Hi all round 2

Irene

I have been lurking for quite a while, even during my first quit, and decided to join. Been smoking for around 40 years and decided to quit for the very first time on the 14 Feb this year...

Needless to say, I blew it 48 days into the quit....I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that all the hard work, sleepless nights, headaches etc went up in smoke, simply because I felt like a cigarette. Nothing dramatic happened...I just felt like a cigarette.

This time around I'm struggling  a little more with constant thoughts of smoking. I know I will get through this, once I accept the fact that I will feel the urge to smoke every day for the next couple of months and that having that cigarette  is non negotiable.

I would like to add that quittrain is a great site with some amazing members! I'm still catching up on reading some of the older posts which are very relevant for me.

Thanks for having me😊

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Irene and congratulations on taking back your life 😊 That's a bummer about your relapse after 48 days but at least you know what to expect moving forward! And you'll get as much support as you need/want here 😊

I'm glad your reading up on our addiction, there's so much information here. Our search feature is awesome too if your looking for specific threads. Just type in a search word/words and the threads will come up containing them. We also have a great social section when you need to take a break from the constant thoughts of cigarettes. The games forum really helped me keep my mind off my misery. 

So again welcome 😊

• Like 3

Welcome, Irene!  I also quit for the very first time after about 40 years of smoking so I know you're fighting a lifetime of habit along with the addiction, but, more importantly, I know it can be done -- you just have to make a firm decision that no amount of wanting, craving, or any outside factors will change -- and those early tough days will soon be behind you. Congratulations on getting right back at it after giving up your 48? (or 18 days from Feb14?) day quit  and I think you will be very happy that you joined up, because everything is easier with friends to cheer you on.

• Like 4

Thanks jillar.....will be exploring a little more as time goes by.

The times I struggle the most with are evenings after work, and weekends when I'm the most relaxed. I feel lethargic at times so 

dont feel much like doing anything except having that damn cigarette, which is when I go inside to read or take a nap

My mistake Jordan7...that would be Jan 14

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Irene said:

I have been lurking for quite a while, even during my first quit, and decided to join. Been smoking for around 40 years and decided to quit for the very first time on the 14 Feb this year...

Needless to say, I blew it 48 days into the quit....I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that all the hard work, sleepless nights, headaches etc went up in smoke, simply because I felt like a cigarette. Nothing dramatic happened...I just felt like a cigarette.

This time around I'm struggling  a little more with constant thoughts of smoking. I know I will get through this, once I accept the fact that I will feel the urge to smoke every day for the next couple of months and that having that cigarette  is non negotiable.

I would like to add that quittrain is a great site with some amazing members! I'm still catching up on reading some of the older posts which are very relevant for me.

Thanks for having me😊

First of all, congratulations on quitting smoking four days ago !

You may find this thread helpful

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

The most important component to being free of nicotine is to commit and stand by that commitment to NOPE.

Not One Puff Ever.

Education about nicotine addiction is another tool to ensure a successful quit.

The more you understand about addiction, the easier it is to go through the de-tox, everything makes sense.

Read read read read.  We have a pretty cohesive library, please avail yourself and bump any posts that resonate with you.

The sooner you force yourself to think about something/anything rather than smoking, the easier the journey becomes.

I would take really deep breaths and find something of beauty to look at, that light on that leaf, for example

or, find a happy memory, a song etc and use as a prompt. Shake your body ! Reward yourself !

This will encourage a release of endorphins that nicotine gangstered away from you.

So glad you are sharing your quit with us.  

• Like 2

It's important to listen to your body right now as it tries to repair all the damage smoking did so if you're tired, rest, hungry, eat, etc. You may find yourself craving certain things too and again, listen to your body. I was addicted to soft peppermint puffs the whole first year of quitting and oddly enough haven't craved them since lol

• Like 3

Hello and welcome Irene....

Glad you decided to jump on board.....quitting is better with support ....and sometimes fun ....

Let's make this quit your sticky ....knowledge will help you fight ....learn all you can here ...

We have all been where you are .....we understand your battle ...

Do the daily pledge ...this is a powerful way to start each day ...

You can do it !!!

• Like 3

Thanks all...I have been doing a lot of reading tonight which has helped, and I firmly believe that had I joined

up on my first quit, I may not have thrown it away so easily, but it's now time to stop dwelling on that, and give this one my all

• Like 7

Welcome Irene. 

Continue to read up on nicotine addiction.  Knowledge is power.  Also, feel free to reach out for support as needed.  Quitting smoking is very doable and life without cigarettes is a truly wonderful thing.

You are doing a great thing by quitting smoking.

• Like 3

hi irene, welcome and congratulations on your quit, take it a step at a time, be kind to yourself and read everything as knowledge is power, jump in on the games and the social side too as this is a great distraction, post and reach out when you need to, we have all been exactly where you are right now at some point, keep going and don't let go of the rope.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Irene.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

Much of the work of getting over the nagging and persistent thoughts of smoking early in the process is a simple matter of time and repetition.  A real turning point in my quit was when I quit fighting the thoughts.  I just let them happen and observed them for what they are.  Thoughts come, thoughts go, and thoughts have exactly as much or as little power as we give them.

5 hours ago, Irene said:

I know I will get through this, once I accept the fact that I will feel the urge to smoke every day for the next couple of months and that having that cigarette  is non negotiable.

To smoke or not to smoke is a binary choice.  Take the smoking option off the table and you don't even have a decision to make.

Stick with that and you're good to go.

• Like 3

Welcome, Irene! I am a newbie here too and this is a great place to get support. Congratulations on restarting your quit so soon - you can totally do it again and keep it going! 

Remember your motivation - mine is to NOT be on oxygen and to be able to breathe when I'm a senior citizen.  Fact is, after 34 years of smoking, it's just time to lay em down!

I find all the researching and hanging out at the forum, plus Joel Spitzer's educational videos, help tremendously.  The folks here are super helpful and supportive.

Choo Choo! Glad to have you!

• Like 4

Hey Irene, I smoked for 42 years and could not quit until I landed on this forum.  Everyone that attempts to quit consumes their minds with that last cigarette and thinking it takes so long to not crave them anymore.  Surprisingly it did not take that long for either.  It takes a couple of days to get the nicotine out of your systems and then you learn to redirect those craves.  Come here and post an SOS if you feel the need to smoke, we are very good at letting you know why you do not need to smoke.  Stay close to the forum and have fun playing some games.  You can do this.  

• Like 4