Daily counter, my journey

AK47

Gotta agree ... you're either quit or a smoker. There's no grey area when it comes to nicotine addiction. 1 is too many and 1,000 cartons are not enough! Free yourself with the help from others here or remain a slave to nicotine addiction. The choice is yours and yours alone.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

One Puff, man !  one puff and you re-ignite the addiction.

This is something I have experienced in the past. I thought that it's only a drag or two. It won't effect anything and I can still quit. it turned into an EPIC fail. I slid right back into smoking again right where I left off. You have to understand that if you really want to commit to quitting you are either all in to the quitting process or your not. You can't have this or any other addiction both ways. So, don't lie or rationalize to yourself that it's even an option. It's hard work I get that because I am going through it myself. I quit 13 days ago after smoking for 37 years. So, if you really want this quit then you have to work for it and if you need help or support we will be there. It all starts with you. You have to want it for yourself .

• Like 3

You cannot 99% quit.  

Intellectually this is easy to understand.  Emotionally...its very difficult to come to grips with.  

The commitment needs to be total.  No breaks on the weekends.  No time off for good behavior.

You must be in it to win it.   Total immersion.   24 X 7

• Like 3

On 4/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, Doreensfree said:

Quitting is like doing the Hokey Cokey....

It's not over until you put your whole self in !!!!

You have to want this ....all of you ....otherwise ..you will keep on finding excuses to smoke ...

LOVE this Doreen! :) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AK47 said:

Ok 

Day 1 again

Tell me AK47, are you using our site just for a daily counter or are you using it for support?  It seems that you aren't even trying to stay quit. When I first quit I stayed glued to the forum, reading, posting, supporting, socializing, doing anything I could to help me get through those first tough days/weeks/months. I even posted for help several times and members came running to help me off the ledge. It was successful as you can see and I'd like that to be the same for you. 

If you truly want a daily counter, make yourself a ticker for your signature. That way you can see all the time, money and cigarettes not smoked add up and also see what you are losing by caving to a crave...……….https://www.quittrain.com/tickers/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Friend ....

You need to take this serious .....

You need to ask yourself one question ....do I truly want to quit ...

If you do ...you need to take your addiction which will kill you eventually ...more serious ...

If not ......why are you here ....

• Like 3

AK47, you need to pay attention to what these people here are trying to tell you. They have all been through the same thing you are going through. The difference is that they were fully committed to the quit. They put in the hard work and got the support they needed to percervere. So the question remains, are you 100% committed to giving up the smoking habit and live a healthier life for you. We will be here to support you the whole way if you are willing to really try. The choice is yours to make.

• Like 3

Im here for accountability 

It"s not shameful to relapse 

To fall 

& i should be supported for keeping showing here

If that a problem for any one 

I can quit posting 

If this isn"t the policy of the forum

I also finished the great book of allen 

The easy way to quit smoking 

Awfully imn"t touched 

I still in deep shit & pushing my willpower to the limit 

Very frustrating cuz i thought it"ll easy to kick it as a casual smoker

The problem is that it's not easy no matter how much you smoked. The addiction to nicotine is still there. It's hard work to get away from such an addicting substance. You are the only one who can decide if now is the right time to quit. We will always be here one way or the other to help support you when you decide that this addiction will not over power your life anymore. I know it's tough and it takes a lot of will power but we are all going through it. Whether its's the early stages like myself or years for some of the others without smoking. Stay strong and work at it because it is definitely worth the effort in the long run.

• Like 5

What Mac said is true AK! 

And no one is trying to shame you for a relapse. We are all here for one thing, to try and help you learn and understand about nicotine addiction and how manipulative it is. Your own mind is your worst enemy in the early days of your quit, whether you have smoked a little or a lot; doesn't matter.

You can keep posting here and I would recommend you do just that because there's a lot of good people and useful information here that is free and available for anyone to use. Yes, you will get some people kicking you in the pants sometimes to try and get a point made but so what? What is life long freedom worth to you. Freedom from addiction to nicotine. Stay with the process AK - remember and practice NOPE. That's the only road to freedom.

Glad you read Carr's book because there's a lot of great information there - food for thought for sure.

Stay with us and stick with your quit! It just could be a life saver!!

• Like 4

We are supporting you @AK47, if we weren't we wouldn't be posting to you now.

You have to understand that you are an addict and until you are ready to quit you will keep relapsing. That for me is what's hard to watch. Why on earth would you keep putting yourself through those first couple of weeks of quitting? For me it sucked so when I see someone continually do that to themselves I have to kick into my tough love stance...…...

Take what you can use and leave the rest...……….

• Like 4

Guys

Im in catastrophic situation cuz im a god damn DOCTOR

I know everything about it 

Every night i see myself in icu on a vent 

I"m in hell battle with my mind

It"s very complicated 

Sorry for losing temper

• Like 3

OK .... you're a Doctor. I'm sure that gives you a lot more insight than most would have as to the medical aspects of smoking and what that can do to one's health but you are first and foremost a human being subject to the same issues addiction to nicotine inflicts on all of us. Getting the drug (nicotine) out of your body only takes a few days. That's the easy part but it's the mental aspect of changing your life from a smoker's life to a nonsmoker's life that is the real battle. It takes time, patience, hard work, knowledge of your opponent and discipline to free yourself but it IS possible for anyone who wants it. Whether you're a doctor, priest, politician or homeless person, it doesn't matter. Addiction is addiction and anyone, including YOU can beat it and it's a lot easier to beat it with the support of others who have done just that. If you tell us more about the issues you are having perhaps we can help you with some insight from our own experiences. It's worth a shot I think.

• Like 3

AK....you have had great advice here ...

Mac is a newbie too....it's all about the attitude ...why is he succeeding and your not .????

I'll tell you ....

He is using the board the way it's intended....he shows up every day ,joins in ,helps others ,which in turn helps his quit too...that why alot of us with long quits stick around ...to help others understand it can be done ...

Sometimes smacking someone with a feather doesn't work ....if telling you the truth with straight talking, works for you ,then we have done the job we set out to do ..

Your a Doctor ....so you do know the dangers ....it's 11 months since I watched my hubby die of  Emphysema.

If took 20 years of watching him die very slowly ....

I don't normally come here and use him as a reason to quit ...I had my own health reasons ....

We can help you ...but You have to put the work in ...we carnt do that for you ...we can only show you the way .

Dust off....Take your seat here....and Quit for good .

It's complicated because your making it that way ...it's simple ....Never Take Another Puff..!!!!

• Like 3

How to fight my urges

Specially in my weakness times 

Now i can better handle stress

But still the prize one that comes after stressful day is the main problem 

I tried to take it easy "never take a puff" but i failed so badly 

Any other suggestions 

Could champix be a boost here??!! 

Day 2....

• Like 1

AK...

We have had successful quitters here use Champix.. Nicorette Gum .ect...

As long as you follow the guide lines ...they can help you through the quitting process....

Killing yourself after a hard day ...is not a Reward....

Find other ways to reward yourself , after a hard day ....

What about  saving all that money you are burning ....and treat yourself ....

You need to change your thinking ...Killing yourself yourself slowly is not  a 1st class Prize...

Your love ones watching you die slowly is not rewarding ....

We can only give you the tools ...you still have to put the work in ....

• Like 3

If I read your last post correctly you are struggling with that reward of a cigarette at the end of your working shift as it helps you relax after a stressful day? If that's the case, how about using an exercise routine after your shift to work off that stress? Even a long walk would work to get your juices flowing and keep your mind occupied. It's tough now with all the gyms closed but you can make you own exercise routine. Doesn't have to be fancy.

Quitting is hard for all of us. We have ALL had to make changes to our daily "normal" routine because that whole routine was filled with triggers to smoke. You gotta shake that routine up a little. Even just changing the timing of things you normally do will help. 

Keep at it AK! You can achieve it if you really want it. And thanks for the work you are doing these days!! I can't even imagine some of the stuff the medical community is going through these days. It's important work you're doing. Quitting is also important work. Important for YOU and your future!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, AK47 said:

I know everything about it 

Perhaps this is the problem. 

You think you know everything about your addiction and how to quit, but you're missing the main points.  Smoking is not a reward.  It does not relieve stress.  Just having one or two does not equal freedom.  You need to conquer EVERY craving that comes your way until the cravings fade away. Stop thinking there's a magic bullet that will completely erase your urges.  The only thing that will result in victory is you and your unwavering commitment to see this through. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AK47 said:

Ok 

Day 1 again

Addiction isn't always an easy fix.   Most of us have significant portions of our lives DEDICATED to being an addict. 

There are few things in my life I claim equal or greater dedication to.  Sad and true.                        

Whatever it takes.... keep quitting.  

sleep. cry. post on these boards. shower 20 times a day.  sit with the crave. breathe.  make mocking jokes of the crave.

I believe if you were to write a list of things you LOVE about smoking it would be brief and mostly filled with addiction junkie thinking lies.  Sadly. we can easily succumb to the junkie lies and give our power to the drug.  Slavery to nicotine.....days managed around the smoke, wages tithed religiously to make the manufacturer wealthy, time away from anything we hold dear that we keep away from the smoke,  all the resource power of managing the time and the scent and the social ramifications, the self loathing, the wondering if this is the one that kills me.....good times, right?

It is really a matter of claiming your power and choosing to keep it.  When coming from a conditioned long stint of giving our power away to a drug, it can seem weird to be accountable to the control of our own selves.      that is FREEDOM.    

enjoy your FREEDOM, AK.        use this space for support.

• Like 4

You're not a loser @AK47, you're just not ready to quit. Believe me when you are ready you will do anything to keep your quit. Please don't wait until you're chained to an oxygen hose, trust me, it's not fun...…….

• Like 2