Patches

Teresa

Welcome to our merry little band of quitters, Patches.

People have successfully quit smoking with patches, following the prescribed step-down program.

We support all quits here no matter the method.

I quit cold turkey because I wanted to face my nicotine addiction head on and get the poison out of my body as quickly as possible.

Cold Turkey isn't crazy hard, it is just making a commitment to yourself that you quit smoking and be willing to go through some uncomfortable moments if needed.

You may still go through uncomfortable moments using any NRT, this is just the nature of nicotine addiction. 

There is NO magic bullet except your steadfast commitment to never ever smoke again.

Here is a thread to help you around the site

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine  

The more information you gather about nicotine addiction the easier your quit will be.  So study all the links

Planning can also cause unnecessary anxiety where jumping in with your commitment allays your pre-stress about quitting.

You can avoid a lot of qualms and fears about quitting as soon as you make that commitment to yourself and start living as a Free person.

Here is a vid  and resources from our friend, Joel Spitzer, concerning Cold Turkey

Whatever You Do Don't Quit Smoking Cold Turkey

• Like 4

Welcome Teresa, you'll have to figure out what works best for you. I quit cold turkey too but we've got a lot of members who have successful quits using NRTs so you'll just need to figure out if you want to remove the bandaid quickly or slowly.

The beauty with quitting cold turkey is that you get the nicotine out quick, then it's just dealing with the mental part of the addiction. With NRT's you're still putting nicotine into your body and prolonging that part of your quit.

Whatever method you decide on you'll have our support so stick close, we love a quitter 😊

• Like 4

• jillar locked and unlocked this topic

Hi and welcome ...

Congratulations on your great decision to set yourself free from this horrible killer addiction ...

We have tons of useful information on our Main Smoking Board...to help you along ...

Getting yourself to Freedom ....this can be done the fast route or the slow route ..your choice ..

Just get there ....

• Like 4

Welcome..

Joining this site and your decision to quit smoking are some of the best choices you are going to make. The information and the support that you receive here will help in all aspects of your quit. Of course it's your decision on which way you decide to go about it. I also did the cold turkey method and have lasted 24 days now smoke free. I contribute this success to the support on this site and my personal resolve to succeed. Remember that you are stronger than you give yourself credit.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard, Teresa.

I am not that knowledgeable about patches (although quite a few here are) but I can say that you are making a great choice in quitting smoking.  Stick close to this site - there is a lot of knowledge and support you can get here.

• Like 4

Hi Teresa,

Welcome!  I am a fan of the patch.  For me, it makes quitting smoking much easier.  I quit smoking cold turkey four years ago and while the method worked, it was a very difficult process for me.  However, in all fairness, I'm not sure if I would appreciate what the patch does for me had I not previously quit cold turkey.  To learn about people's experiences, I would suggest reading reviews for the various brands of patches.

It's a good idea to learn as much as you can about nicotine addiction.  That will serve you well regarless of which quit method you choose for yourself.  Best wishes to you!

Mona

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mona said:

Hi Teresa,

Welcome!  I am a fan of the patch.  For me, it makes quitting smoking much easier.  I quit smoking cold turkey four years ago and while the method worked, it was a very difficult process for me.  However, in all fairness, I'm not sure if I would appreciate what the patch does for me had I not previously quit cold turkey.  To learn about people's experiences, I would suggest reading reviews for the various brands of patches.

It's a good idea to learn as much as you can about nicotine addiction.  That will serve you well regarless of which quit method you choose for yourself.  Best wishes to you!

Mona

Mona, have you actually quit ?  or are you avoiding this essential question ?

You have failed your quits, both a cold turkey quit and a NRT quit and maybe more.

I hardly see your advise on either as being useful at this point.

How about learning from people's experiences about having a successfully maintained quit

These are the voices to listen to, no matter what method they used.

again, I must post this wisdom from Joel Spitzer, Resources Every Quit Is Different

• Confused 1

Yes, I have quit.  I am unaware of this unsuccessful NRT quit you speak of.  I have had many unsuccessful cold turkey attempts though.

1 hour ago, Sazerac said:

I hardly see your advise on either as being useful at this point.

Wow!  Some support person you are.

I used the patches before, (along with every other method known to man!)

This quit (my sticky quit) was cold turkey.

I honestly think my success has been do to mindset, a fabulous support group, and educating myself on the addiction.

Take it one day at a time, sometimes it's one moment at a time!

Commit. Be willing. NO smoking...No Matter What!!!!

There are no magic pills or methods - be prepared for hard work. (Some have had fairly easy quits, but I don't think they are the norm.)

You can do this, believe me that you will find strength you never knew you had. Commit. No excuses. NO smoking...No Matter What!!!

I can tell you this - this group of people want you to succeed and will help you every way possible.

Please post often even if it's to rant - we've been there. We understand.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mona said:

Yes, I have quit.  I am unaware of this unsuccessful NRT quit you speak of.  I have had many unsuccessful cold turkey attempts though.

Wow!  Some support person you are.

I am very glad to hear that you have quit.  Are you using patches ?  Let us know your date so we can help you with what to expect and support you the best way we know how.

Having a successful quit has little to do with the method of quitting.  It has everything to do with standing by your commitment to yourself.

I am sorry if what I said upset you.  This was not my intention.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sazerac said:

I am very glad to hear that you have quit.  Are you using patches ?  Let us know your date so we can help you with what to expect and support you the best way we know how.

Having a successful quit has little to do with the method of quitting.  It has everything to do with standing by your commitment to yourself.

I am sorry if what I said upset you.  This was not my intention.  

Yes, I am using patches.  I will have one week tomorrow.

• Like 2

Hi Teresa!

Patches made me feel like I was on something round the clock. And the dose was either too much or too little, so I was not successful with them at all.  I also tried gum, quit for a short while, started smoking again and got addicted to the gum in between smokes.  Kept that addiction 10+ years.  I finally wound up going cold turkey and have been off nicotine for 102 days.  It was hard for me the first 2 weeks, but totally doable.  It's not nearly as scary as you imagine it to be, once you start. You do still have to do the head work after breaking the addiction cold turkey. That's the hard part and where education, sites like these and Joel Spitzer's video lectures really help.  

Try whatever method you think will work for you. If it doesn't work, go on to the next method.  Good luck...you can quit!!!

Edited by Angeleek
  • Like 1

Too low of a dose meant I would crave a cigarette.  Too high of a dose meant heart palpitations.

They also made me itch where I applied them.

The benefit was I wasn't using nicotine orally. But alas, I couldn't stick with them and quit.

• Like 1

They also don't stick forever and don't hold up to a shower, so best to apply after showering, before lotioning. Brand name ones are stickier than generic store brands.

They also gave me weird dreams.

• Like 1