Back to smoking after 30 days

Warrior

I have been trying to quit for the last 21 years started smoking when I was 18, messed up my life was good at most sports, football, cricket, badminton etc. Started smoking with friends then ended up with joints in uni, then that continued along with smoking, to be honest I think I ruined my life with this one wrong choice in life got gerd now last month i had 227 cholesterol quit for a month then back on it again. Its like 2.28 at night i feel so bad cant breath well smokers breath, big belly, gerd, high chlestrol 3 beautiful kids and messing my life because of this addiction. When  I smoke I feel relaxed thats why I light up every time, I feel depressed so I light up. need help i want to quit please.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hi W glad you found us ...

Firstly you need to educate yourself about this addiction...read all you can here ...the Main Board is a good place to start ,the green pinned posts will get you off to a good start ...

Watch all Joel's video,s...they cover most of your concerns...

You are relieving withdrawal systems ,you are not relaxed...you are feeding your addiction ...the only way to stop this cycle ,is stop feeding it ...

• Like 3

The worst thing is that I am around people who smoke my business partner smokes we share a common desk so he lights up that gives me the craving, then I have friends from my teens they mostly smoke when I meet them they light up and I light up. The other thing is that I feel more confident and masculine when I light up. But I just feel like talking about my addiction more this may help me vent and ultimately stop. Once I am into smoking I get to a joint or 2 then after that it comes to a couple of splifs in the day. I am tired of all this. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Welcome warrior, you've come to the right place for help. I'm convinced I wouldn't have succeeded if not for the support of a community of fellow quitters. 

you can quit for good, we're all proof of that. Read about our addiction, stick close and you too will succeed. The best clue I got when bad craves bit was using my air cigarette. I just pretended I was holding an actual cigarette in my fingers then went through the motions of 'smoking' it. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing.

• Like 4

Welcome to the site, @Warrior

You can stop this craziness very simply

by committing to and sticking to a commitment to never taking another puff.

Not One Puff Ever.

You may find this thread useful

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction

Smoking certainly doesn't make you more manly.  What is manly about choosing to be a slave to nicotine ?

You are not your own man while you stay addicted to nicotine.  You are Nicotine's Slave.

Breaking Free From Nicotine's Grip Is More Doable Than Most People Think

• Like 4

I got like 10 cigarettes in the car and I have broken and thrown many packs earlier, what should I do with this one. I am thinking that I keep it and dont smoke as a challenge or shall I throw it away again. I hate smoking but I am a slave I turn back always, this last time I was so confident but I started again after 30 days and smoking for the last 7 days again I am down from a pack a day to half a pack but I want to quit again and this time I dont want to be back ever ever.

• Like 2

Now the thought is coming to my mind what will happen tomorrow at work will I be able to work or those widrawl  symptoms are gonna make me cranky and prone to quarrel with everyone and as I am up late at night how will I stay awake tomorrow through out the day. 

• Like 3

Yes warrior, you may very well be cranky and ready to quarrel but just tell your co-workers that you've quit and to hear with you for a while. Most people will be so happy that you're making this change that they will have no problem accommodating you.

Also stock up on candies to suck on. If even lollipops. Can't smoke and suck on candy at the same time 😊

• Like 4

Be Here Now.  Take each day as it comes.  Stand by your commitment, you will be able to ride through crankiness.  No need to quarrel, this is always a choice, you know.

Right now, why not take a nice long shower, eat something, drink some chamomile tea, warm milk and go get some sleep. Be Kind to yourself.

Sweet dreams.  See you tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Oh Warrior, just bite the bullet and stop.  You will be uncomfortable for a few days as the nicotine gets out of your system, and then it is just a matter of redirecting those craves. 

You will regret every day of the rest of your smoking life!  You have to make up your mind to just stop.  As you travel your quit journey, picture your body starting to heal.  Concentrate on breathing that clean fresh air.  Look forward to living a much longer happier life.  As I quit, I tried to look at other smokers with pity.  Watch how they are continually chained to their cigarettes, standing in the cold just to get their fix.  Tell yourself that you will longer be like them.  You can do this.

Stay close to the forum and shout out when you need support.  Read the other member's blogs. Stay busy.  I smoked for 42 years and have been quit for 1 year and 1/2.  I did not think I had the strength to do it but the members here showed me the way.  Looking back, it was not that difficult.  It is the addiction making you think that!  

• Like 8

The other thing is that I feel more confident and masculine when I light up

There is nothing about stinky breath ,stinky fingers ,stinky clothes ......weezing..... coughing.....

That's screams masculinity......

Once you have made the decision to never Put anything in your mouth and set fire to it ..No matter what ...

It becomes easier ....

Come and take our daily pledge ...it's a great way to start your day ..with a promise to yourself for the next 24 hrs you won't take one puff....you'll be surprised how quick the days pass...

When you crave ..go for a walk ..chew some regular gum ..suck sweets ....come here and refresh ..

We have games to keep you busy ..and idle away some time ...

You can do it ...believe in yourself...

• Like 5

When you're young, smoking looks manly and cool; when you're old, it looks like death.  My father is 73 and has been smoking sine he was 13.  He had throat cancer over 20 years ago,  but continues to smoke   He can't get around very well, coughs constantly, and is always in a foul mood.  On the other hand, my father-in-law is the same age but only smokes the occasional cigar.  He plays golf 2-3 times a week, is active with maintaining the five plus acres of land he owns, and is consistently upbeat.  Right now, who is manlier?  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Old Man Coffee said:

When you're young, smoking looks manly and cool; when you're old, it looks like death.  My father is 73 and has been smoking sine he was 13.  He had throat cancer over 20 years ago,  but continues to smoke   He can't get around very well, coughs constantly, and is always in a foul mood.  On the other hand, my father-in-law is the same age but only smokes the occasional cigar.  He plays golf 2-3 times a week, is active with maintaining the five plus acres of land he owns, and is consistently upbeat.  Right now, who is manlier?  

When I read or hear someone say ...blabla is old and looks great for thier age ,and smokes so many cigs a day .

Yes this may be 1 person who has dodged the bullet against Thousands who have died far too early due to this horrible addiction...

I feel so lucky to still be here writing this after smoking 52 years ...but my hubby was not so ....

• Like 3

On 2/27/2020 at 4:46 PM, Warrior said:

I am tired of all this. 

If you're stuck in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.

If your addiction to cigarettes is diminishing the quality of your life, stop smoking cigarettes.

The slavery of nicotine addiction is self-imposed.  You can walk away from it with a commitment to never smoke again.

The choice is yours.  Always has been, always will be.

• Like 4

Hello Warrior!

Congratulations on having quit for 30 days!   That is gigantic!!! Even if you started up again...again...30 days proves you can quit!

The fact that smoking makes you miserable, that you mostly hate it and that you have reduced your smokes AND quit several times shows that you are destined to become an ex-smoker, eventually. 

You WILL stop smoking for good one of these days. Exactly when is entirely up to you.

Each time I quit and failed, I analyzed what went wrong and took steps to prevent that from happening on my next quit.  The most recent thing was the nicotine gum.  I couldn't quit both the gum and the smokes all at once cold turkey, so I started smoking again after 28 hours cold turkey and decided to quit the gum first. 

Six months after kicking my 15- year nicotine gum habit, I went cold turkey again and am happy to report that today is day 44 of being totally nicotine-free!  My issue now is post-nicotine depression, which I anticipated, so I read up on addiction and brain/dopamine recovery often to keep me occupied and hopeful while I work through however many weeks (12? 24?) it's going to take for my brain's nicotine receptors and dopamine response to normalize.

Working and socializing with smokers must be a mind-boggling challenge. I have no advice for that, but there should be some solutions for that somewhere in the addiction recovery toolbox...keep looking!

We can overcome nicotine addiction!  My motivation to quit after 34 years is wanting to retain my ability to breathe after watching my mom die of COPD a year ago at the age of 71. I wanted to quit before it's too late.  

Refocus your motivation, do your next quit and use all the tools you can find to stay tobacco and nicotine-free! You got this, Warrior! Look forward to reclaiming your wonderful, self-empowered life!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome @Angeleek and congratulations on 44 days nicotine free. You are very lucky to not have suffered serious issues by using both nicotine gum and smoking. That's so dangerous to your health! 

NRT's are meant to be temporary.

A lot of us suffer some level of depression upon quitting and it's usually only temporary but if it's really bothersome you may want to speak to your dr about it. They can sometimes give you a temporary med to help you past it while your body is adjusting.

If you get a chance, introduce yourself in our Introduction forum, we have lots of members who would love to meet you and welcome you 😊

• Like 4

It's easy to swop one addiction for another ...Nicotine is a powerful drug ...

NRT is only a temporary way of weaning yourself off nicotine for good ...

Sometimes people can get addicted to gum, patch for years ....

The only way forward is to stop administrating all nicotine in any form ....and just go for it ....Freedom ...Glad your both here ...we can help you stay free forever ...

• Like 2

thanks for the motivation but I am again smoking half a pack a day. I hate smoking but I cant let go. These days its a lot of pressure on certain business commitments and I have to light up. I dont know when this shit will stop. I have 3 lovely kids and a loving wife but I cant stop. 

• Sad 2

This is junkie thinking and talking W....

We are not special snowflakes here ...and we Quit .....

You Are no different ....

It's all about choice ...you either want to smoke or you don't .....

What will happen to your lovely family if you get a horrible smoking related ilness....

We can support you ....but you have to put the work in ....

Every smoker can Quit ....you must make the decision to never stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it ..

I was a 52 year smoker ...and I quit ....

Stop finding excuses ....you can let go ....

• Like 5

Warrior,

Try this:  wake up tomorrow and go to the Daily NOPE Pledge section of the forum and pledge to not smoke for the day.  Then do it again tomorrow, then the next day, and so on.

You have to take it one day at a time.  If you look at a lifetime without something that you have lived with for 21 years- it will seem impossible.  If you look 24 hours at a time, each day will get easier.  

• Like 6