Why is everyone only recommending cold turkey method here ?

Sunshine59

Oh...think I need to add...only because it wasn't clear in earlier posts...my own personal insecurities are the reason I feel my quit is inferior to the cold turkey quitters more than anything else, it's a pretty messy place between my ears...everyone here has been supportive and helped drag my arse over the line of success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

Oh...think I need to add...only because it wasn't clear in earlier posts...my own personal insecurities are the reason I feel my quit is inferior to the cold turkey quitters more than anything else, it's a pretty messy place between my ears...everyone here has been supportive and helped drag my arse over the line of success.

Oh Jo, it does not matter how you quit.  I did not need NRT but I needed, you Jo!  You helped drag my ass over that line.  I am forever grateful for the love and support I received.  Thanks for being there Jo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

OK , maybe i the one who is ignorant this time and i might be over doing it even though i am only eating 2 gums a day which i find it hard to get rid off completely .

I also admit my mistake of bringing up the subject of NRT gums .

For some weird reason chewing a gum or 2 have become a habit of mine and i will cut that only bad habit of mine soon too .

Our country is going through a 21 day lock down and even the medical shops are closed from yesterday .

That makes it hard for me to get the gums .

I will try to chew wrigley's gum instead .

Sorry for the trouble

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Sunshine59 said:

For some weird reason chewing a gum or 2 have become a habit of mine and i will cut that only bad habit of mine soon too .

There's no weird reason sunshine it's simply that you're addicted to nicotine still. If it was a habit then any gum would do right? 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

The Train is proud and loves our Jo....

Your quit is just as beautiful as everyone else's.....❤👍👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Doreensfree

I like the fluffy approach , that itself makes me comfortable in posting the stuff that comes to my mind .

Internet is all about expressing oneself in my humble opinion

@BAT

Thanks , i am so depended on the work out thread here

:)

• Like 4

I am glad you didn't obey addiction and flounce off, S, I am glad your thinking brain kicked in.

Sometimes the truth is not 'fluffy'.  That can't be helped.

Keep us abreast of your progress quitting nicotine.  This may help others out there who are addicted to the gum.

We know, quitting nicotine is a big deal and will support you as best we can in our own individual ways.

• Like 5

@Sazerac

No big issues here , Like REZ said , i think all the covid news was making me a bit mental

I am never ever touching a cigarette no matter what happens , i don't even like cigarettes

But i like something to chew , but i will find something else to chew

Yup

Anyway if you all are comfortable with cold turkey method , go the cold turkey way

For me this 6 months plus quit is my 5th or 6th attempt

Good luck all

Edited by Sunshine59
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Jo, it has never even vaguely occurred to me that one person's quit was inferior or superior to another's because of the method used to reach the same goal of stopping smoking and being completely nicotine-free by the end.  Some might appear to be smoother or rockier, but not better or worse. So clean up that space between your ears to make room for some uncluttered pride in your beautiful quit (with extra points for your entertaining stories along the way). 

Edited by Jordan7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Jordan7 said:

Jo, it has never even vaguely occurred to me that one person's quit was inferior or superior to another's because of the method used to reach the same goal of stopping smoking and being completely nicotine-free by the end.  Some might appear to be smoother or rockier, but not better or worse. So clean up that space between your ears to make room for some uncluttered pride in your beautiful quit (with extra points for your entertaining stories along the way). 

THIS ^^^^^^^^

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

Sorry for the trouble

I dont think you should be apologising ,as I have found this thread quite interesting.

All these different opinions and every one has made a good point...I for one am happy you started this

thread. Its brought up some interesting g arguments and everyone valid in it's way...thanks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

G’day

I did the champix bit. I got to 8!weeks and discovered I had this quit. And how sweet It was. Couldn’t care less how I got there, but I did.

And I was keeping it. No way was I handing this one back.

So I manned up and admitted in my heart that I was an addict and no way was I ever going to have another puff.

Not One Puff EVER!  

41/2 years later, still making my pledge......

• Like 10

23 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I appreciate you writing this Jo.

I've been here for four years now and I have not seen any of these purity tests that are discussed from time-to-time.  Not once.

I've never seen anyone's quit discredited based on the use of any of the "step-down" methods available.  Not once.

To remind people that they are continuing to feed their nicotine addiction by administering nicotine is not zealotry, it is the statement of a basic truth.

When I was a shaky-kneed newbie just starting the process, what I wanted to hear and what I needed to hear were often quite different.  I am eternally grateful to those who told me what I needed to hear regardless of whether or not I was ready to listen.

The truth will set you free, but it may kick you in the ass first.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

^^this!^^ 

I also remember I was super sensitive the first year and some of the people I didn't care for my first few months quit ended up being some of my favorite friends as my senses started leveling out 😊

• Like 9

I don't think there is any wrong or right way to quit, as long as your understanding of Nicotine is in place. Too many frying pans is not necessarily the right way to advise people. Support goes much further in the long run eventually you will gain the freedom of no nicotine. Be at peace with your decision, until you are ready to understand more. 

• Like 1

We have all sorts of love here.  Tough love, cuddly love and everything in-between.  This is the beauty of the QTrain. 

Support comes in many guises and it is only an individual's preference.

People can take what they need and leave the rest.  We all want the best for eachother and communicate that in our own honest and individual way.

This is serious business, where a cuddly feel good vibe may not be effective when it comes to facing a ferocious and deadly addiction.

Here is where the truth is essential and the truth is neither cuddly or tough.  Truth has no opinion.  It is just Truth.

The groovy stuff happens in terms of support and recovery but, FIRST, Nicotine Addiction must be addressed without frills.

I am curious to hear how @Sunshine59 is doing, after putting aside a long term addiction to nicotine gum.

I wonder what he is experiencing and hope he shares this with us so, we can learn and other's may be inspired.

• Like 5

@Sazerac ,

Its not that easy staying away from gums , it has a lot of side effects too .

Kind of feeling dull without it , feels like i lost a lot of energy .

I am drinking tea two times a day with sugar in it even though i have diabetes @106 reading .

Drinking tea elevates my mood same way a gum has been doing .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, forestgreen said:

I don't think there is any wrong or right way to quit, as long as your understanding of Nicotine is in place. Too many frying pans is not necessarily the right way to advise people. Support goes much further in the long run eventually you will gain the freedom of no nicotine. Be at peace with your decision, until you are ready to understand more. 

Every quit is different ....every person is different ....a few months short of 7 years has shown me just how much 

I can't count how many people have welcomed the frying pan ...and have actually saved thier quit ...

And have been very grateful.....

These are the quitters who need more than a slap with a feather ....

I don't really get on a plane and travel all over the world waving a heavy frying pan !!!!

It's just another way of getting the message across.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

@Sazerac ,

I am drinking tea two times a day with sugar in it even though i have diabetes @106 reading .

The side effects from staying away from the gum ...is the the same as staying away from cigerettes.

Withdrawal from nicotine ....

It will take time to get it out of your system ....and one would expect a bout of  feeling uncomfortable....

Chewing regular gum with a strong flavour ...after a few days you will get used to a different taste ..

It's more safer than putting alot of sugar in to your system with diabetes.....

We can only try and help you Sunshine ....the work has to come from you ....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

@Sazerac ,

You are facing your nicotine addiction.  Congratulations !

It isn't always easy, but this is nothing beyond your capability or your control.

The side effects are normal and short term.  You can power through this challenge, S.

You needn't poison yourself with sugar while you deal with the poison of nicotine.

Try deep breaths, exercise. Water with a lemon or slice of ginger etc.

If you are drinking black tea, be mindful of

Possible Changes In Caffeine Tolerance

I don't know if you have quit the NRT Gum completely or are still using

Prolonging Nicotine Withdrawal

Your 'dullness' will abate.  You are freeing yourself of addiction.  Be kind to yourself.

• Like 3