Interactive COVID-19 map from Johns Hopkins

Sazerac

• 1 month later...

I found this map early on, must have been soon after it was first published. There wasn't even a red dot on the USA map.  I knew what would happen, though--was pretty sure that it would spread across the country. That's what got me to quit smoking and is keeping me nicotine-free. I quit on Feb 21st. If my memory is accurate, the following week the first red dot appeared on the USA map, just 18 miles north of where I live and work. It was surreal to see the first event in the US marked so close to home.

I used to work in an infectious disease clinic in a prominent medical center (I coordinated continuing medical education programs), and a looming pandemic was a frequent topic of conversation. I attended a presentation about it and saw the mapped model of how contagion would spread across the globe. It was just like what I've watched on the Johns Hopkins map over the past few months.  Eerie.

There were many more deaths projected by the lecturer than what we've had so far, but his projections didn't factor in the social distancing, masks, economic shutdown, etc, that have been implemented. And, of course, the pandemic has really just begun to build up steam. Based on what I saw presented, and recognizing that countries have to reopen economically, until we get a vaccine and most people are vaccinated, I think that there will be many millions of deaths worldwide. Here in the States, I am expecting several hundred thousand deaths before widespread vaccination can be achieved.

Given my age, smoking history, and constant risk of exposure from my job as a grocery store cashier, I'll probably get it and am at med-high risk of death. Definitely not going to start smoking again!

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Kate18 said:

I found this map early on, must have been soon after it was first published. There wasn't even a red dot on the USA map.  I knew what would happen, though--was pretty sure that it would spread across the country. That's what got me to quit smoking and is keeping me nicotine-free. I quit on Feb 21st. If my memory is accurate, the following week the first red dot appeared on the USA map, just 18 miles north of where I live and work. It was surreal to see the first event in the US marked so close to home.

I used to work in an infectious disease clinic in a prominent medical center (I coordinated continuing medical education programs), and a looming pandemic was a frequent topic of conversation. I attended a presentation about it and saw the mapped model of how contagion would spread across the globe. It was just like what I've watched on the Johns Hopkins map over the past few months.  Eerie.

There were many more deaths projected by the lecturer than what we've had so far, but his projections didn't factor in the social distancing, masks, economic shutdown, etc, that have been implemented. And, of course, the pandemic has really just begun to build up steam. Based on what I saw presented, and recognizing that countries have to reopen economically, until we get a vaccine and most people are vaccinated, I think that there will be many millions of deaths worldwide. Here in the States, I am expecting several hundred thousand deaths before widespread vaccination can be achieved.

Given my age, smoking history, and constant risk of exposure from my job as a grocery store cashier, I'll probably get it and am at med-high risk of death. Definitely not going to start smoking again!

Great post, Kate.

You are certainly on the front lines as a grocery clerk not only with the virus but with the level of idiocy feeding the general public, y'all are treated horribly.

I am always, always respectful and kind and cheerful to the people that make life possible, try to be that way to everybody.  These are trying times and I know all are under a lot of stress,  time to show some extra love for our fellow humans!  

So glad you quit smoking, Kate.  Don't borrow trouble thinking your going to be infected.  Follow stringent protocol, it's all we can do.

and be kind to yourself.

• Like 4