Hello. A re- introduction.

darcy

Hello,

I am quitting smoking tomorrow.

I had found you, fabulous people, and this litany of resources five years ago, then threw away my quit (months).  Emotional blow with knee jerk response of I'd rather hurt me and remain appearing somewhat in control (ha ha ha, as she cries) than completely blow up in immature (again the laughter and perspective)  manners.

Through away another one (9 hours) this morning. 

Logged on here and have renewed hope (wish I could also say faith) in my resolve and ability/willingness.

Have very limited data, so being mindful of which Joel videos to choose. 

I know the key is to not put any nicotine into my body.  Rollercoastering on the ideas of can't or won't, willing and able or unwilling and able. Have smoked for 38 years, with around 3 years off for intelligent thinking/choices/behavior in the mix. 

Not yet savvy on site protocol and where to post and do things. guidance appreciated.

Big thank you for the how to use this site to quit thread.

Best regards,

darcy

• Like 6

Welcome aboard darcy, glad you've decided once again to take your life back but why wait until tomorrow when you can take it back today? :)  At the top of all our forum pages you'll find pinned threads that have great info as to how to maneuver the site, tips and tricks, and lots of other stuff so be sure to take a look at them. Glad to have you back :) 

• Like 3

Welcome back Darcy.

Glad you are taking your life back .....

On our Main Discussion Board ....you will find green pinned threads ..this is a great place to start..

Plus all Joel,s video,s you mentioned.....

Stay close post often ....you can do it ...

I agree ..why put more poison into your body ,just to have to get rid of it tomorrow...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darcy said:

Hello,

I am quitting smoking tomorrow.

I had found you, fabulous people, and this litany of resources five years ago, then threw away my quit (months).  Emotional blow with knee jerk response of I'd rather hurt me and remain appearing somewhat in control (ha ha ha, as she cries) than completely blow up in immature (again the laughter and perspective)  manners.

Through away another one (9 hours) this morning. 

Logged on here and have renewed hope (wish I could also say faith) in my resolve and ability/willingness.

Have very limited data, so being mindful of which Joel videos to choose. 

I know the key is to not put any nicotine into my body.  Rollercoastering on the ideas of can't or won't, willing and able or unwilling and able. Have smoked for 38 years, with around 3 years off for intelligent thinking/choices/behavior in the mix. 

Not yet savvy on site protocol and where to post and do things. guidance appreciated.

Big thank you for the how to use this site to quit thread.

Best regards,

darcy

Welcome to our merry little band of quitters, Darcy !

We are here to help you build a strong and sturdy quit.

Quitting smoking does not require luck or hope, faith or strength.

Quitting requires you use your noggin and outsmart your addiction.

It requires standing by your commitment and understanding addiction.

Don't wait another minute.

This thread will help you navigate around

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

Joel always includes written resources with his videos

so, you needn't burn up your allotment of data,

you can read all of his work.

Here are 34 articles available on How To Quit Smoking

Don't worry about protocol here.

Mods will move things if needed.

Jump right in and start your journey.

• Like 4

G'day Darcy and welcome back. 

Biggest bit of advice...don't think long term, just worry about today...when you wake up in the morning promise yourself "today I'm not smoking" and then fight to keep that promise, just quit for the day...then tomorrow repeat..after you have done that first 24hrs you know you can...draw strength from that...because you are only quitting for the day and you know you can do that because you have. 

• Like 5

Thank you for the advice.  This seems a path I can accomplish.

I am a bit mortified to utilize the people/connections here. My past efforts have found me weepy, self pitying, and full of recriminations.  My head and the addiction are the things to outsmart.  Shame and guilt....I'm sure you've heard this before.

Hoping to learn to celebrate small victories and take those as progress and evidence of my real self thriving..

In my more cynical moments I tend toward; why bother? I have already done the damage.

In my authentic moments I tend toward; Stop digging, put down the shovel, breathe, THRIVE ... you still have health and can revel in the joy of being free.

Thanks to all for doing what you do here. I am grateful to have your support.

• Like 4

Stop listening to and obeying the addict's voice and start listening, really listening to the true Darcy. 

That Darcy will quit smoking, build a successful quit and commence a fabulous journey of self discovery with self-respect and self-confidence as your new guides.

Recognize all junkie thoughts and see them for what they are.

They are only the lies of addiction and have no power.

Free your head.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, darcy said:

Thank you, Sazerac.  It's helpful to hear. now align beliefs with real self and carry on.

Exactly right, Darcy !

This thread, Introsucktion, written by a beloved member,  @MLMR,  may resonate with you.

Her writing is truthful and beautiful and tells of her continuing journey.

• Like 3

Welcome back Darcy.  Smoke-free is the way to be.

1 hour ago, darcy said:

In my authentic moments I tend toward; Stop digging, put down the shovel, breathe, THRIVE ... you still have health and can revel in the joy of being free.

The authentic is the genuine, undisputed, and real.  Stick with that.  Everything else is just noise.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, darcy said:

Stop digging, put down the shovel, breathe, THRIVE

Don't even think that!  That is the addict giving you permission to smoke!  You can do this darcy.    Stay close, we will guide you through.  There may be a few tough days but once that nicotine is gone, you can change the thoughts.!

• Like 2

Hi Darcy, our biggest enemy is our own minds, we have a tendency to overthink and then over react which then makes us overthink even more, all understandable as nicotine addicts that messes with our brains..

but, this can and will clear up and the fear, doubt and fog will clear

Never be ashamed to accept support or help, we all needed it and need it at different times, you are exactly where you need to be and we are all here to accept or offer support.

Keep busy, find a distraction that you can really throw your whole self into, for me it was cooking a new addiction if you will, but a healthy one and use the board as much as you can to learn about this addiction as more understanding is your key to success and post as much as you need, there is someone here 24/7 that's the beauty of a worldwide forum.

welcome to the train and the beginning of your FREEDOM journey

• Like 1

Thanks to each of you for suggestions and ideas.  I'm plugging along. Trying to do the 10 ways to use this site list. Having trouble creating a ticker, despite the directions here link. lol.

Little willingness to sit with frustration right now.  Just keep jumping around to topics on this site and reading.  

addiction. Amazing how I have been able to ignore the knowledge I hold in favor of being a slave to nicotine. Who the heck am I? What did I do to/with darcy?

Anyway.... Plugging along. been about 12 hours.   Hydrating and hoping to sleep.

Grateful to have this place and the people here to just talk with, listen to and keep marching with.

• Like 4

Congratulations on your 12 hours of freedom, Darcy !

@jillar is the go-to woman for tickers and she'll be along soon.

It is amazing the level of denial we all had as smokers.  Once I started to accept the truth about smoking, I was able to accept the truth about everything.

The shroud of smoke hid so many things.

Should you have any issues, anything at all, please post them here or in a new thread.

This will also help others in your shoes or, about to be in your shoes.

You quit smoking ! 

Oh, have a look at Riffing On H.A.L.T. (are you Hungry, Angry/emotional, Lonesome/bored, Tired)

and also, 

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 1

Hi @darcy, once you've created and saved your ticker  go your account settings click on signature, and paste it into the signature box then click save. Once you save it it should show up. If you keep having trouble just pm me with the info and I'll try to put it in your signature for you. 

You're doing great! 😊

• Thanks 1

Wake up .... want to smoke.  I don't smoke.

feet on floor .... want to smoke.   I don't smoke.

skip coffee ... want to smoke anyway.  I don't smoke.

find quit train, jump around awhile....  hmmm, I don't smoke.

eat something ... want to smoke.  I don't smoke.

sit outside to read ... want to smoke.  I don't smoke.

drink water, drink tea, make juice

I have been free for the better part of an entire day.

and the junkie mind says...so what?   We've been running together since you were young.  I've always been a comfort and there and nonjudgemental.  

I DON"T SMOKE.

• Like 4

Love your Ticker ! 

You are doing great.

Be sure to watch your blood sugar, drink sips of fruit juice for the next few days.

The tape of junkie thoughts will wind down.  Try and push the thoughts out as quickly as you can.  This was the hardest for me.

I would turn my attention to look at or listen to something beautiful, that kick-started endorphins to flow.

Here is a list of some of the idiotic junkie phrases that may appear.

Red Flags

Remember,  Move A Muscle-Change A Thought !  Dance, Sing, shake yourself around, go for a walk.

You Quit Smoking !   Woo Hoo !! 

• Like 1

The fact that you have quit makes you super qualified to lend your support.

The wisdom you are gaining by your experience needs to be expressed, you never know whose (seen/unseen) eyes will be positively effected.

So, put your stories out there, @Irene  and @darcy.  This is exactly how this place was built and how it continues to help people quit smoking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Sazerac 100%. There's nothing better than having quit buddies who quit around the same time as you @darcy and @Irene. You guys are sharing in the hardest months of the quit when all these things are happening to your mind and body.  As you can see by my signature, there's a certain sense of camaraderie with your fellow newbies. Maybe even join together and give your "class of 2020" a quit name and logo. 

I'm part of the 2016 Buttkickers and our logo is in my signature 😊

• Like 3