Surprised it hasn't been harder

Kate18

It's possible that I'm not thinking about smoking every day. Just had a craving for a smoke a few minutes ago, and wasn't in any risk of lapsing, but it reminded me that I hadn't been on the forum for a few days. I guess that's how I know I haven't been thinking about smoking--I've been forgetting to post the daily pledge.

:)

The stressor this time was a tense scene while watching a movie. Triggers to smoke are fewer than I expected. I didn't expect to be at this comfort level with being a nonsmoker for many months.

• Like 13

The fear of quitting kept many of us smoking for years.

The reality of quitting made us wonder why we didn't do it sooner.

Congratulations Kate.  Enjoy your newfound freedom.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So glad to hear it's going well for you, Kate! It's nice when the triggers get fewer and farther in between. Just don't let them sneak up on you! Prepare yourself for sneak attacks. The Nicodemon is tricky. Just tell yourself that you wont light up *no matter what* and you're golden! :)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, abbynormal said:

Just don't let them sneak up on you! Prepare yourself for sneak attacks. 

I've been hit several times today like that, sneaking up when I wasn't expecting it. Another tense moment in a movie, and before that, while listening to my almost-90 year old mother on the phone. I used to pass the time smoking while I listened to her for 30-40 minutes at a time. Her hobby is complaining, and there is no sense in pointing out how many good things she has in her life. Always made me want to smoke.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kate18 said:

I've been hit several times today like that, sneaking up when I wasn't expecting it. Another tense moment in a movie, and before that, while listening to my almost-90 year old mother on the phone. I used to pass the time smoking while I listened to her for 30-40 minutes at a time. Her hobby is complaining, and there is no sense in pointing out how many good things she has in her life. Always made me want to smoke.

You are still young in your quit, Kate. 

Keep in mind that you may experience triggers coming seemingly out from nowhere when smoking is far from your mind, your consciousness.

Hold to NOPE.  Each trigger is a brain receptor that hasn't gotten the memo yet.  You Quit Smoking.

Some triggers are automatic responses, like listening to Mothers fret, lol.  Some, just old patterns that no longer serve us.

Don't worry, these receptors will all be reclaimed and habits are soon discouraged.  You are doing so great.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kate18 said:

Dealing with difficult people is a perfect opportunity to practice detachment.  It's something I've been working on a lot over the last couple of years.  Mentally step back from the situation when you feel any stress, anxiety, anger, chaos...take a little pause for the cause, and calmly evaluate your options.

You have no control over what they do.  You have complete control over how you respond.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Here are some resources, Kate

Does It Take 21 Days To Break The Smoking Habit

A line from this one is especially pertinent right now, "Experience, not time is what is going to determine how long it is before you break all of the different associations that you may have with cigarettes."

It's an answer to a question that puzzled me a few times when I realized how many triggers there have been in the past few days. Another trigger today while I was waiting out at my car at the veterinarian while the vet examined my small dog. (Turned out the bump I found on her shoulder was a cyst, harmless.) Because of the virus, no one is allowed in the vet clinic anymore, except employees. So I stood by my car in the sun, craving a smoke. It was another place where I smoked in the past, but hadn't come up again since I quit smoking until today. Guess I can chalk off that one for rewiring an experience to a nonsmoking event. 

:) 

• Like 3

You're really are doing fabulously, Kate!  I smoked almost everywhere and all the time, so just existing was a trigger for me in the beginning.  We get though them eventually and while there are often ghosts of triggers past that pop out from time to time, it is so much easier once we realize that these associations only have as much power as we allow them. 

• Like 2