My quit journey is still going!

Betty

Hi everyone! 

My original quit was 8 years ago. I did it with the support of others. I spent a lot of time on the other forum which I can no longer find. How ever, 2 weeks ago I was contacted by the woman who had an affair with my husband between September last year and January this year and my mental state was not the best and I made the silly decision to have a cigarette. Well that set that addiction back in fully swing!! I have been craving another cigarette non stop for the last 2 weeks!! So I thought it was best to jump back in to a support group and actively fight that feeling of wanting another cigarette! Plus I hope that I can encourage people to understand that ‘Not one puff ever’ is the absolute truth! Because after 8 years picking up that one cigarette has put me back to the early stages of my quit where I had cravings and thoughts about smoking all the time! I am strong and I have done this before so I know as long as I keep on track and in the right mindset I won’t pick up another! 

I do not want this addiction to rule my life and refuse to allow it and that’s why I am back! 

I had such a great 8 years nicotine free and want to keep it that way!! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Betty.  Congratulations on reclaiming your freedom.

18 minutes ago, Betty said:

I do not want this addiction to rule my life and refuse to allow it and that’s why I am back! 

When you take smoking off the table and refuse to cater to addiction's every whim, the voice of addiction quickly fades from a roar to a whimper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to our merry band of quitters, Betty.

Are you currently smoking ? When is/was  your quit date ?

NOPE, Not One Puff Ever,  needs to be permanently etched into our consciousness. You threw away a Six Year quit.

This is a colossal lesson for you, for all of us,  and a brutal reminder that addiction doesn't magically go away and stay away.

It takes vigilance for the rest of our lives to stay free and we must never become complacent. Not One Puff EVER.  NEVER EVER.

Please, avail yourself to all our resources and build yourself a strong and sturdy quit.  Smoking has nothing for you, nothing at all.

You may find this thread helpful in navigating around the QTrain

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I only had that one cigarette 2 weeks ago. I’m back because I have been craving another since. I have not taking smoking up again and do not plan to do so and that’s why I am here :) 

Its just amazing how many times since that cigarette I have thought of having another! 

So my relapse date was feb 18 and that would also be my new quit date I guess! 

• Like 2

Welcome Betty, sorry about your relapse. Just shows us that this addiction is always on the back burner looking for a way in. That must have been an awful shock to have that woman contact you and I'm really sorry that happened to you. Just remember that the best way to get back at them is to be your best self, smoke free and healthy.

Glad you found us, we can support you however much you need or want. We also have a great socializing section that helped me big time at keeping my mind busy on other things so check them out for sure 😊

• Like 1

Thanks jillar for your supportive words! 💖 

it certainly shows that the addiction is there always on the back burner! That’s why I figure this is the best place for support and encouragement! I definitely do not want to be ruled by this addiction and I want to go back to life before I had that cigarette where I didn’t even think about smoking! 

And yes I was in deep shock and wasn’t thinking correctly at the time! 

• Like 3

Oh Betty, I am so sorry for your difficulties.  You are strong - you quit smoking!   Use that power to guide you.  I am so glad you found us and hope we can be there for you.  

You've got this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Betty ..

I carnt imagine losing my precious quit after 8 years ....I can just imagine your disappointment....

But you know you don't want to be a smoker ...and have jumped back in the saddle ..

Well done ....put it behind you and leap forward ....

Sorry about what happened ...life throws us some curve balls ....but your life is precious ....

Nicotine kills ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

arghh...it makes me crazy that when we have an emotional calamity we often choose self-destruction in order to deal with it.

It is so counter-intuitive and oh so human.  Being nicotine addicts, the weapon du jour will always be tobacco, of course.

I am so glad you didn't go on to smoke more, that you caught yourself is amazing and reason to celebrate.

12 hours ago, Betty said:

So my relapse date was feb 18 and that would also be my new quit date I guess! 

You have been free for 13 days, Betty.  Congratulations ! 

I wonder if you are thinking thoughts of cigarettes because you do have control over them

where you may be feeling you have no power in other parts of your life.

Our mind plays infinite games with us when we are not paying full attention or when things are not right or when things suddenly change.

When you are experiencing craves, have a think about H.A.L.T.  (are you Hungry/thirsty, Angry/emotional, Lonesome/bored, Tired)

Riffing On H.A.L.T.

You are smarter that your addiction, Betty.  Do not be a doubter and remember your power.

S

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1