8 months smoke-free , need support, feel lonely and down

Amer

Hi All,

I am 40 yrs old ,  started to smoke at age of 16 not a heavy smoker though 7-8 sticks a day and  cold turkey quit on sept 2019 , hardly smoked a 2 -3  sticks before quit for 4-5 months, did not know about withdrawals, just left the habit thinking i can just give it away just like that, after 15 days time i started feeling sick and  2 months went in being sick from GERD/ Acid reflux , left chest shoulder and neck pains, irritability, low self esteem, insomnia, restlessness, muscle spasms , fog, confusion etc, anxiety and depression .. snapping of left shoulder blade which is making cracking, grinding and muscles staying sore later after 2 months , been to several doctors, done ECG, EKG and blood tests done every thing came up fine but the thought of something wrong happening inside my chest whenever tingling pain in chest was killing me every day... So I kept on googling for symptoms and figured out and started to learn about the nicotine withdrawals by that time i came to know all of this I was morally down down and went crazy thinking, Friends and Doctors started saying its all in my head or I am creating stories , no one believed to what is happening to me, Then step by step as months passed by I followed some websites and gave myself time and patience hoping everything will become alright, I did not take up to strong medicines only counter medicines so that nothing affects my body with another medicinal withdrawals ..that is how my 8 months passed till now gases or do not  know what want hurts my chest, I been continuously burping and farting. tingling pain in my left chest area makes me confused and depressed daily, i do have 3 little kids ( 2, 4 and 8 yrs old ), feel bad to not be part of them in their activities, usually pretend to be with them i keep feeling guilty of not being a part , i  quit thinking i will be a role model for my children . I want to take care of them and i am almost into tears every day  inside with pain and grief in  me not knowing who to express, Neither want to go back to smoking nor I have that urge of smoking, Yes sometimes I feel did i make wrong decision of quitting I wouldnt have such pains in me but going back I feel i do not want to cause myself harm any more.  Honestly i do not understand what is happening to me and how long this strange feelings continue, left chest area feels heavy, some times cold , sometimes tingling pain, some thing crawling behind my upper back in spine area, this feeling increases more when I sit, and when I stand burps continue and gases keep passing and sudden tingling pain in chest, snapping of left shoulder blade which is making cracking, grinding drives me crazy and affects my mood.  it becomes scary daily, I have been the bold guy all the time, never bothered about any circumstances. but this has become my daily thought and concern.  I really want to come out this thought circle.

I really really feel lonely and seek support to understand what is really happening and has this happened to any of ex-smokers in group.

Edited by Amer
  • Like 1

Hello Amer and congratulations on your quit!  Whatever you are currently experiencing, smoking will not help.

Please, seed professional attention for any and all health concerns.  Googling is all well and good but, can also cause  distress, there is a lot of misinformation out there.

None of us here are health professionals.  Some may have experienced your symptoms and can give you some comfort but, you may need expert advise.

Smoking often hid underlying health issues both physical and mental which may need to be addressed now.

Acknowledging your accomplishment of quitting smoking and using your new freedom will bring you self-respect and self-esteem.

You are still young in your quit, give yourself a chance.

• Like 5

Hello Sazerac,  what a lovely forum made by team and appreciate your come back. I would like to Thank you for your reply and do understand your advise

I been seeking all kind of medical advise from health professionals, seems like medical experts seem to deny on what is happening with me and dismissing the discussion by saying its all in your head. I convince myself may be its not life threatening and will settle by time,  as I am regularly able to do the walk  for 30 min with out any issues, for Burping / Farting and Chest tightness, tingling pain issue they prescribed my Acidity Meds, not really helping but I will continue the course and control diet.

Just wanted seek ex-smokers experiences if this is really happening with someone or just I am over assuming on whatever is happening and getting over worried about it. I want to feel i am not alone in this pain and discuss to seek encouragement and help in continuing the quit

Edited by Amer
add few more lines

The best thing you can do is to try and quell any anxiety.  Deep breathing though any episodes may really help you.

I did experience The Great Smoke Free Flatulence.  I think a lot of quitters do.  This calmed down after a few months.

As people sign in today, there may be folks who have experienced your symptoms so hold on while the world wakes up or gets off work.

We all will encourage you to keep building a strong and sturdy quit.  Your health issues won't be helped by nicotine addiction or by smoking.  That is for sure.

So , take heart.  You are a free person, you showed yourself to be smarter than your addiction.

Rewards !  Celebrations !  Try and dance on the good foot....You Quit Smoking !!!

• Like 5

Welcome Amer and congratulations on eight months quit. The gas is totally normal. I used it to pay back my hubby lol. As far as your chest pain, you should really ask your Dr for a ct scan. This will give them a much better view of your chest than just an xray will and hopefully give you answers. Hopefully it's nothing and you'll get peace of mind knowing you're ok. 

• Like 4

Hi Jillar,

Thank you so much for reply, That really gives me relief , lucky your sense of humor calms me down, just wondering if gas can cause pain in chest,  has anybody faced this kind of tingling pain left chest area . It is all the time ok while brisk walking, it gives pain only while i am sitting, i did do the treadmill test, Troponin test, x ray of chest and my cardiologist has confirmed  heart is ok, but sudden pain in chest or center scares the hell out of me daily and moods are always down as if I have lost lots in life, im always irritable towards kids and temper keeps loosing not sure its me or those withdrawals.

• Like 1

It could just be these stay at home orders Amer. Lots of people are irritable and antsy to get back into the real world.

I'm glad you had those tests run and your heart looks good. I still think a ct scan would be your best bet in getting a really good image of anything going on in your chest. I do know that when you pull a chest muscle it can take a long time to heal. So it could just be something like that but at least you'll get some answers or  peace of mind.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, Amer.  Congratulations on 8 months smoke free.

A lot of what you are experiencing does sound normal.  The irritability, depression, gas, and anxiety is normal, even at eight months.  

I can understand the concern regarding the tingling in your chest.  It is good that you saw a cardiologist and the tests came back fine.  As Jill just stated, maybe you should ask your doctor about a CT scan.  I'm not that familiar with them but I can understand your concern.

Congrats again on 8 months smoke free.  You would be far worse off had you not quit..

• Like 3

Hi Amer ....

Congratulations on a great quit ....

Sorry I cannot help with your symptoms.....

Just wanted to say ..Smoking would only make things worse ,and have you worry more ..

If your not satisfied with the doctor's report ,can you request a second opinion ...

Bad wind can give bad pains ...so can heart burn ...

• Like 3

Thanks Jill, Would consider a CT scan in times if condition does not improve or getting worse

Hi Johnny, Even at 8 Months i just want to see light in tunnel, when do you think things back to normal,  some say this tingling pain must be your lungs recovering

Hi Doreen, I am ok with those reports but just the pains keep me worried and engaged in thoughts of something bad is happening

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amer said:

Hi Johnny, Even at 8 Months i just want to see light in tunnel, when do you think things back to normal,  some say this tingling pain must be your lungs recovering

One frustrating thing is that everyone's quit is different.   Some people adjust very quickly, both physically and mentally, to life as a non-smoker but most people take a while, especially if they smoked for a long time. 

After my first couple of months, I was feeling a lot better but around my 7th or 8th month, I was hit with prolonged periods of anxiety, depression, and renewed thoughts of smoking.  It was very frustrating for me as I felt I was doing so well but I fought through it, did NOT smoke, and eventually things got better. 

Everyone's quit it different so there isn't a magical date in your quit where everyone feels better.  The best thing you can do is just fight through this.  I know that probably isn't the answer you wanted to hear.  But it does get better with time

Regarding your chest issues, I agree with Doreen.

40 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

If your not satisfied with the doctor's report ,can you request a second opinion ...

• Like 4

Amer, have you considered food intolerances? I work in a grocery store that stocks a lot of foods for people who are intolerant to a number of foods. We have many gluten-free and dairy-free foods. Some of what you describe is similar to what a few of them have shared. Perhaps ask your medical care provider about the wisdom of doing an elimination diet to see of there is a food or category of foods that are causing your gastrointestinal upset. 

You mentioned taking over-the-counter meds--they can cause problems of their own if taken over long periods of time.

When people are depressed, their posture and breathing change (voice of experience). If it's comfortable for you, holding a proper posture and some gentle, deep breathing may help.

Good luck. I'm sure there is a solution for you. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum Amer, and congratulations on quitting smoking! Sorry you have so many symptoms!!!!!

If everything started after quitting nicotine, and all the tests say you are fine...it's probably the addiction messing with your mind. It's totally messing with mine!!! I just hope I have the longer breath and can hold out until the addiction is truly and completely inactive.

Don't torture yourself too much. If you can, work out! Great job on quitting nicotine! Keep going!

• Like 3

Hi Johnny5, 

Sorry for late reply, i been away from google thinking it is causing me confusion more, i think you are right , every ones quit is different, i am on 8 months 10 days quit, experiencing anxiety/depression with  chest muscle aches coldness, something  bad rolling in upper back, pain or something unable to describe it, gases and burps at peak, wanted to know how long did your anxiety phase last and what trick did really help, i really do not want to go with medicines, been doing walking and breathing exercises and fighting through this.

Hi Kate,

Thank you for offering help, I really concentrated on diet and worked on food in tolerances , to be honest i could eat and digest anything before quit , i did give up on spicy food, sugar, milk and see if its helps, it did bring my acidity down leaving burps and gases... i been using yogurt in case it helps, for me honestly anything i eat or not eat , they are creating  burps and gases, first my stomach gurgles then comes the burp... so i am like why not i eat more and more gain strengths and beat the pain, I  become very anxious, alert and start thinking anything wrong is happening to me...:( hope not, deep inside I believe it is all recovery process my body is adjusting and giving me pain, meanwhile my negative thoughts are confusing me and making me feel my symptoms worse and at its peak... I did take up task of walking 30 min, yoga 20 min and 15 min meditation to keep me in peace to keep myself cool and kill the irritation. I hope to have next better week.

Hi Angeleek,

Yes, all these issues started after quitting and reports are all good, i agree mind is messing up with my symptoms too, I am doing exercises with light stretches to keep myself busy to get good sleep, how was your experience like?

Edited by Amer
changes to text
  • Like 5

Amer,

I just joined this forum, I quit smoking cigarettes and Weed cold turkey on April 28th.  I started smoking at age 16 and I’m now 42.  I had quit before for a year but this time has been much much much harder.  My body litterally has freaked out and there has been constant numbness and tingling and soreness in my shoulders, neck, and arms.  My arms feel so heavy as if I had just lifted weights.  I have had so much stress and anxiety built up.  I have had horrible mood swings and can go from laughing to crying in the snap of a finger.  I have zero energy, which sucks because I’m ADHD.  Everyone’s body is different.  Some can kick the habit easily as some it’s much much harder.  

As crazy as it sounds, what your feeling  is all normal, I have read the same thing from many previous smokers.  

You need to understand that most of it is true what your feeling in your body, but also a lot of it is in your head.  Your mind is much stronger than you know.  It’s clinically proven that your mind can make your body feel curtain ways.  As crazy as it sounds, it’s 💯 true.  Maybe you are feeling upset at yourself for what you have done to your body for the past 25 years.  

Please take this next part of what I’m about to say very serious, as it made a world of difference for me.  

One thing that I would recommend is ACCUPUNTURE, you need to get Accupunture in your shoulders and neck and back, and also have them do cupping on your back. What both of these will do for you is relieve all the tension in your muscles.  Accupunture needles work wonders for me all the time.  Think about a massage m, but times 10.  Accupunture needles will be placed in your muscles and your arms will twitch like no other, but what this is doing is relieving the tension that has built up and helps bet the blood flowing again.  Believe it or not all your blood needs help flowing again after you stop smoking.  I did it yesterday and for the first time since I have quit I actually felt like 100 pounds of pressure has been taken off my shoulders.  I had no idea that my muscles were so tight.  It’s literally the “ONLY” reason I feel less stress.  I really really hope you consider this and look into.  
But please do your research and find a good acupuncturist as it’s very important because there are some bad ones out there.    

also try to meditate.  You need to relax your mind. You can find Apps that help you mediate.  Even if it’s only for 5 minutes.  You can do this every time you feel stress.  It really really helps.  

Also go online and look up this guy by the name of Shawn Achor, he is a motivational speaker and he explains about how powerful your mind is.  Look for one of his hour long videos, I promise you will feel better about yourself after watching him.   

Once again, everything your feeling is normal even though you don’t think it is.  This just goes to show what the chemicals in cigarettes actually do to you.  I promise you it will make a world of difference if you go get Accupunture.  I’m gonna do it twice a week, since the place I go to excepts my insurance.  Good luck friend and quittting smoking is the best choice for not only you but for your family.  

Good luck 👍🏼 

• Like 3

Hey Mike,

Thanks  for assurance and courage,  fingers cross for your journey on quit, congratulations Mike, I am happy  for you as you have taken this challenge up again and hope you will never never relapse and do keep it touch guy

you are right wave of sadness is just tip of the eye, your mood changes just like that, upper muscles are sore and always twitchy sounds when i move around which is very disturbing. I hope it gets better by time and does not lead to anything bad.  I am glad that i left the habit before any disaster occurs , more like a self awakening in pursuit of becoming fit and be more near to family.

Since you have already experienced this during your 1 year quit, i feel it will get better for me also but i do not want to return to it with the issues i experienced.

As per advise i have started to read Shawn Acor's book "The Happiness Advantage" its a nice one keeps me focused  for a while and i loose all of it as soon as I experience pain, i have to stay strong at it, i liked the idea of meditate whenever you feel stressed or worked out be it for 5 minutes working on it...regarding ACCUPUNTURE i have to get it done as time permits not available in my area though... as far as I remember i did cupping 8 months back...i agree its relief for day or two  and accupuncture and pyshio therapy could do wonders

I have been given placebo's my dear doctor as I  dislike to take medicines which never solved any of my issues during 8 months problem and kept me scared with  side effects, by my dear doctor for my condition i told her, she is been kind enough and taken the charge to support me during the process, referred me to Dietician suggested by Kate also,  Physicotherapist and so on. started her medication and sure will make difference

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It sounds as though you are making progress, Amer, even if it is not as rapid as you would want. You are taking action, taking responsibility, and that is the foundation of any success.

:) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kate... : )

Guys, will keep posted on progress.. this week seems bit lighter and better... looks like i am getting to see light in that dark tunnel but not so confident.... 

Thanks 

• Like 4

I'd echo what other people say. Go and see a doctor if you think something is seriously wrong. If the doctor says everything is ok then you need to look at your anxiety levels. I have been through severe anxiety a few times when packing in in the past and I was at the docs every week seeking reassurance. In the end I realised that it was the withdrawal symptoms from nicotine.

We are not all the same body. We are not all the same mind. We will all have our differences from withdrawal to such an addictive substance as nicotine. Whether someone smokes 1 or someone else smokes 50 the one who smokes 1 could suffer the most. That's the human body for you. No guarantees.

Go and see your doctor and as I say if he/she inspects you and says everything is fine then you need to look at your anxiety levels. Our mind can play these little games on us when withdrawing from nicotine abuse.

• Like 3

First, Congratulations on a great quit!  Stay strong.

I echo what others have said - to me it sounds like food intolerance or allergy.  I would try a gluten free and dairy free diet for few days just to eliminate the possibility.  Your Dr should be able to help with the finding the cause and I would focus on getting the right medical input rather than internet.

• Like 3

Congratulations on your quit. 8 months plus is Great! I agree with the advice you have been given here! I didn't understand that when I quit smoking it would take a long term commitment, or even a lifetime commitment to succeed. I just thought I would quit, each day would get better and in a relatively short period of time it would all be behind me. It would be like I never smoked for 47 years. That's not true! I was living in a dream world.

I couldn't resist suggesting to you that you concentrate on the psychological part of the quitting smoking process.

I have had many quits for different lengths of time over the past 8 years or so. My mind has always tricked me into smoking again so that I would feel better. I know realize that there was never anything really wrong with me, except I wanted that fix and my so called health problems were a way to justify getting it. Stay here and read all you can, watch all the videos you can. Talk to others who have experienced health problems during their quit. Try to separate what is a real problem that needs medical attention and what is mental problem being caused by the change you have made in your lifestyle. It's a long bumpy road. But some of the bumps can be softened by educating ourselves.

Good Luck! I hope you feel better Soon!

Jeff

• Like 3

I really Thank you guys... you are really great with your valuable advises... I love you all... : ) I am working on it... week tends to get better.... JH63., you nailed it by saying to play smart even with your own brain....

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 3:00 AM, Amer said:

I really Thank you guys... you are really great with your valuable advises... I love you all... : ) I am working on it... week tends to get better.... JH63., you nailed it by saying to play smart even with your own brain....

Amer, 

I quit aug 2019 and still have all the symptoms you describe. I also get these bad tension headaches which I never had before. The bloating is the worse. Acid reflux medicine didn't work for me so I take mastic gum which makes this better but I also incorporate lots of fruits. 

I have been checked out by different specialists and and gone to the emergency rooms several times. I also got a stress tests, mri, and ct scans. Everything has come back normal. I quit cold turkey thinking the symptoms were never gonna be that bad since I was only smoking a few cigs towards the time I quit too. I was never a heavy smoker also.

I started working with a therapist and hopefully that helps going forward. Please keep me updated on your progress. 

-Dan

Amer and Dan,

I smoked for about 40 years and I've tried to quit smoking many, many times in the past 24 years, so I've experienced the Nicotine withdrawals countless of times.  I've had a lot of different types of "issues" from time to time but I don't recall ever having any issue dragging out over 2 months.  I know everyone is different, but it just sounds really odd to have a Nicotine withdrawal symptom that can last over 8 months which makes me suspect that all the issues you've been having may not be related to quit smoking.

As many people have suggested, see your Doctor about these issues.

For anyone who's lurking the forum, don't be discouraged when you read this thread, the lengthy issues experienced by OP is not the norm, it's unusual to have withdrawal symptoms that long.  The mental issue is usually the main problem, not the physical withdrawals.  So educate yourself about quitting and you will quit successfully.

Good luck Amer and Dan, please keep us posted with your progress.

• Like 1