I know because they have told me so. I also know that I would always smoke at a certain time or trigger point. After meals, after completing a task, etc.. Thanks for suggesting this! I will think about how I can change my routine around especially during those times of the day that I struggle the most. I've been reading a thread today about how others, that have quit, dealt with their urges and cravings. There are a ton of ways people have done it. Making a list of the ones I think could help me. If I tried all these different distractions, I wouldn't have any time to smoke.

Thanks Again!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We all created rituals around nicotine.  Many ones exactly the same as eachother.  

Smoking for a 'break', smoking as a reward for a task completed, the first smoke in the morning, the last at night.

Smoking was always with us and Everything we ever did for more than 20 minutes included a cigarette or the thought of one.

So, change is inevitable with quitting smoking.

I found that taking deep breaths when having a break was far more beneficial than smoking every was and still do.

Sitting and having a think was a hundred times better with oxygen instead of nicotine.

Many patterns will be adjusted.  It is fun to stir things up, it opens your brain to different ways of thinking, different ways of doing.

You may  be interested in this thread 

Riffing on H.A.L.T.

• Like 6

Here are some more resources for you concerning your post

How Quitting Smoking Is Like Learning To Ride A Bicycle

Smoking Triggers

Resources Relating To Facing or Avoiding Triggers

Everything You Did As A Smoker You Can Do As An Ex-Smoker

and to tie in with what I said about taking breaks,

Smoking Breaks

• Like 5

On 5/20/2020 at 8:36 AM, Mac#23 said:

It's one thing to just hear the advice that is given to you but it's another to also act on our implement it into our lifestyle.  

HI!

I was reading back over the posts in this thread and this statement caught my eye. You are absolutely right about this! As I said, I read all the advice that everyone here gives me and I appreciate that everyone took the time to give me that advice. But to be honest, I have not been able to commit to following all of the advice I've been given. I'm not even sure that I have fully committed to Never Take Another Puff or to NOPE. I just take it one day at a time because that is all I can do right now. I will work on my commitment issues, but I'm not there yet. I know that anything less than a 100% commitment from me will cause me trouble with this quit at some point.

Thanks for making me think about this! It's the most important part of any quit!

Edited by JH63
  • Like 5

Well I got through day five. It went relatively smooth considering. I had some urges and cravings, but they were manageable. I spent about two hours reading posts and watching videos. I plan to do more of that everyday. I think it is important right now.

I know that there will come a time, maybe tomorrow, next week, or even next month when my quit will be challenged and I will need to be armed with all the knowledge I can take in. I also know that I've been trying to stay positive. But I can already feel some depression creeping into my mind. In order to stay quit I have to concentrate on it almost all the time I'm awake. I think the depression comes along when I get mentally tired of concentrating on staying quit. I wish I were stronger, mentally. I was very close to my grandfather. I remember the day he quit smoking. Cigarettes had went up in price another few cents per pack. He said he wouldn't pay that much and never smoked again for the rest of his life. I wish I had that kind of resolve. He was a very nice man, that enjoyed life. But when he made up his mind that was it. Enough about all that!

I'm happy that I made it through another day and I plan to work hard to get though day six.

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 7

5 hours ago, JH63 said:

I spent about two hours reading posts and watching videos. I plan to do more of that everyday. I think it is important right now.

Education is essential, J, and I am so glad you understand this.  You are building a strong and sturdy quit for yourself by your study.

Congratulations on another day without cigarettes !

Here are a few vids and resources to help with your concerns, take your time with these and allow your brain to absorb the information.

Resources regarding the advantage of quitting with a positive attitude

I gave up smoking  

Understanding the emotional loss experienced when quitting smoking

I’ll have to use willpower for the rest of my life not to smoke.

Resources related to the importance of being smarter than nicotine as opposed to having to be stronger

I’m just too weak to quit smoking!

• Like 4

Yay, you're close to the end of the dreaded first week!   Great job, Jeff, and it doesn't matter how you get it done as long as you stick with it, but strengthening your resolve and staying positive will make the days go by a little faster.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JH63 said:

I wish I had that kind of resolve. He was a very nice man, that enjoyed life

J863 you do have that resolve.  You just have to keep your mind on the prize (quitting smoking).  You are concentrating on that cigarette you haven't had.  Five days is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud.  That addiction is going to work on your self esteem trying to break you.  I am sure you have more of your grandfather in you than you think.  You can do this.  Without realizing it,  one day you will wake up and realize you no longer need a cigarette. Just keep that quit going.  

• Like 6