All Aboard The Quit Quit Train

Lordy

Hello all,

All aboard the choo choo quit quit train!

I've managed to quit cold turkey on the 1st this month (fools day I know) after nearly 24 years of smoking about a pack a day.

12th day smoke free, damn it's so hard! All sorts of quitting symptoms,  can't say that I'm having the time of my life, just hang in there and take on each day one by one.

Hats off to all of you who stayed strong and quit smoking!

• Like 11

Welcome aboard lordy and congratulations on 12 days quit, that's fantastic 😊  You'll find lots of support and great resources here so be sure to check out all our various forums. 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lordy said:

Hello all,

All aboard the choo choo quit quit train!

I've managed to quit cold turkey on the 1st this month (fools day I know) after nearly 24 years of smoking about a pack a day.

12th day smoke free, damn it's so hard! All sorts of quitting symptoms,  can't say that I'm having the time of my life, just hang in there and take on each day one by one.

Hats off to all of you who stayed strong and quit smoking!

Hats off to you for quitting smoking !  Congratulations !  The time of your life is ahead.

You can build yourself a successful quit too, Lordy.

Commit to NOPE (Not One Puff Ever ) and there you are !

You may find this thread helpful,

10 Ways to Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello and welcome Lordy.....

Great decision to put down the fags for good ...

Spend time reading all the great info on the Main Board ..it's pinned in green...

Watch all Joel's videos ...you beat this monster with Knowledge....it will be your best weapon ...

You will get all the support you need to succeed here...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome. Lordy.  So glad you have found us and the courage to quit.  12 days quit is awesome.  Stay close to the forum and get to know us.  We are here to help guide you on this journey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Lordy and congratulations on 12 days smoke free.  You are making it through the toughest days but things do get a lot better and life as a non-smoker is worth whatever early struggles you may have.

It is good to have you here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Never tried to quit in my 24 smoking years, this is a first and I'm sure I can handle it.

Is it true that the worst time is the first two weeks or so? Does it gets better after?

• Like 1

The quit is different for everyone lordy but I think mindset has a lot to do with how hard or easy it is for you. I had a hard first year but it was my own doing because I thought I was missing out when in fact I was freeing myself. Others simply quit and are done and go about their life like they never smoked. But generally speaking I think the first month is the very hardest of the whole first year. You have us though to help you through it all :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Lordy! You CAN do it if you have a solid commitment to staying free of the slavery to nicotine addiction. This is one thing that is completely within your control, and there's a lot of things that aren't these days but this one is 100% up to you and your actions. You will go through a lot of stuff over the short term, physically and emotionally but if you stay true to your commitment, you will come out the other side with a much better future. That I guarantee you! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Lordy.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

2 hours ago, Lordy said:

Is it true that the worst time is the first two weeks or so? Does it gets better after?

If it didn't get better with time most of us wouldn't be here.  The roller coaster ride that is the early days of a quit levels out eventually.

With persistence and repetition, once difficult tasks become second nature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Lordy, I so glad you joined the group. Anything truly worth doing is something you have to work hard at. I myself just currently quit after smoking for 37 years. I am currently on day 8. Just hang in there and we will do this together.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lordy said:

Welcome, and he'll yeah it does...unfortunately there is no miracle magic day that your done cos we are all different...the other thing is that change is a little each day....day 12 is easier than day 1 but it's still brings its sh1t so we don't really notice that it is easier...but in time you look back and are so glad you stuck it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lordy said:

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Never tried to quit in my 24 smoking years, this is a first and I'm sure I can handle it.

Some quitters do not have a 'worst time'  some do to varying degrees. 

A lot depends on your mindset.  Should you experience discomfort it will not last long, disappearing by degrees.

One day you realize you haven't thought about smoking or not smoking at all for hours, days, weeks, years.

Do not be afraid of craves.  They are brain receptors used to a charge of nicotine to release endorphins into your bloodstream.

Your brain will be reclaiming them one by one and dole out the feel good endorphins again but, without the nicotine prompt.

How Nicotine Works

Is This Your First Time Quitting ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

I thought I'd check in and say that I'm still on board of the quit train, yesterday was my one month anniversary :)

Most cessation symptoms are gone by now, all is left it's a sort of pain at the back of my head that makes me dizzy, then I start sweating and have heart palpitations. Is this normal? Have you guys been through this?

• Like 5

Happy One Month of Freedom, Lordy !  

so happy to hear you are still quit.

I didn't have the pain or dizziness that you describe but, some of our quitter may have and will chime in after reading this.

Remember your body has been through a lot of abuse with the addiction and now needs time to heal.

Smoking, also,  may have hidden other medical issues so, please consult medical professionals with any concerns.

Are you on any meds ?  Medication Adjustments That May Be Necessary After Quitting Smoking

• Like 3

Hi Lordy ..

Huge congratulations.....

Carnt remember having these symptoms.....but everyone is different ....

If your worried about anything ...seek medical advice ....it can ease your mind ...

Remember !!!!..we have messed our bodies about for decades...it takes a little time to heal ...

Keep going ...All will be Temporarily...

• Like 4

Great job Lordy,

I haven't experienced anything like that either. I getting close to my one month Mark as well. I have a couple days to get through. They are right about seeing your doctor when it comes to health questions. You doctor's sole purpose is to keep you healthy as best as he knows possible.

• Like 4

Congratulations on one month quit Lordy!

12 hours ago, Lordy said:

Most cessation symptoms are gone by now, all is left it's a sort of pain at the back of my head that makes me dizzy, then I start sweating and have heart palpitations. Is this normal? Have you guys been through this?

No, this is not normal.  Like others have suggested, you should probably see a doctor.  If the doctors can't help, you may want to try magnesium supplements.  I had similar symptons when I gave up caffeine cold turkey (due to bad doctor advice I might add--they don't know everything).  Caffeine and nicotine are both vasoconstrictors and can mask magnesium deficiency.  Before I discovered this through my own research, I had seen multiple doctors and nobody could help me.  The neurologist I was referred to gave me a suped-up NSAID which helped somewhat but I still didn't feel all that great.  Once I took magnesium supplements for a while, all symptoms went away.  I still take them today (12 years later) because it seems like if I stop taking them for more than a couple of days, I get light symptoms.  Hope your issues resolve one way or the other soon.

• Like 1