Same-same but different

I know there are a few threads already about the unexpected gains we got from quitting BUT I'm too lazy to go hunting, besides when ya do you tend to fall down a rabbit hole of rereading some bloody good posts...well I do..anywho ..was reading an old post and it got me thinking (no it did not hurt)...

Did quitting change who I am? Has it opened life opportunities that weren't there previously? 

Yes quitting made me different I'm now a nonsmoker. But it also made me different in other ways...and I think to some extent that evolution is still happening. I mean we spend our whole existence changing and evolving but I defo reckon that quitting spun me into a completely different trajectory...and ya know wot?, It ain't half bad.

I see lots of peeps post between months 3-7 of their quit...it's made me different...it's changed who I am...yep...it does...and looking back over all the characters I've met here on the train it's true for all of us...some it's softened the hard edges of, some it's toughened up...some it's allowed to grow up..and some it has allowed us let go. Noone has escaped.

Ok so I'm 2+ years in and in some ways im still settling into my new skin...but I am different and I'm better for it, my life is better for it, in many, many ways...ways that had I still been smoking it certainly wouldn't be. 

I kinda reckon the triggers you go through in ya quit are the lessons you need to master...for me it was all the emotional stuff from growing up that when it'd touch the surface I'd chase away with a durry...that was gone so I had to deal...and it may be takingbme a fair wack of time to do so but I have learnt I am worthwhile just the way I am and if someone else doesn't think so it's no skin off my nose an it's their loss. I've quit suppressing me and all my crazy...nerdy...oddness cos let me tell you, you don't like it then keep on movin mate cos your opinion of me doesn't define me. Quitting smoking gave me that. 

So the point is newbies an inbetweenies...don't be scared of the changes ..embrace them...grow...because you will still be you..just different..and that is good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

What a great post, @notsmokinjo !  I am so glad you quit smoking and are beginning to appreciate yourself.  You are an incredible being.

3 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

So the point is newbies an inbetweenies...don't be scared of the changes ..embrace them...grow...because you will still be you..just different..and that is good.

This is one of the great gifts of quitting smoking, the ability to change. 

The ability to make truthful assessments of ourselves and choose to accept things or change them.

The inner power, the self-confidence, the profound trust in ourselves that we can now nurture instead of the focus being on poisoning ourselves,

it is an incredible metamorphosis and every person who has quit smoking knows exactly what I mean, what Jo means.

p.s.  I know well the rabbit holes of our archives, I have a sort of fetish to link everything together.  lol. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice one, Jo! 

Even though Im pretty far in the proces, I still love reading about everything positive in the long run and how thats working out for others.  

8 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I have learnt I am worthwhile just the way I am 

Wow,  this really is fundamental, isnt it? 

I take your post with me, into my new day. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant post Jo.....

One of the great things I love about this place is watching new quitters grow ...they come here unsure,and you can see them growing into confident ,strong people ...and sometimes the changes are life changing .

It's a pleasure to travel this amazing journey with you ...my friend ❤❤❤❤❤

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1