Second Hand Smoke From Neighboring Apartment

Angeleek

Hi all!

I fear I'm becoming one of THOSE ex-smokers. My neighbor is home all day and smokes inside. We live in 4-row apartments that are 50s era. I can't believe smoke would come through any outlets or the walls, and yet I know some second hand smoke is getting inside my place even when all my windows are closed.

I can sense the very faint odor of second hand smoke even though I'm not "trying" to smell any. Worse than the very faint smell, I can feel a sting in my eye. This is how it was growing up in a smoker's house, just not as pronounced as it was back then.  Am I crazy? Are these withdrawals?  Can smoke go through sheetrock?

I bought an air purifier cuz I am sick of it...especially now while working at home. Will unpack it tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Hiya @Angeleek, good to see you.

Thirdhand smoke !  and Secondhand smoke.  Both dangerous.

My neighbors smoke on their stoop.  All The Time.  I can't have my windows open at the front.

It is horrible. I yell, cigarettes KILL and close my windows.

I am 'one of those' former smokers and I don't care !  It's POISON ffs !  

Good on you for getting an air purifier. 

Can Second Hand Smoke Cause Relapse ?

• Like 1

Since your apartment was built in the 50's there's probably lots of ways it's getting in. You're just now smelling it because your sense of smell is coming back. All the odors I started smelling was one of the first things I noticed when I was newly quit. I'm sure the air purifier will help a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha! We just don't know how bad it is until the insanity stops. My neighbor smokes almost exclusively inside and hardly airs her place out. There must be an opening somewhere allowing smoke to waft through to my place.

Everything is so quiet during this lockdown. Once we are all back to work we will remember just how bad the air and noise pollution have become. Just like quitting smoking and remembering how awful the second hand smoke is. Good for you for speaking your mind, Sazerac!

• Like 1

Yes Jillar I agree. There must be numerous leaks where smoke can get through. What a pain....all that trouble to quit only to realize you're afflicted by the neighbor's smoke too!

Edited by Angeleek
  • Like 1