Short Of Breath 40 days Into Quit

I quit4ever

I have been a lurker for awhile and this is my first post. I quite 41 days ago. I get this feeling of being out of breath and have to do some deep breathing to feel better. Even when I talk this happens. I am 99% sure I don't have corona, so lets bypass that please :). Can someone please share if this happened to them and if so how long it lasts after quitting or I need to be concerned? Its the one thing that makes me want to smoke...crazy as that sounds. Any help would be so appreciated.

• Like 3

Welcome  iwantone and congratulations on 41 days quit. I had shortness of breath, which ironically was the reason I quit to begin with, when I hit about the three week mark and it lasted a good three weeks or so before it started getting better. I also went to the Dr to make sure it wasn't something else so I recommend that if it's bad or particularly worrisome to call your dr. If nothing else they can reassure you that it's only your lungs cleaning themselves out. They may also prescribe something like a rescue inhaler to help.

• Like 3

ty for your response, congrats on your success. I am hoping everyone has a different quit effect. I feel worse as time goes by but with all this craziness going on it could be anxiety I suppose, but I read that this short fo breath can be part of the healing process, but I cant seem to pin point how ling that is normal for. Ty for responding. I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

Yes, everyone does have different quit effects and yes, there's a lot of anxiety with what's going on in the world. The best thing you can probably do is call your Dr and tell them you quit smoking and what you're experiencing. They know you and your history and can tell you if it's something you should go into the office for.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IwantOne said:

I have been a lurker for awhile and this is my first post. I quite 41 days ago. I get this feeling of being out of breath and have to do some deep breathing to feel better. Even when I talk this happens. I am 99% sure I don't have corona, so lets bypass that please :). Can someone please share if this happened to them and if so how long it lasts after quitting or I need to be concerned? Its the one thing that makes me want to smoke...crazy as that sounds. Any help would be so appreciated.

Welcome to our merry little band of quitters, I.

Congratulations on quitting smoking !

Here is a thread to help you navigate around QTrain

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

Deep breathing techniques are very useful to conquer craves and for general well-being. 

Being able to calm ourselves with controlled breath, can truly help us through these anxious times.

Here are some resources pertaining to your concerns.  I hope you find them helpful.

When You May Really Need To Talk To Your Doctor About Quitting Smoking

My Smoking Helps Me To Breathe Better

Is This A Symptom Of Quitting Smoking?

• Like 4

Hey @Iwantone Well done on your quit. It sounds a lot like anxiety - which given the times in which we live, is not surprising. If the deep breathing is working, then I think you’re all good. However, if get worse, give the medics a call. Quitting, I discovered meditation - and have been doing it ever since. I find it really helpful.

• Like 6

Hello and welcome ..... Congratulations on your great quit ....

I personally didn't suffer short breath ....just wanted to add ,any worries ,get it checked out ...it will ease your mind ....

Our bodies have been battered over the years is smoking ,it takes time to heal...

Glad your here ...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, IwantOne said:

Thanks for posting and congrats on 41 days!  This happens to a lot of people but in these times, a quick consult with a doctor is highly advisable.  That said, the fact deep breathing makes you feel better is a good sign.  Deep breathing techniques probably wouldn't do much if it was the virus.

When you're anxious, this is just what happens.  Remember, smoking DOES NOT CALM YOU DOWN.  Smoking will not help and in fact, make it worse.  Nicotine is a very powerful stimulant which raises your blood pressure and triggers adrenaline to start coursing through your body.

• Like 5

Hello iwantone,

Glad you're here.  Giant round of applause for your 41 days. 

My experience, so far,  has not included the breathlessness feelings you are having. 

Sounds like many folks have given useful information,  I'll just say again....welcome!  Glad you're reaching out with questions. Keep your quit. 

Amazing the things that make us think we want to smoke.  Breathlessness ...  smoking will never improve that situation....or any situation.

Deep breathing...what a gift.  Glad you are finding them calming and useful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ty for your responses, congrats to all of you on your success! I want to give you an update. I believe the issue I am having is due to GERD. I got some alkaline water, did some juiced celery, and took some tums. I am happy to report its subsiding. My kid is home , and we are hunkered down, so I have been doing a lot of sofa sitting and eating that I don't normally do! So I am breathing so much better today but ty ty ty so much for chiming in, its nice to have your support, I have learned so much from so many on here as a lurker!! 42 days!!!!

• Like 2

hello 4ever quit.   I lurked for 10 months into my quit !  I love lurkers.

You have a great quit started, I am sure your child is really happy about this, as you are.  Hang in there and hold fast to your commitment to yourself, to NOPE.

The journey you are on will shower you with rewards.  Many are subtle, some are colossal.  Don't forget to have fun and experience as much joy as you can muster,

you quit smoking !

15 hours ago, I quit4ever said:

ty for your responses, congrats to all of you on your success! I want to give you an update. I believe the issue I am having is due to GERD. I got some alkaline water, did some juiced celery, and took some tums. I am happy to report its subsiding. My kid is home , and we are hunkered down, so I have been doing a lot of sofa sitting and eating that I don't normally do! So I am breathing so much better today but ty ty ty so much for chiming in, its nice to have your support, I have learned so much from so many on here as a lurker!! 42 days!!!!

Life Goes On Without Smoking 

• Like 2