Anxiety... please help!

dullyboi

Im going through some serious anxiety these last few days. It's been 4 days since I've had my last cigarette, and I can't stop my overthinking and anxiety. I don't necessarily NEED a cigarette in particular but I'd do anything to make these symptoms stop. Sometimes I feel like I'm going insane. Anyone else feel the same way? 

Thank you all for your support.

• Like 2

Welcome to our train dullyboi and congrats on 4 days quit. What you are experiencing is totally normal for where you are in your quit but if it gets too much to handle you may want to ask your dr about a temporary anxiety med to help you. You can also try drinking juice, sucking on a piece of candy, eating something sweet. This has helped a lot of us too. Maybe even try a soothing bath?

Once this passes, and it will, you will see that it was all worth it :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes dullyboi. It is common to feel anxious but that is the nicotine addiction calling you.  If you feed it, you will be right back starting over.  4 days quit is awesome and something to be proud of.  It does get better each day.  Talk to your physician and see if he can prescribe something to help.  When I was quitting, I would close my  eyes and take deep breaths imagining my lungs healing.  Stay close to the forum and reach out as you need us.  We are here to help.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on 4 days smoke free.  Unfortunately anxiety is common during the early stages of your quit.

Things do get better with time and a smoke free life is worth the early struggles.

1 hour ago, Mee said:

It is common to feel anxious but that is the nicotine addiction calling you.  If you feed it, you will be right back starting over.

This sums it up perfectly.  This is the addiction trying to drag you back in.  As long as you resist and do NOT light up, you are winning.   Things will improve but smoking now will just ruin the great job you have done so far.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Try deep breathing exercises! It will help calm you. Take a deep breath, hold to the count of 5 & release. Do that for at least a few minuets. That and meditation, if you're into that kind of thing. 

Congrats of 4 days quit! That's awesome!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dullyboi said:

Im going through some serious anxiety these last few days. It's been 4 days since I've had my last cigarette, and I can't stop my overthinking and anxiety. I don't necessarily NEED a cigarette in particular but I'd do anything to make these symptoms stop. Sometimes I feel like I'm going insane. Anyone else feel the same way? 

Thank you all for your support.

hello dullyboi.  welcome to the QTrain.

Congratulations on your quit !  Nicotine is pretty well out of your body now.  Keep  going.  

Nicotine is it's own stress and anxiety generator.

Smoking Does Not Help You Overcome Stress

Soon, you will be feeling better.  Why not take this time and learn all you can about nicotine addiction,

this will explain so much of what you are experiencing.

This thread may be helpful to you

10 Ways10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although you may find that your anxiety increases for a short while,  you'll eventually see a dramatic decrease in daily anxiety. No more worrying when you'll get your next fix or that you're having trouble breathing, etc.

Keep rolling over those bumps....you're doing great. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, dullyboi said:

Day 5, still having bad withdrawals. The most annoying part of this is the feeling of dread that this constant lack of happiness will continue on unless I smoke. Does anyone relate? I'm having the worst time 😔

The good news and bad news is that almost all of us can relate.  That's why the call it Hell Week, but the best news is that you're almost at the end of it.  You just have to keep plodding forward, putting the toughest days behind you and trying to find ways to distract yourself along the way.  Exercise, read, nap, eat, play games -- whatever can distract you and get you to the next moment.  Visualize yourself as the happy non-smoker you want to be and make it come true.  

• Like 4

I remember the dread.  You have to realize it is like grieving a friend.  That cigarette was there by your side for a long time.   Realize it has never been your friend. 

Your addiction wants to be noticed.  Keep your mind focused on quitting.   Breath deep and imagine your body healing.  I promise it will improve each day.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dullyboi said:

Day 5, still having bad withdrawals. The most annoying part of this is the feeling of dread that this constant lack of happiness will continue on unless I smoke. Does anyone relate? I'm having the worst time 😔

Yes, we all felt the same to one degree or the other.   Just ride it out, have faith in the process.  You will be fine and happier than you can ever imagine.

Understanding The Emotional Loss Experienced When Quitting Smoking

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dullyboi said:

We smoked.  We got addicted to nicotine.  We agreed to a bad deal.

The inability to go back in time and choose to never begin smoking in the first place left us with two options: (1) Wave the white flag of surrender and continue smoking until it eventually kills us.  Or: (2) Commit to the quit.

Both options present their own unique series of challenges.  However, one option is clearly preferable to the other.  Quitting requires a period of adjustment that can present moments of feeling out of sorts, but offers many positive benefits that accrue over time.  Choosing to continue to smoke allows you to avoid the temporary adjustment period but offers nothing in return and will eventually take everything from you.

The choice basically boils down to: dealing with a bump in the road or continuing to fall into the abyss.  The choice is obvious.

• Like 5

Day 6, still anxious, but i was able to completely relax for about 30 minutes today, which I hadn't done before. The anxiety goes up and down constantly throughout the day. The world around me just seems so stressful without nicotine. My mood's a little better but it's still dreadful at times. Does anyone relate? 

• Like 3

Learn some techniques to settle yourself, @dullyboi.

These will help you throughout your life, your smoke free life.

Deep Breathing,

Meditation

Exercise of choice

Sit with yourself and concentrate on something of beauty.  A memory, a piece of art, music.  The face of a loved one. That light on that leaf.

We are surrounded by beauty and it stimulates our endorphins.  Use this to your advantage.

• Like 4

I had a few crazy days like that myself. Some of the things that worked for me were:

Closing my eyes and just taking slow deep breaths

Drinking lots of water

Taking a walk or some excercise

Get immersed in a hobby, chore or a book

It's hard work but completely worth it so hang tough. Just lean on everyone here because they truly know what you are going through.

• Like 4

Keep reminding yourself ...your body is healing ....it's like confused right now ...

It's been used to being fed hundreds of poisons every day 20,30,40  times a day ...

Is it any wonder our bodies are unsettled....

Stick with it ...all is temporary.....

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the support everyone! Another day without nicotine. I've been getting tension headaches throughout the week that last for a while. Just tightness from the anxiety. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm gonna try and sleep now and get through another day tomorrow, smoke free.

• Like 5