4 weeks smoke free!

Amierouge

I can’t believe it!  After 30 years, I’ve finally made it this far.  I want to thank you guys and gals for supporting me.  I know I only post every so often, but your responses have been super helpful.  Sometimes it’s good to hear different perspectives.  I like the article and videos you recommended too.

i am stepping down a level on my NRT.  I know it’s not the greatest, but honestly think I would never have made it this far without using it.  I feel ready to move to a lower dosage.  To think I’ll be completely free in a few more weeks is exciting.

i just talked to my best friend who is still a heavy smoker.  She is being supportive.  We did talk about how things will be different the next time we hangout.  We agreed she won’t smoke In small spaces with me for a while.  I won’t get mad at her smoke breaks either.  I don’t know how it will feel to go outside with her if she’s smoking.

i guess the good news is this quarantine may keep us from hanging out in person too regularly for a while.  I haven’t seen her in 6 weeks.  😱. We still do our nightly gab sessions on the phone.

Do you have suggestions on how to keep my friendship strong without being too tempted?

• Like 6

Woohoo, congratulations on four weeks smoke free  @Amierouge That's awesome! 😊

I think you're wise to be concerned about being around smokers this early in your quit. I stayed close to home my first couple of months and only ventured out when my never smoker husband could go too because I didn't trust myself. But the more time that passed the easier it got to be around people who smoked. So my suggestion is that you or they leave the area and go somewhere else for ten minutes or so. Maybe hang out inside while your friend goes outside to smoke. 

It will get easier and easier over time so try not to over think it. You may be fine by the time the stay at home orders are lifted 😊

pkvjqbqxsqu41.jpg

• Like 4

Congratulations @Amierouge

Yes, definitely keep your guard up when you are around smoking friends but the temptation to light up will decrease over time.  It is good that your smoking friend is supportive of your quit.  That should make things better.

Keep up the great work 👍

• Like 4

Congratulations.... on your 1st month Smoke Free....

Yes !!!....can only agree with the posters above ...maybe stay indoors ,while your friend goes out to smoke 

Why temp fate !!!......until you have stronger quit ....I bet when you smell that stink ..you,ll be glad you did ...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Amierouge said:

I can’t believe it!  After 30 years, I’ve finally made it this far.  I want to thank you guys and gals for supporting me.  I know I only post every so often, but your responses have been super helpful.  Sometimes it’s good to hear different perspectives.  I like the article and videos you recommended too.

i am stepping down a level on my NRT.  I know it’s not the greatest, but honestly think I would never have made it this far without using it.  I feel ready to move to a lower dosage.  To think I’ll be completely free in a few more weeks is exciting.

i just talked to my best friend who is still a heavy smoker.  She is being supportive.  We did talk about how things will be different the next time we hangout.  We agreed she won’t smoke In small spaces with me for a while.  I won’t get mad at her smoke breaks either.  I don’t know how it will feel to go outside with her if she’s smoking.

i guess the good news is this quarantine may keep us from hanging out in person too regularly for a while.  I haven’t seen her in 6 weeks.  😱. We still do our nightly gab sessions on the phone.

Do you have suggestions on how to keep my friendship strong without being too tempted?

Congratulations on your Freedom !

You must protect your quit at all costs, any expense.  This is your LIFE and the quality of your health we are speaking about.

Second Hand Smoke is TOXIC. 

There is no reason a FRIEND would subject a friend to deadly poison and you needn't participate in anything concerning smoking.

You don't go licking puddles in a toxic waste dump, do you ?

You wouldn't do that even for your best friend, would you ?

Stay away from smokers as long as you need to. My first encounter after I had quit wasn't even a trigger, the stench was repugnant and nauseating.

My friends who smoke DO NOT smoke around me. 

They will lose my friendship if they do.

It is a matter of respect. 

They are free to poison themselves away from me and I do not hound them about their choice...well, mostly lol.

You should also be concerned about Third Hand Smoke. 

Butts in ashtrays emit toxins, clothes emit toxins, skin emits toxins, furnishings and walls !

Study up so you know exactly what you are exposing yourself to, it is so much more than the possibility of endangering your quit.

It is about endangering your life.

• Like 5

Congratulations on four weeks of freedom Amierouge.

13 hours ago, Amierouge said:

There are things you can control and things you cannot control.  You have little to no control over what they do.  You have complete control over how you respond.

You've made a commitment to yourself.  You are having great success with that commitment.  Be relentless with that commitment and stay the course that you have set for yourself.

You are on a mission and someone on a mission is a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 5

Jillar is absolutely correct.

You quit smoking, you don't smoke anymore !  You are a former smoker the second you stop lighting up.

Please remember to celebrate and reward yourself for all craves conquered and standing down all trigger.

This will have an even bigger impact when you are nicotine free.

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 3