New quit date

Irene

Yep, I failed once again....just as well full lockdown starts Friday as I will need more time to re visit some 

threads and videos that obviously were not fully absorbed. What I do remember having being said, was that 

smoking was used as a crutch to avoid having to feel or having to deal with any emotional turmoil, or something to that effect.

It's easier for me to grab a smoke than having to deal with the sadness I have been feeling about what is going on in the world right now.

The irony is that now I am even more sad and disappointed about lighting up again, and knowing full well that it hasn't helped a damn!

Perhaps I should have a good bawl, and try and see the positive as well....the planet is getting a well deserved break from the pollution that

gets spewed out daily, and the animals get to roam freely without being hunted and poached by humans.

All the encouragement and advice I received here has not been for naught....I will try again....Friday will be my new quit date, and hopefully with a

more positive frame of mind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I am sorry to hear this, Irene.

56 minutes ago, Irene said:

The irony is that now I am even more sad and disappointed about lighting up again, and knowing full well that it hasn't helped a damn!

Yep, relapses make things a lot worse.  Smoking helps nothing.  I'm glad you are starting a quit again (and I would suggest sooner than Friday) but remember how this feels.  Relapses are not something you want to go through again.  Use these feelings to encourage you to quit and stay quit for good.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Irene,

Glad you're planning on getting on the train.

I left  6ish years ago and only just made it back 14 days ago.

REALLY hope to see you. Pretty sure it is safe to  acknowledge all the emotions here... many are rolling around and you are not alone in them.

Please don't shy away from the feelings you're having about smoking.

..  once I relapsed, it was like Oh-well, I made my choices.  

I only posted here once after the relapse and it was very painful to read what folks had written me and I chose to walk away from....until I found my back.

Remembering reading something that MQ shared ... statistically about the likelihood of people trying quit again once they had relapsed.   it's not good.   Grateful I'm on the train now.

Can almost hear the nicotine  junkie in your head ... have enough smokes to get to Friday, I'll quit then.   The nicotine junkie is a liar.  

Irene...come sit by us on the train.  holding us all in love and light in these weird scary times.  it is the only way I can hold people right now, so I will.  OIP.kF_kBQvyUpg84T6S7g29swHaFZ?w=243&h=1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Awww Irene ....

I am very sad to read this .....very very sad ....I had high hopes .....

All the years I've been here ..I've yet to see a happy relapser.....

Ok that said .....

Brush yourself down ....time to start a nice fresh Quit ....why wait till Friday ...all you will do is put more poison in your body you have to get rid of....

Put it behind you ....move on ....

Your seat is still warm .....❤

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to read you relapsed Irene. You have to really be ready to quit in order to succeed. When I first quit it took me three weeks to sign up to my first forum and then I was glued to it as much as I could. I found that reading, posting, supporting fellow quitters and even socializing helped me stay focused on my quit and gave me a sense of camaraderie with my fellow quitters so much so that I didn't want to let them down by relapsing. I also posted for extra help when I was having a hard crave and members came running to help me past it.

We want to do that for you too.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am really sorry to hear of your relapse.

What went wrong ?  Why did you abandon your commitment to NOPE ?

This is a really idiotic time to continue smoking.

Have you seen what COVID-19 does to the lungs ?

The anxiety over Friday is going to give the addict's voice plenty of time to lead you, once again,  astray

and more time for more damage your lungs..

I hope you quit asap.  You will never regret it.

Setting Quit Dates

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well Irene, today is a new day.  Never give up quitting.  Stay close to the forum and reach out before you smoke.  There is a wonderful caring group here and we want to help you succeed!

You can do this!

• Like 4

Hi again...I had written the above and decided to get some sleep 😊now its after midnight and having read all your comments, I'm feeling worse lol

Sazerac, I started to feel overwhelmed about what was happening around me, which is no reason to quit....millions around the world are feeling the same emotions,

and are in a much worse situation....I have plenty of support from my sister ( she quit 5 yrs ago ) and from the non smokers at work, who were gutted to see

me smoke today. This is the second time I have now let them down, including myself.....the smokers were quite happy to have me back in their fold again. 

Your support means a lot and I thank you for that, so I have one more task to do, before I get some sleep, and that is to get out of bed and throw the cigs away.

I will be on the train first thing tomorrow morning.

Night all and once again, thanks for your support

• Like 8

Don't believe the lies of addiction, addiction is part of what is stressing you out.

You will be fine.  Get some rest.  Tomorrow, a free woman.  

We'll be here.

Change the things you can change and reveal your power.

See ya tomorrow.

S

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Irene said:

Hi again...I had written the above and decided to get some sleep 😊now its after midnight and having read all your comments, I'm feeling worse lol

Sazerac, I started to feel overwhelmed about what was happening around me, which is no reason to quit....millions around the world are feeling the same emotions,

and are in a much worse situation....I have plenty of support from my sister ( she quit 5 yrs ago ) and from the non smokers at work, who were gutted to see

me smoke today. This is the second time I have now let them down, including myself.....the smokers were quite happy to have me back in their fold again. 

Your support means a lot and I thank you for that, so I have one more task to do, before I get some sleep, and that is to get out of bed and throw the cigs away.

I will be on the train first thing tomorrow morning.

Night all and once again, thanks for your support

Yay, you're on your way again now.  Get some sleep and start fresh tomorrow.  You can do this, and you will.

• Like 5

Thinking about you, Irene and reading over the start of this post.  Maybe these resources will help you.

17 hours ago, Irene said:

smoking was used as a crutch to avoid having to feel or having to deal with any emotional turmoil,

How Would You Deal With The Following Situations

17 hours ago, Irene said:

Smoking Does Not Help You Overcome Stress

• Like 1

Right...come clean time...I did get back up last night and destroy the cigs...woke up this morning, had my coffee (never did enjoy the morning cig) and went to 

work(last day) and then found an open pack of cigs on my desk. Made another coffee and yes, I had a smoke.....I hope you all are not thinking, "lost cause", because I know I'm not.

I am home now, smokes were destroyed at work. Tomorrow will have to be my start date as I already had a cig today.

The virus has taken my freedom away for 3 weeks, but I know that I will get it back in another way...no more smoking!.

Tonight I will start to view the clips that Sazerac had so kindly put up, and revisit others....as well as threads that were bumped. 

I know that I can do this...I honestly thought that I had it beat, and I will beat it this time...there is absolutely nothing I can do about the virus and all the other shit happening around the world, but I can and will win the nicotine war that I'm experiencing, starting with a daily NOPE and not just for the day, but just NOPE, and loads of reading and watching clips tomorrow.

I know that I still have the support here...at work and with the family, and this time I wont disappoint.......thanks 😊

• Like 3

Hey @Irene, first we don't consider you a lost cause! Second, your quit starts the minute you put out that last cigarette. That means your quit day is today 😊 

Stay close, post often, especially when you need some extra support and we will help support you as much as we can 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• I found a pack in my desk
  • I'm stressed about coronavirus

image.png.68651af3556f5fc3d3342611f0f5af2d.png

Only when you ditch the excuses and hold yourself 100% accountable will you be successful.  The good news is you CAN do it Irene.  Look at all the knuckleheads here who did.

• Like 9

You CAN do Irene ....

Make that decision to never smoke again .... EVER......

Even if your arse is on fire ...... Take Smoking Off The Table ....

My junkie brain understood these slogans ....I calmed down once I knew I couldn't smoke so except it ...

Looking forward to you getting yourself to Freedom x

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Irene said:

I hope you all are not thinking, "lost cause", because I know I'm not.

Not a lost cause, just a work in progress.

You destroyed the smokes now you need to work on destroying the myths and lies of smoking.  The only problem solved by smoking a cigarette is the same problem that was created by smoking a cigarette.  Break the cycle, set yourself free.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 8

@Irene,

I hope you will stop obeying addiction and start on your quit smoking journey. 

It is a joyous journey of self-awareness and you will profit from the self-confidence and a profound trust in yourself when you stop poisoning yourself.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Irene said:

Thanks so much all...first day done.

Keep up the great work, Irene.  Never take another puff and you will not have to go through these first days again.

Good job!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good job Irene and if you're looking for more motivation consider putting a ticker in your signature. It'll show you how much money, time and cigarettes not smoked since you quit. I loved watching mine everyday my first year, and it also showed me how much I had to lose if I caved to a crave!  :)

• Like 3

Yay Day 2, keep busy and the days go  fast.  We are all worried about the virus, but by staying smoke free our lungs have a better chance of coping. As it's a respiratory virus, smoking will only make things much worse.

Stay determined , Stay free .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1