What I Love About Being Smokefree !!

Doreensfree

• 2 months later...

I had a little smokers cough that was threatening to get worse...gone!!!

My sense of smell is so keen! The scent of fresh cut meadow grass on a warm and sunny day.

Still hating those 20 extra pounds though. Well at least I won't be a bag of bones from smoking!

• Like 8

On 4/19/2020 at 7:32 AM, Doreensfree said:

I love ....That horrible black cloud  has gone ...The black cloud of shame ...

I can still remember that feeling ...never going back there ...Ever !!!

Loving not having that shroud around me.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mac#23 said:

I love not having to look for a spot to smoke Everytime I went somewhere.

In my smoking days ...this would be number one on my list ....alot of the time ..if I couldn't smoke ...

I didn't t go !!!!

• Like 7

When I relapsed a couple of years ago, I was so ashamed of myself that I didn't tell a single soul.  It was my dirty little secret.  It takes a lot of effort to not get busted when you're a closet smoker so it's quite a relief to be back to having nothing to hide!!!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

In my smoking days ...this would be number one on my list ....alot of the time ..if I couldn't smoke ...

I didn't t go !!!!

I remember I was visiting home once, and my mother and brother refused to go to the movies with me because they couldn't smoke. I was so disappointed. Even as a smoker I could still sit through half a movie..all if I was riveted. So not having to forego movies because of smoking is definitely a plus!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Mona said:

When I relapsed a couple of years ago, I was so ashamed of myself that I didn't tell a single soul.  It was my dirty little secret.  It takes a lot of effort to not get busted when you're a closet smoker so it's quite a relief to be back to having nothing to hide!!!

But what I found out when I quit Mona was that while I thought I was hiding my smoking from some people, once I quit I realized I could smell smoke on a person a mile away so that made me wonder; was I really fooling anyone but myself back then when I tried being a closet smoker? Probably not.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, reciprocity said:

But what I found out when I quit Mona was that while I thought I was hiding my smoking from some people, once I quit I realized I could smell smoke on a person a mile away so that made me wonder; was I really fooling anyone but myself back then when I tried being a closet smoker? Probably not.

I get what you're saying reciprocity but nobody ever said anything.  The only way to know for sure would be to ask which is not going to happen.  After all that effort, I'm not confessing!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

There's so much to list, the top 2 on my list are:

1)  It was extremely inconvenient that every time we went somewhere as a family, I had to look for a time and place to break away from the family for quick drag as my wife and kids hate smoking.  So the thing I love the most about being free from Nicotine is definitely enjoying the family vacation, now I can spend 100% my time with my family and not having to think about smoking.

2) All my relatives and close friends are either non-smokers or have already quit years ago.  I've always felt a bit shameful in social events where I was the only one who needed to snuck out for a drag, it's great not to have to do that anymore.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mona said:

OMG this was so me.  I was the biggest closet smoker and so ashamed.  The thing that is sad about this, is that I chose to stay home and not take part so that I could smoke.  The best part of my quit is the freedom to live life without looking ahead to my next cigarette. 

• Like 9

Yesterday when I read this post. I couldn't think of one thing I liked about being smokefree. I was irritable, and just generally in a pissy mood. Today however. I like that I don't have to worry about how I smell, if my teeth and fingers are turning yellow. I don't know if you guys noticed, but I had like this strange yellowing that was staining my fingers. It took me a minute of just scrubbing it to get it off, but I didn't like that so I am liking that I am no longer yellow and stained with nicotine. I am also glad that I don't have worry about burning my house down because I fell asleep with a cigarette. Because we all know it could happen. So I am just glad to be a non-smoker. I am just glad to not be chained. I could go on probably for days, but I will just say that for the first time in a few days I can say I am happy about it. I am not going to lie, there for a couple days I couldn't figure out why I was going through all this for. The only thing that kept me going, was 

A) I worked to hard to get to a month smoke-free and didn't want to throw that away

B) I had made my daily pledge to not smoke and I did it each and every day. irritability or not.

C) I also kept really close to not only the SOS board, by my personal SOS and I just took it easy. I kept my quit because I didn't want to let myself, or you guys down.

So thank you for listening, I am glad that I am smoke-free and I am also glad that I took the yearly pledge.

Nana

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Nana20 said:

Yesterday when I read this post. I couldn't think of one thing I liked about being smokefree. I was irritable, and just generally in a pissy mood. Today however. I like that I don't have to worry about how I smell, if my teeth and fingers are turning yellow. I don't know if you guys noticed, but I had like this strange yellowing that was staining my fingers. It took me a minute of just scrubbing it to get it off, but I didn't like that so I am liking that I am no longer yellow and stained with nicotine. I am also glad that I don't have worry about burning my house down because I fell asleep with a cigarette. Because we all know it could happen. So I am just glad to be a non-smoker. I am just glad to not be chained. I could go on probably for days, but I will just say that for the first time in a few days I can say I am happy about it. I am not going to lie, there for a couple days I couldn't figure out why I was going through all this for. The only thing that kept me going, was 

A) I worked to hard to get to a month smoke-free and didn't want to throw that away

B) I had made my daily pledge to not smoke and I did it each and every day. irritability or not.

C) I also kept really close to not only the SOS board, by my personal SOS and I just took it easy. I kept my quit because I didn't want to let myself, or you guys down.

So thank you for listening, I am glad that I am smoke-free and I am also glad that I took the yearly pledge.

Nana

LOVE, LOVE LOVE this nana, and we're glad you did too 😘

• Like 4

This is only the beginning too Nana...the benefits keep on coming ...

The first thing I noticed was ...That horrible thick creamy coating on my tongue had disappeared ...

I actually found out my tongue was a nice clean pink healthy looking thing ...

I was very proud of this new finding ...

Since smoking from the tender young age of 11 ....and smoked 52 years ....I never imaging this is what a tongue should look like ...

• Like 5

I don't know about anyone else, but when I read through all the posts in this thread and all the things that people had to do (or avoided to do) when they were still smoking, I was just kept on shaking my head because all of those were me, me, me, me, me....   Gosh, it's shocking to see how inconvenience my life was in the last 40 years!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JohnQ said:

I don't know about anyone else, but when I read through all the posts in this thread and all the things that people had to do (or avoided to do) when they were still smoking, I was just kept on shaking my head because all of those were me, me, me, me, me....   Gosh, it's shocking to see how inconvenience my life was in the last 40 years!

There's a lot of stuff we either ignore or just don't want to admit to while we are smokers - a lot! It truly is shocking!

I figured for all the years I smoked, I probably spent about $200K on trying to kill myself. What was I thinking?

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

Every. Single. Thing.

I loved the quitting process, learning about my addiction, how to recover from it, how to over come it...how to live again. I finally love me! My life completely changed; my husband too... quitting will always be the best thing I've ever done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 11:52 PM, reciprocity said:

On 7/7/2020 at 10:51 AM, Mona said:

I get what you're saying reciprocity but nobody ever said anything.  The only way to know for sure would be to ask which is not going to happen.  After all that effort, I'm not confessing!

No one ever told me either.   People seemed surprised when they found out I smoked.  I think they are just being nice as I could smell it on others (even as a smoker).   And even through the perfume/cologne they tried to cover it up with.

But then when you think more about it... what friend, loved one, or total stranger  is honestly going to just rudely blurt out that you, your house, or you vehicle reeks?   I never did.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wayne045 said:

But then when you think more about it... what friend, loved one, or total stranger  is honestly going to just rudely blurt out that you, your house, or you vehicle reeks?   I never did.

I had a sister that would have called me or anyone else out with great glee. She was just that kind of person, mean, nasty and vindictive. Made her day to humiliate or belittle someone in front of others although I realize, that's not the norm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1