Taking off the Quit Weight

Old Man Coffee

With four and a half months of quit behind me, the most frustrating thing right now is the 8-10 pounds i put on after quitting.  This month I have been at the gym 4-5 days a week and I have stopped drinking; however, the pounds are sticking to me.  The work will eventually pay off and I am seeing benefits even though the scale is not moving.  This quitting weight has been the most stubborn extra weight I have ever dealt with.

I'm interested to know what have been your experiences with post quitting weight gain and taking it off.  

f69cc481fb8cb9ee7c01a353dcb134231c0d7913

• Like 4

I'm with you OMC !!!! this extra weight is something else!!!lol 

I haven't joined any gyms but I am doing light lifting and stretching at home. Getting my body in some type of motion

I don't want to injure myself !!! LOL no seriously thou.  I'm a little older and not very flexible so i'm easing into this thing

called working out!!!

Edited by QueenB
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Old Man Coffee said:

I'm interested to know what have been your experiences with post quitting weight gain and taking it off.

I gained 30 pounds with my quit.  Both my husband and I have been doing the intermittent fasting since January 1st.  We only eat between Noon and 6:00 pm.  This has been the easiest diet I have ever done because you can eat somewhat normal meals.  I have lost 15 lbs and my husband has lost 20!  We both have been going to the gym also.  The older we get, the harder it is to take those pounds off.   

• Like 6

Hi OMC,

I'm not sure my extra lbs were due to quitting or simply due to my indolence and Age.

I walk a lot (no wheels) and swim and eat lots fresh veg, little meat and no (or very few) processed foods.

I pay attention to nutrition.  

I am seeing results.

Here is a page of Weight Related Resources from our friend, Joel Spitzer.

• Like 6

I will keep it brief...

If you are looking to lose weight, nutrition must be your primary focus.  Exercise is a part of the equation, but there is no way to exercise enough to overcome a bad nutrition plan with the goal of losing weight.

Track the food you eat.  It is boring and tedious.  It is also necessary.  Everyone thinks they know roughly how many calories they consume on an average day.  Most people underestimate how many calories they actually consume.

Incorporate strength training into your exercise routine.  Strength training is far more effective at positively affecting body composition than hours of mindlessly trudging away on a treadmill.

Exercise is not just something you do at the gym for a few hours per week.  Find ways to be more active throughout the day.  We're not going for intensity here.  We're simply going for consistency of movement.

Don't obsess about numbers on a scale.  Focus on making lifestyle changes instead.

• Like 8

I didn't gain too much with quitting ...but I did notice around the 9 month mark ..I started to focus on my weight more than cigs....and lost the extra pounds ...

I have noticed I've put on some extra pounds since my gall bladder Removal ,don't know if it's linked ..

I'm not running around so much now ,this could also be a factor ...

I never eat biscuits ,cake ,or chocolate ...I can leave the sweet stuff alone ...

• Like 4

I have gained approximately 9 kilos in weight, in just under a year. I have been on a sort of diet, since January this year by that I mean nutritious and healthy food without the cake, so far I have only lost 2 kilos and it doesn't seem to want to budge. I have increased my exercise in the last month, still nothing. I don't weigh myself every day just once per week.  Went for a coffee the other day, without ordering my usual cake, it was ok but went with a friend so it was easier. I don't buy any biscuits or cake for home, and have just an occasional toast with breakfast. My serving size has always been fairly small so that is not the problem. Next stop? 

• Like 4

This week I'm starting to see more results.  I haven't stepped on the scale, but the mirror and my clothes are showing progress.  I'm focusing more on better eating this week.  I misguidedly thought that just quitting alcohol would automatically shed the pounds. My family is supporting me in my dry month by not eating sweets (i do not have a sweet tooth and my wife doesn't drink much at all).  Already my wife has lost 10 lbs and the kids have lost a few pounds as well. With focusing on not drinking, I honestly haven't even thought about smoking- so there is another benefit.

f69cc481fb8cb9ee7c01a353dcb134231c0d7913

• Like 4