hi, hello.

i'm a 37 year old female who has been smoking since i was 18 years old. i tried to quit one time before and the longest i lasted was around 34 hours. because i have crippling anxiety, smoking has always helped me. with every thing going on in the world right now, i figured my time has come to try and put the cigarettes down. my biggest hurdle right now is the withdrawal symptoms that comes from putting the cigarettes down for good. i have major health anxiety and have for the past several years. i feel like quitting would trigger me to go into a full fledged panic attack or worse. felt like i should go ahead and join a forum where some may understand where i'm coming from as i try to stand up to this journey.

this was an introduction part of the forum, so wanted to say hello. i do hope everyone is happy, healthy and safe during these crazy times.

• Like 6

Welcome pixiedust, congratulations on taking control of your life by quitting. We have a lot of people here who have anxiety and have successfully quit so you'll have lots of support getting past that part of the quit. You may find at first that your anxiety gets a little worse before getting so much better so please talk to your doctor and let him know you are quitting. Sometimes you may need a medication adjustment. 

Stick close, check out all our various forums. Lots to do here to keep your mind busy and off smoking 😊

• Like 5

Welcome Pixiedust,

This is a great place to be while you go through the whole quit process. The are a ton of videos to watch and articles to read to help you. There a lot of people in the early and later stages of their quit. They are here to support you as you release yourself from the grasp of the nicotine monster. The others are right as far as consulting with your Doctor and let him know your plans to quit. The only thing you need to get started is the faith and determination to see this through until the end.

• Like 5

Welcome pixiedust.  Remember, your commitment needs to be rock solid.  You are already mentioning your concern about withdrawal symptoms and anxiety.  Don't let those become an excuse to ditch your quit.  Many here have had similar or worse preconditions but have managed to successfully quit despite them.  Keep telling yourself you WILL do this and there's nothing that will stop you.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Pixie.

The withdrawal symptoms are temporary and fleeting.  Temporary withdrawal symptoms are a small price to pay for a lifetime of freedom.

Take it one day at a time and remember that the one and only incontrovertible rule of a successful quit is this: DON'T SMOKE!  It truly is that simple...just don't put anything in your mouth and set it on fire and you're good to go.

Congratulations, you've made a great decision for yourself.

• Like 6