Working Out at Home

Boo

You're quarantined.  The gym is closed.  What to do?  Time to improvise and adapt.  You have a wide array of exercise options that require no equipment and can be done anywhere.  When you consider the different variations and progressions that can be done with these exercises, your options increase exponentially.

There's a ton of information online concerning home workouts.  I'll just include one article, one video, and one book suggestion.

The article I'm linking to is: "The 42 best Bodyweight Exercises: The Ultimate Guide for Working Out Anywhere!"  I chose this article because it not only provides numerous options for bodyweight workouts, but includes progressions for beginner to intermediate to advanced.  Figure out where you are and get to work on getting better.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-42-best-bodyweight-exercises-the-ultimate-guide-for-working-out-anywhere/   

Speaking of progressions in bodyweight training, I suggest the book "Convict Conditioning" by Paul Wade.  I'm not a fan of the whole convict shtick.  Put off checking this book out because I thought it was some silly gimmick.  Marketing gimmicks aside, this is a great book for those looking to get stronger without investing in a gym membership or home gym equipment.  The six exercises recommended and the progressions from beginner to expert are outlined in detail.  With time and a lot of sweat you can go from a couch potato to someone who's able to do pistol squats and one-armed pull-ups.

And finally, the video.  Not a lot of detail here, but gives you a good idea of how many options you have to get moving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watch "Quarantined Home??  20 minute exercise routine for seniors and beginners" on YouTube

Sorry carnt copy on this tablet ....

This is what I've been doing at home ..I think it's great ....

And some Qi Gong.....also in You Tube !!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been doing these at home for the past 6 days .

warm up
pushups
squats
crunches

and nothing else ,

That too after a 4 month gap from gym .

Somehow managed to do

warm up
60 pushups
20 squats
60 crunches

after all those gaps .

• Like 4

It works every muscle in your body.  It is a great cardiovascular workout.  It can be done with little to no equipment.  It works as a great stress reliever.  It is an intense workout.  It is a good bit of fun.  It is boxing.

I've been mixing things up on the days when I'm not doing strength work, focusing more on cardio and conditioning.  Recently started doing some boxing work again and I'm loving it.

There is a wealth of information online and several good instructors with videos on YouTube: Jason Van Veldhuysen, Shane Fazen, Nate Bower, Fran Sands...just to name a few.

• Like 1

If not for the ability to workout at home, I would be a miserable pain in the ass right now.  We had two straight days of perfect weather here in Tennessee on Friday and Saturday but opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors are severely limited right now.  The state parks are all closed meaning I couldn't go to Laurel Snow for a run or Foster Falls for a bit of climbing.  

I've tried to be patient through this ordeal, but I started to feel a bit stir crazy yesterday.  Getting in a couple of good workouts (boxing in the morning and lifting in the evening) helped me sort things out and work through some irritability.

Do yourself a favor and try to get some physical activity each and every day.

• Like 1