Smoking, glaucoma, and cataracts

Kate18

A year ago I had an eye exam and the eye doctor told me that I have early-stage cataracts and glaucoma. She instructed me to absolutely quit smoking. That was April last year. It wasn't until February 21 this year that I got myself to quit for keeps. I'd quit for days or weeks, even a month a couple of times, but it was a struggle and I lapsed.

Today I went back to her because I've been feeling pressure in my right eye.  She asked about health changes and I was so happy to be able to tell her that I'd finally quit smoking. 

In spite of the moments of craving occasionally, staying quit feels for-good now. The impetus when I quit on Feb 21st was fear of getting fatal pneumonia with the virus, but saving my eyesight is another big incentive to stay quit.

So many reasons to quit and stay quit.

• Like 4

I am so glad you have quit, @Kate18. Your eyes !  Vision !!!

Smoking does an insane amount of damage.  We often just concentrate on lung damage but, the repercussions of tobacco are ubiquitous.

Here is a kinda nerdy (sorry) thread from the National Institute of Health about Smoking and the Incidence of Glaucoma.

I have a friend with macular degeneration, smoker.  Still smokes at least a pack a day.  ugh.  Tragic. Senseless. 

Study Explains How Smoking Raises Risk of Macular Degneration

Diabetic Retinopathy, Cataracts, damage from dry eyes, decreased blood flow to retina...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1