Introduction

Britt

Hi everyone! The countdown is on to my quit day which is tomorrow. I have spent a lot of time preparing for my quit. I have stocked up the fridge with fruits, vegetables, and juice to help me through the first couple days. I am ready to put myself first now and dedicated to making this my final quit. I am no longer going to say I am going to try and quit. I am going to do it, I know it can be rough for awhile but it would be harder to deal with a self inflicted disease. I am not going to allow myself to make excuses and I will not cave into junkie thinking. This is it. My time is now. I am going to type on this thread for accountability and to track my progress throughout this process. I have been reading a lot of the threads on this board and look forward to getting to know you all. It is nice to be able to talk with people that have been in same situation. I like how Joel says...everyone has to start at day one, take your quit day by day. 

• Like 10

Welcome to QuitTrain, @Butterfly  It sounds like you have the right attitude.

Reading up on nicotine addiction here is a great idea and looking for support from others who have gone through what you are going through is great as well.  Knowledge about the addiction and support can really help you quit smoking for good...and while it may seem daunting right now, quitting smoking is an incredibly awesome change you can make to your life.

Joel's videos are great.  I would also recommend seeking out Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way  to Quit Smoking"   That was very influential to me.  It is a great read and it helped me to understand that I was gaining nothing positive by smoking....everything from smoking is negative and quitting smoking is making a huge positive change in your life.

12 minutes ago, Butterfly said:

. I am no longer going to say I am going to try and quit. I am going to do it, I know it can be rough for awhile but it would be harder to deal with a self inflicted disease. I am not going to allow myself to make excuses and I will not cave into junkie thinking. This is it. My time is now.

Yes, don't "try" to quit.  Just quit.  There are a lot of people here who can attest that quitting smoking is very doable and is a great thing to do.  Reach out for support here if you are struggling and keep reading up on how to beat nicotine addiction.

I hope you feel welcome here.  There is a lot of support and knowledge you can gain here to help you stay quit for good.  It is great to have you here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the site, @Butterfly !

It sounds like you have done some preparation for your quit.  Good on you !

Education about nicotine addiction is essential in building a sturdy, successful quit.

I am glad you have been availing yourself to Joel Spitzer's Quitting Library.

He helped me, especially in the early days of my quit, and I continue to use his resources, I have learned so much from him.

I notice you are planning to quit on February 29.  This is a leap year, you know, lol.  There won't be another February 29th for four years.

Maybe you should quit NOW.  Tonight !  on February 28th so we can celebrate your first year Nicotine Free on February 28, 2021.

I look forward to getting to know you and watching you build your quit.  You have found a great place for knowledge and support.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The anticipation causes more stress and doubt than the do-ing, B.  You will be fine. 

Sure, there may be some grimy moments but, nothing you cannot handle.

You are smarter than this addiction.  For sure. 

I look forward to seeing your NOPE in the morning. :)

• Like 7

Welcome Butterfly.  Any day to quit is a good day.  You have lots of good info already.  The first week is the toughest.  Stay focused on the goal and you will do fine.  When I quit,

I bobbed around on the forum every day.  I got to know people, read everything and enjoyed the games and humor.  Everyone encouraged me and let me know I had the power to do it.

You have that power also.  You can do this!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard ....

Congratulations on claiming your life back from this horrible addiction ...

We will support you all the way to Freedom ...

I also recommend reading Alan Carr the easy way to stop smoking ....this great book has helped millions ..me included...

We are here 24/7 ....to help you along ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Welcome aboard ....

Congratulations on claiming your life back from this horrible addiction ...

We will support you all the way to Freedom ...

I also recommend reading Alan Carr the easy way to stop smoking ....this great book has helped millions ..me included...

We are here 24/7 ....to help you along ...

Hi @Doreensfree, I agree that Alan Carr is an excelent read and resource. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Butterfly said:

the old thought of just quit tomorrow. Go on smoking one more day...ehhh it's drug addiction. It's drug addiction. That is the drug talking.

You are absolutely correct it is addiction talking.

Here are some more examples of that

Red Flags,

be sure and add your own to that thread, B !

You are doing great, I know you are in the throes of withdrawal. 

Hang in there, it gets better.  So much better.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much! Let me share this with y'all so you can tell me what it means. My mind is telling me my new identity will be completely different from my smoking self and personality will change drastically. Does your personality change a lot? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Britt said:

Does your personality change a lot? 

Maybe not right away but it will in that your self esteem goes up so much when you see how much better you look and feel since quitting. Which translates for many to be more outgoing and sociable 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Britt.

21 hours ago, Britt said:

I am not going to allow myself to make excuses and I will not cave into junkie thinking. This is it. My time is now.

Hold on to that line of thinking.  Hold on tightly if needed.

There is only one incontrovertible rule in this process: DON'T SMOKE!

If you adhere to the rule, you're good to go.

17 minutes ago, Britt said:

Does your personality change a lot? 

My personality didn't change much after I quit.  My lifestyle changed dramatically.

The process of quitting led to me facing some uncomfortable truths and shedding some comfortable delusions in my life.  This in turn provided the swift kick in the ass I needed to get myself out of the rut I had settled into.  Quitting smoking impacted every facet of my life and I am forever grateful to the process.

Strength begets strength.  Confidence begets confidence.

• Like 5

^^^^^^^

everything Boo said.

We all identified ourselves as Smokers.  It was an extension of ourselves and many have fears about who they will change into.

They won't be themselves anymore.

The thing is, you get so much closer to yourself, so much more in tune and earn a trust and respect in yourself that you never can know as an active addict.

'Oh, the Things You Will See ! ' and feel with a sincere honesty, a new belief in yourself.  You will learn about your power and how to use it.

There are innumerable rewards. 

from our archives, Unexpected Benefits of Quitting Smoking

and from our friend, Joel Spitzer,  Quitting May Lead To Other Self Improvements

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1