Why is everyone only recommending cold turkey method here ?

Sunshine59

On 3/25/2020 at 1:37 PM, Sunshine59 said:

For me chewing 1 or 2 gums is not about addiction anymore , its something i do to kill the boredom .

Wow, there really must be something awesome in that gum,  killing your boredom and all! 

Oh. Wait... what?

• Like 2

Here we go again 🥰

Every quit is an awesome quit!

Lots of quit police here who are stuck on cold turkey as the best way to quit. I agree that it is....cuz it's free and effective and FAST!

If you can quit on NRT and stay quit, then excellent for you!

Most people here are sold on cold turkey cuz it worked for them, and they had no lasting success with NRT, I think. So, not a lot of NRT experts here, I believe, for that reason.  

All quitters are winners!!

• Like 4

What isn't recognised on this forum and elsewhere is that, if you choose to use NRT then a second quit date is needed one to actually stop smoking, and another one to actually stop using NRT. this means those who use NRT eventually do quit "Cold Turkey". So what's the beef? its how we present our knowledge or information, to one who has used NRT so as not to push them away. 

This discussion is good in so far that it brings to light any misinformation but it should not be a platform for stating one method is not worthy, more than another. Can you remember how ashamed and guilty you all felt when new laws were brought in regarding smoking in public, you were made to feel like a criminal when in fact you weren't or I wasn't. Can you remember the signs that said Thankyou for not smoking or a Circle with a line through informing you of the law in that area, these were short and sweet, not rapid and repeated information pushed onto someone.

I might suggest,  to help another who uses NRT you need simply state another Quit date is needed which is "Cold Turkey". All methods used to quit smoking bring about the desired result, how and when we choose to use these belong to ourselves. There is too much aggression at times, in the delivery here that I can see. 

• Like 2

This is a quit smoking forum so for me your quit date is the day you put out your last cigarette regardless of whether you used NRT's or not. Even when you make one of our tickers you'll see the time since your last cigarette. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, forestgreen said:

Can you remember how ashamed and guilty you all felt when new laws were brought in regarding smoking in public, you were made to feel like a criminal when in fact you weren't or I wasn't. Can you remember the signs that said Thankyou for not smoking or a Circle with a line through informing you of the law in that area, these were short and sweet, not rapid and repeated information pushed onto someone.

I never felt guilty or ashamed about smoking.  Far from it.  I was PROUD to be smoking and belligerent about it.

Never gave a hoot about what others thought, ever,  only annoyed at not being able to smoke where and when I wanted to.

I was an obedient slave to nicotine and would spout that rhetoric until the cows came home. 

Sure, I had a right to kill myself but, was in denial of the deadly effects of Second Hand, Third Hand smoke.

Suddenly, after more than 40 years of smoking, I quit on a whim.  A personal challenge to myself.  It was then that the truth hit me.

I am with @jillar , you quit smoking the minute you had your last puff.

Personally, I am super jubilant when nicotine leaves bodies because then the true healing begins

and your chances of maintaining a successful quit increase a hundred fold. 

The longer you feed nicotine addiction by abusing or misusing NRTs, the greater your risk of relapse.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, forestgreen said:

What a pity for some reason the reply I gave, was not able to be submitted.  Perhaps you do not want to hear what I have to say in response. 

Maybe you should try to post again. There isn't any locks on this thread so you should be able to post no problem

• Like 4

Where ever there is a group of people ..there will always be a different of opinions ....

And can keep going around in circles for ever ....

This is your quit .!!!!.... nobody else's....it doesn't matter how you arrive at that place called Freedom ...

Just get your backside there ...

This Train is just a way of supporting you along your journey ....

Many here have gone cold turkey ...I'm one of them ...the only reason is because all the other ways and means didn't work for me ,after thousands of attempted quits over 52 years ...I was still smoking ...and my health was suffering ..

When I heard Take Smoking Off The Table...Never Take Another Puff ....this seemed to click in my junkie brain ,and I knew what I had to do ...for me it worked ...

If any  other ways works for you ...Brilliant ....

11 hours ago, forestgreen said:

What a pity for some reason the reply I gave, was not able to be submitted.  Perhaps you do not want to hear what I have to say in response. 

This thread is not locked ,your reply should have been able to read ,maybe try again ...

• Like 1

Since I was smoking and chewing the gum between smokes, I actually had to quit the nicotine gum first. 6 months later I quit smoking. Haha! Dern was I ever hooked on that gum...blowing bubbles. Popping it...all the while getting that nicotine hit.

Edited by Angeleek
  • Like 3

Because cold turkey does not require a consult with a doctor (which you really should do with any NRT) or a prescription to obtain (i.e. Chantix).   So any non-medical person can safely recommend it.   And also as someone else said, it’s free and you can begin immediately or whenever you’re ready.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1