Plant based eating...

catlover

44 minutes ago, catlover said:

Yes I’m still following this diet most of the time. I eat a lot of grains, beans, lentils, vegetables and fruit. But I do like chicken now and again,  and a bit of gammon.  I feel a lot healthier reducing my meat meals.  
what is ketogenic diet, will have to look that up lol.

The ketogenic diet is low carb, moderate protein and high fat.  There is a lot to it but basically you avoid grains, beans, and starchy vegetables.  It was used a long time ago to help people with epilipsy.  In more recent years, many people have been able to reverse their type II diabetes with the diet.  I've never been able to eat too many bread-y things which was one thing that made vegetarianism somewhat difficult for me.  But, like I said before, I felt really good when I ate that way.  To me, it's all about feeling good and being healthy.  Makes me wonder...how did I ever become a smoker?

• Like 2

I am essentially living a plant based diet at the moment. And pretty limited variety of things I can eat too. ketogenic is definately off the table for me because I have to be as fat free as possible unless I want to spend half the day on the dunny. 

My only exceptions are an egg every 2-3 days, oysters once a week and some steamed flathead once a week. I can't even have tuna or salmon or barra because the fat contents are too high. 

• Sad 1

@notsmokinjo, I take it that your dietary restrictions are due to some type of health issue?  Many years ago, a doctor had me eating fat free and it was a real drag...very difficult...hardly anything tastes good without fat.  It ended up not helping the problem either.  In my case, I just needed some yogurt to replenish gut bacteria that had been totally wiped out from antibiotics.

Hi Mona... yes medical. I had a couple of emergency surgeries in May which have damaged my digestive system and at the moment I can't process fat, cruciferous (sp) veggies, dairy, meat and most legumes and grains. They are not sure if there is an underlying condition causing this or if it is a scar tissue issue... they can't do the tests to work it out because of Cv-19 stage 4 restrictions in Melbourne so I am managing it as best I can with diet. Sometimes I cheat, and have something I know I'm not supposed to but then the hell my body goes through makes me not inclined to at all. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Hi Mona... yes medical. I had a couple of emergency surgeries in May which have damaged my digestive system and at the moment I can't process fat, cruciferous (sp) veggies, dairy, meat and most legumes and grains. They are not sure if there is an underlying condition causing this or if it is a scar tissue issue... they can't do the tests to work it out because of Cv-19 stage 4 restrictions in Melbourne so I am managing it as best I can with diet. Sometimes I cheat, and have something I know I'm not supposed to but then the hell my body goes through makes me not inclined to at all. 

Hi Sweetie ...

It took over two years for my body to feel kinda back to normal after my gall bladder removal....

I still carnt eat alot of meat....it doesn't digest the same ....well to be honest all my meals are smaller portions ,

I know you have more complications than me ...I'm not sure if your body is ever the same after that ...

Get well soon 💕💕

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Thanks Doreen. I'm certainly on smaller serves too. It's the best diet for weight loss because if I cheat I suffer...lol...lucky for me I h ave lots of spare kgs to drop.

Yaaa....Bad pain for sure ..

I sometimes forget and cheat too....and pay the price ...😘

• Sad 1