Quit by default (due lockdown)

wow, so near 10 days up. i just came back here to post a quick update.

today i experienced light bouts of cough and this lasted for quite a while. (few hours i reckon) my throat feels kind of really sorey sorey today. 

craves - none that i can recall (am i a freak? i am supposed to feel the craves - right?)

just thought i should log this down.  - - . 

• Like 3

Not feeling craves doesn't make you a freak helmethermit, it makes you one of the lucky ones! I wish I had of had it as easy as you when I first quit. 

Please take care of yourself and if you develop a fever with your cough and sore throat please call your Dr! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, helmethermit said:

wow, so near 10 days up. i just came back here to post a quick update.

today i experienced light bouts of cough and this lasted for quite a while. (few hours i reckon) my throat feels kind of really sorey sorey today. 

craves - none that i can recall (am i a freak? i am supposed to feel the craves - right?)

just thought i should log this down.  - - . 

Well you may be a freak, H,  but not about the absence of craves.  lol.

Just understand addiction and hold fast to NOPE in the event a crave or a trigger.  

Don't get cocky about your experience in this nice, easy quit, thinking you could smoke again and have another quit just as easy as this one.

Every Quit Is Different

Please keep an eye on your health.  Like Jillar says, consult a Doctor if you develop a fever.

After Quitting Smoking, Is There Such A Thing As The Quitter's Flu ?

Hope you feel better.  Love your contributions here, you are really making a difference.  Thank you.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jillar said:

Not feeling craves doesn't make you a freak helmethermit, it makes you one of the lucky ones! I wish I had of had it as easy as you when I first quit. 

Please take care of yourself and if you develop a fever with your cough and sore throat please call your Dr! 

thanks jillar, 

no - it is not that bad really. just a light-ish cough that has nearly subsided now. (lasted for a few hours) the throat does still feel a bit sore but not too bad. i feel kind of scratchy-scratchy in the throat on the inside, lol. like it makes me want to cough but want to giggle too. weird feeling really. a light and soft hint of throat pain but no real discomfort as such. some warm water and honey should take care of that.- will sip on the same after i type this post. 

if anyone told me that could quit an hour before i actually did i would be like - impossible. must stay away from this psycho. he or she is mad and has lost his/her mind. talking pure nonsense, lol.

i was the chimney, chain smoker, steam engine - whatever - i was the lowest form of smoker there normally is. you know the type who falls off a bike and the leg is bleeding but i reach out for a stick. lol, gloriously pathetic in my servitude to my addiction.

in fact the last day before i accidentally quit i had some 25 sticks at least i suspect. i had no intention of quitting ever. then - out of the blue i just decided at 1745 hrs to quit and boom - at 1800 hrs i turned into a non-smoker. haphazard i know but i have no complains, lol

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, helmethermit said:

Just roll with it.  There's no point in making straight lines crooked.

Enjoy the smooth sailing.  Know what to do if the seas get rough.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Well you may be a freak, H,  but not about the absence of craves.  lol.

Just understand addiction and hold fast to NOPE in the event a crave or a trigger.  

Don't get cocky about your experience in this nice, easy quit, thinking you could smoke again and have another quit just as easy as this one.

Every Quit Is Different

Please keep an eye on your health.  Like Jillar says, consult a Doctor if you develop a fever.

After Quitting Smoking, Is There Such A Thing As The Quitter's Flu ?

Hope you feel better.  Love your contributions here, you are really making a difference.  Thank you.

true - NOPE is NOPE. ever = forever and a day.

i do not detest the old me who 'enjoyed' the addiction but i have no intention of walking down that road - ever. 

ok, i must stop mentioning the fact that i do not feel the craves - i am coming across as cocky as i infer now. so hereon there will not be any mention of craves. 

another quit - no, never. if i cannot do it now i will not ever, never. this is my only chance and if i fail i am done forever. i am very extreme in my life, always have been. 

i know myself well and my weakness is extreme too - if i do fail this quit and if i ever walk the other way i will never look back on the idea of a second quit - ever. that is just me - i give it my all and if that is not enough i just never try that again - ever. there are no second chances at sea - nor in my mind. 

but i also know that i will never sail down the river again. i am nearly at the mouth of the river where the river merges with the mighty and majestic ocean. i may be wrong but freedom from addiction is a bigger addiction as compared to slavery to the smokey doodle.  

as a feel good factor to my smoke free self i am posting a smallbut wondrous memory - this is how beautiful a sunrise looks like somewhere in the lap of the south atlantic ocean. 

1399451_678568065507979_1897639180_o.thumb.jpg.edf0c07aadff44efd821377341b17da7.jpg

• Like 7

Keep your guard up, @helmethermit but if things are going smoothly in your quit then enjoy it.  Some people actually don't struggle that much in their quit (it is a small number but I have heard of people like this.)

Don't underestimate nicotine addiction and adhere to never taking another puff.  Other than that, if it is smooth sailing then that is awesome.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Irene said:

Lucky freak 😊 seriously I'm envious of your quit....dont ever throw it away

thank you - the quit is long dead and buried and no - resurrection is a lie.

so it is an impossible scenario now. not realistically possible.

it would have been possible prior 24 hrs into my quit - once that passed - it became impossible. 

your quit is done,dusted and buried too - so hello, non-smoker. glad to have you on the quit-train. if you do not believe me - stare into the mirror - a non-smoker will stare back at you. magic, right. funny what a little dose of self-belief and truck loads of stubbornness can do. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Boo said:

Just roll with it.  There's no point in making straight lines crooked.

Enjoy the smooth sailing.  Know what to do if the seas get rough.

well and truly said. 

thanks to you i have the stage 2 plan of action (stage 1 was - just to quit) ready for implementation too. in a day or two it shall get underway accordingly. i loved your concept of heal by de-fault and heal by intent. really beautiful. your idea - quit and exercise. you have me all pumped up with your great liberation concept really. hats off to a great guy. it is an honor - sir, to have made your acquaintance i swear that truly in all my humility. thank you so much for everything. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

No @helmethermit, you were not coming across as cocky at all. 

It is just that the voice of the addict may get cocky about your easy quit and smoke and think all quits are easy. 

Enjoy your freedom !  

Beautiful sky and ship and sea.  Beautiful.

i am really sorry sazerac. i sometimes forget that i am not the only chicken here. you have so many of us here that you take such good care of.. you know i picture the beautiful you taking care of so many ugly us - es.  and that is the truth. we only came to you because we were tainted and hoped you would cleanse the grime and dirt off and from within us. 

i do realize now - there is a method to cure the diseased and that must be followed. i stand corrected. 

you are the reason i am - intact and standing tall. as long as your halo reflects onto me - there can never be any fear. and that only means that i have nothing to fear ever . for forever and a day.  my quit was nurtured and nourished by some of the best super-girls and they bought him up so well that i call him - the hulk now. and hulk is the strongest man in the world, no - in the universe. 

god, i must stop being a clown and learn to post like a normal sane man does !!!!! that seems impossible !!!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Keep your guard up, @helmethermit but if things are going smoothly in your quit then enjoy it.  Some people actually don't struggle that much in their quit (it is a small number but I have heard of people like this.)

Don't underestimate nicotine addiction and adhere to never taking another puff.  Other than that, if it is smooth sailing then that is awesome.

lol, thank you johnny5,

each time i see your profile picture it kind of makes me feel like a battery on charge. lol. the grit , determination and focus on the face is so infectious. 

yes, 30 years of slavery is scary. yes - i must stop making fun of the smoky doodle. the enemy is strong, cunning and ruthless i realize. NOPE is carved so strongly on my soul though that i would have to be soul-less to re-lapse now. but a human cannot live without a soul. equation 1 + equation 2 = equation 3 etc etc. summary of the thesis is this - 

1. if you are a smoker - you can become a non-smoker

2. if you are a non-smoker - you can remain a non-smoker

3. if you are a non smoker - why the hell would you want to change that - dumbo.

i just swore no stupid posts and 10 seconds later i type this. this is crazy, lol 

• Like 6

Way to go H ....

Cocky Naa.....sounds to me ...you made your mind up ..and that's it ....

Lovely pic ..... beautiful colours .....

When I joined ..I was in threat of amputation of both feet ..due to smoking .... I too had to make the decision

to never stick anything in my mouth ,and light it ...

It wasn't as plain sailing at your quit ...but ...I had made that decision.

Just want to add ...Our Boo...is so loved  around here ...he is one hell of a guy ....

I'm sure he will be pleased to have a Gym Partner....you can walk around like Farmers together lol...

Keep doing what your doing H...

• Like 7

G’day 

morning....I’m Chris. I’m the NOPE bloke and I try to rock up here each day and pledge the NOPE. 

Can I take 2 mins of your time to talk about the E bit in the pledge? You know the “EVER” bit. Up to now I bet you been using the “replace EVER with minute ,hour, day as required, clause. 

Time to challenge yourself and really face the EVER bit. If your feeling a bit guilty about being easy and lack of craves..... Dont! Be.

Ever means facing the fact that your an addict and will spend the rest of your natural life being a mere Puff away from a 20 a day smoker. 

So if you want to really have a true quit you have to now start studying for the EVER bit. Cause let’s face it started with the minute, hour, day, now you get to keep this quit Forever!

I don’t wish you good luck.... you don’t need it.

You make your own 

Chris

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

Way to go H ....

Cocky Naa.....sounds to me ...you made your mind up ..and that's it ....

Lovely pic ..... beautiful colours .....

When I joined ..I was in threat of amputation of both feet ..due to smoking .... I too had to make the decision

to never stick anything in my mouth ,and light it ...

It wasn't as plain sailing at your quit ...but ...I had made that decision.

Just want to add ...Our Boo...is so loved  around here ...he is one hell of a guy ....

I'm sure he will be pleased to have a Gym Partner....you can walk around like Farmers together lol...

Keep doing what your doing H...

hey there - just imagining the stage at which you quit is scary. but what is heartwarming is that you stood up and despite the  odds you never gave up, never gave in. but then - that is the reason you are my-  GAD (for the few who do not know it means Guardian Angel Doreensfreee, now everybody knows). you are the best godmother my quit could have ever asked the maker for, so thank you my lady - for your mercy and your magic. 

boo is truly like sazerac - both are so full of radiating positive energy. you know i wish we could blast bangles - walk like an Egyptian and while you girls did the Egyptian walk boo and us old boys could do the farmer walk, lol. that would be awesome. i cant stop help giggling. all this - did i mention - at a picnic , by the lake. truly gorgeous. 

Edited by helmethermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cbdave said:

G’day 

morning....I’m Chris. I’m the NOPE bloke and I try to rock up here each day and pledge the NOPE. 

Can I take 2 mins of your time to talk about the E bit in the pledge? You know the “EVER” bit. Up to now I bet you been using the “replace EVER with minute ,hour, day as required, clause. 

Time to challenge yourself and really face the EVER bit. If your feeling a bit guilty about being easy and lack of craves..... Dont! Be.

Ever means facing the fact that your an addict and will spend the rest of your natural life being a mere Puff away from a 20 a day smoker. 

So if you want to really have a true quit you have to now start studying for the EVER bit. Cause let’s face it started with the minute, hour, day, now you get to keep this quit Forever!

I don’t wish you good luck.... you don’t need it.

You make your own 

Chris

hi cbdave,

no, you are not just the nope guy - to me you are the lighouse kid. why? - because you are standing taller than your quit and shining the light to drive away the darkness around others too. that is strength !. (background music in my head - this is sparta !, lol) 

only thing on which i disagree is the luck part. i will always need truckloads of it. i do not make my own luck. i was gifted luck.

there is this gang of real touch cookie girls called the supergirl club. i approached them and they took over.

you need luck - hey sazerac - pass on 4 truckloads of luck to this newbie.

hey doreensfree - dump some 300 litres of non relapse lotion on this weakling.

jillar - would you stick some quit strength sheets on the newbie.?

angeleek - here, drink this potion and you will not feel the pangs .

darcy - let me strap his night vision helmet so he can see the craves from afar and pull away etc.

they were others behind the scenes too.

what is attributed as luck is the sweat, endless effort, supernatural work put by non-supernatural hero's etc. i just had the right contacts, lol.

i dont know why but the line of an old bon jovi number is ringing in my head now - ' they say a promise is forever if you sign it on the dotted line..'  hmmm - yes, luck is not needed if you are lucky to have a group of superhero's around you .

me and my endless time trips back to 80's. anyway. 

free forever and free without fear - that is true freedom. and freedom is wondrous and magical. 

• Like 5

Although I always love a shout out it's you helmethermit that did/doing all the work. The kudos go to you. We only did/do what was done for us when we were newbies. Paying it forward is what makes this awesome train run so smoothly to freedom 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, jillar said:

Although I always love a shout out it's you helmethermit that did/doing all the work. The kudos go to you. We only did/do what was done for us when we were newbies. Paying it forward is what makes this awesome train run so smoothly to freedom 😊

hmmm , jillar -

lair, lair, your pants are on fire, lol.  ha ha he he hoo hoo. 

why do i call you a liar - that is because you said this - 'We only did/do what was done for us when we were newbies'. how do i know that this is a lie. ill whisper to you - so listen real carefully. 

even if you were wronged or had nobody helped you out too - initially when you were a newbie - you would still do all that you did for me. 

that is where you lie to me - that you helped me because someone helped you. 

you would help me no matter what - you know why?. because you like me and you know why you like me - it is because you are a likable person yourself 

you never turn good because or after good is/was done to you. you are good because that is all you are - a bundle of  bunny goodness - like hmmmm this girl jillar - on this forum is, lol. you cannot hide your goodness behind these lies, sweet little lies. (what is fleetwood mac doing here?, lol). so folks - a big shout out to our supergirl jillar. clap, clap and clap. thank you so much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

.day 010 update:

no cough today. no more sore throat too. thanks sazerac the salt water gargle did help very much. also i had some honey mixed to some warm water twice in the day. kind of replaced my coffee with the same. 

was supposed to start the exercise routine today but put if off until tomorrow. reason - lazy by nature, lol. takes a kick to get me moving most of the time.

Edited by helmethermit
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, helmethermit said:

.day 010 update:

no cough today. no more sore throat too. thanks sazerac the salt water gargle did help very much. also i had some honey mixed to some warm water twice in the day. kind of replaced my coffee with the same. 

was supposed to start the exercise routine today but put if off until tomorrow. reason - lazy by nature, lol. takes a kick to get me moving most of the time.

I put a dollop of hydrogen peroxide in salt water.

You may be fighting something off, sore throat...making you lazy.

You'll get up off your rusty dusty.  H.

logging down aftermath as on day 12?? or so, not counting really.  :

craves - none logged in my conscious

(off topic i know - but in the movie 'the skeleton key' there is this line that you can use to strengthen your quit -  the movie is about 'hoodoo' - like 'voodoo' but the difference is this as stated in the movie is - ''hoodoo can only affect you if you believe in it''- i use that to the hilt, lol) 

physical discomfort - none that i can honestly find worth mentioning

body is on a high in a sense after the quit - in an true elevated 'high'. i smell better, i breathe better, i feel better, i am better.

fear of re-lapse: no worries on that front. 

too much at stake to do something foolish like re-lapse now. maybe in another world, another time, another life - i would have re-lapsed. not now, not ever, not for - forever...and a day. 

any significant physical changes:

1. feel less hungry post quit (used to keep munching between meals but post quit i have stopped that) eat meals on time and i eat well. just do not feel the need to keep munching. 

2. feel unusually thirsty  - drinking water qty consumed has increased by nearly 4/5 times a day as compared to pre-quit. 

3. no negativity - during or after quit. quit has been painless and without any traces of any self doubt. no more do i even think in terms of holding or protecting the quit. a smoker who gave up smoking protects a quit. i am a non smoker - period.  

4. no cough at all in the last 24 hrs and throat feels fine. 

nothing else for now.  

• Like 4