👋 Hey.

dullyboi

Hey everyone.

Gonna start by saying I've been nicotine free for 4 days now, and I'm feelin pretty terrible, but I have high hopes for the future. Im an 18 year old college student that is quitting while also dealing with online school and quarantine. I was suggested to get in touch with people who also quit or have been quitting cigarettes, and thought this really active forum was a good idea.

Question for you guys, what did quitting help you or allow you to do that you couldn't do before? Could be an activity, a feeling, anything that might have changed for the better.

I'm trying to become more of an outgoing and responsible person. I love sports but never pursued it, so I'm going to start as a hobby. I love my friends, but I can get anxious in all sorts of situations. I mainly want to let go of being an anxious person and I believe quitting will help me do that. 

Now while quitting is making me much more anxious, I realize that it's only temporary and will pass after a week or two.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by dullyboi
  • Like 3

Hi again dullyboi, quitting gave me higher self-esteem. It also gave me much better circulation, clothes that didn't stink or have holes in them from cigarette burns and lots of extra money! Take a look around at all our tickers or better yet make your own for your signature. You'll be able to see all the time, money saved and cigarettes not smoked add up since you quit. Super inspirational and something I looked forward to seeing every day I logged on.

You are very wise to quit at only 18 years old so be very proud of yourself 😊

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dullyboi said:

Hey everyone.

Gonna start by saying I've been nicotine free for 4 days now, and I'm feelin pretty terrible, but I have high hopes for the future. Im an 18 year old college student that is quitting while also dealing with online school and quarantine. I was suggested to get in touch with people who also quit or have been quitting cigarettes, and thought this really active forum was a good idea.

Question for you guys, what did quitting help you or allow you to do that you couldn't do before? Could be an activity, a feeling, anything that might have changed for the better.

I'm trying to become more of an outgoing and responsible person. I love sports but never pursued it, so I'm going to start as a hobby. I love my friends, but I can get anxious in all sorts of situations. I mainly want to let go of being an anxious person and I believe quitting will help me do that. 

Now while quitting is making me much more anxious, I realize that it's only temporary and will pass after a week or two.

Thanks for reading!

Hello dullyboi,  congratulations on your quit !  I am so glad you found us.

Quitting smoking, I think, has led to profound changes in all of us.  Every last one of us !

Beneficial changes.

To start with,  an everlasting shot of self-confidence and self-respect.  Confidence.

An inner trust, we are no longer poisoning ourselves !

Many physical improvements...we can breathe ! 

Our blood is able to move freely and supply oxygen to our vital organs and limbs without nicotine constricting our blood vessels

It has taught me the power of commitment and focus.  It has deepened my compassion...

Here are a few pages of our experiences

The Benefits of Quitting Smoking

included in that post is a link to another two pages and other resources for you.

• Like 4

I would echo the improved self esteem thing dullyboi! Once you realize that you can put this nicotine addiction behind you for a better future, you will know that you can do anything you set your mind to. Also, quitting now will allow you to be physically active through the years. OK, you're only 18 now understand that many, many years of smoking will take a heavy toll on you physically down the road so, quit now and avoid that outcome. It's the only viable option for a bright future!

• Like 5

As you travel this quit journey, you are going to find how strong you truly are.  Smoking has never helped with your anxiety but only added to it.   If you like sports and exercise, you will be amazed at how much more energetic you are.  There are only benefits in quitting.  Keep going.  You can do it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dullyboi said:

Question for you guys, what did quitting help you or allow you to do that you couldn't do before?

Hey Dully

I took up hiking and backpacking.  I've done a few trips to the Sierra Nevada and crossed mountain ranges of 12,000+ ft elevation.  So amazing.  NEVER could have done that when I was a smoker.  This one was Rae Lakes last summer.  Added on an additional trail to total 60 miles. The possibilities are limitless when you quit smoking.

image.thumb.png.11f37c05a073051c1421a40ec8206dce.png

• Like 4

Hey Dullyboi,

Welcome to QT, you're going to find amazing support here, primarily because everyone here knows the struggles related to quitting smoking and has overcome them.

Stay close and shout out for any help, @Sazerac has shared some useful links, go through them. Everyone else has provided great advice so I won't really add to it, except one thing. Take your quit one day at a time, don't jump too ahead, just tell yourself you'll get through the next few hours, then the day and then reset the clock and start again.

Oh and yes, it is amazing that you're quitting early, kudos for that.

Welcome once more. Look forward to seeing you around.

P.S. Maybe I'm totally off the mark, but is your name a play on Gully Boy?

• Like 4

Wow!!!.....I wish I had the brains to quit at your age ....you can have a whole life smoke free ...instead of...

Trying to quit thousands of times and failing ....finally mastering it at 63 years old .... why ???

Because I was about to have my two feet amputated if I didn't ...

I did manage to save my feet ....but that's not all....I'm more healthy and have more energy now ,than what I had 20 years ago....I'm more content ...relaxed,and richer....

Don't even question your desicion.....you,ll never regret it .......

Stick around and learn all you can ...it will give you the power....

• Like 7