Support needed. Seriously desperate.

Loamie

Hi folks,

I stumbled upon this group tonight and thought I would give it a go. 

I am so sick and tired of smoking. It brings me to tears. I have been smoking for about 15 years (36 now). A while back I started vaping for about a year, then quit all nicotine for 5 months using Champix. Then one night, glass of wine, the rest is history. I am back on around 40 a day. I know it all. All the health scares. I have read Allen Carr's book, twice, makes soooooo much sense. I feel deflated. I cannot BELIEVE cigarettes are legal (that's just my angry brain talking, blameshifting I suppose.... But hey, imagine cigarettes just didn't exist). 

I know everyone uses a different method, so suggestions are welcome, but in the end I know that, ultimately, it's about never smoking again. I suppose the only "method" I have NOT tried is having a support group around. I am even willing to go to rehab, but guess what? They allow cigarettes, because they are not a mind altering substance. I know, I know that if I can beat this, I am capable of anything. I am so tired. Tired of smoking, tired of coughing, tired of tirelessly trying to find ways to stop. Tired of breaking 15 remaining cigarettes in half only to chase down to the nearest gas station for more. Tired of being a slave. 

I am puffing away as I am typing this. Planning on quitting tomorrow. What ever you feel like saying that you think might help.... Please do 😁😁

Xx L

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Loamie, you are making a great decision by taking back your life from this horrible addiction. I think a support group will really help you succeed this time. I'm convinced I wouldn't have succeeded without it! Stick close, read all you can about our addiction, education is key in understanding this.

Also check out our other areas of the forum. They're great places to go to take your mind off smoking and cigarettes, especially in the early months of your quit. You CAN do this. You did it for 5 months before so you know a little bit about what to expect. And we will be here as much as you need/want to offer our support :) 

• Like 5

Hey @Loamie,

Welcome to our merry band of quitters.

3 minutes ago, Loamie said:

I know it all.

You don't know it all.  Educate yourself about nicotine addiction, read until your eyes bleed. 

This knowledge will help you, will explain the why you feel a certain way and what you can expect to go through.

Check out this post

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

and all of our friend, Joel Spitzer's material

Starting with this,

Joel Spitzer's Daily Quitting Lesson Guide

There is no reason to wait until tomorrow, don't wait another minute.

Quit now, destroy all your smokes.

Start your new life, it is one of self discovery with a profound trust in yourself.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Loamie said:

I suppose the only "method" I have NOT tried is having a support group around. I am even willing to go to rehab, but guess what? They allow cigarettes, because they are not a mind altering substance. 

Here is an interesting take on 

Being Locked Up To Quit Smoking

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Loamie said:

in the end I know that, ultimately, it's about never smoking again.

That's it. Right there. It's about never ever again taking that first puff. I know that simplifies what is a very complex addiction, but it's the truth. And I continue to remind myself of that. Just don't take that first puff, and you won't ever be a smoker again.

56 minutes ago, Loamie said:

Then one night, glass of wine, the rest is history.

I love my wine. I do. But I had to quit drinking in the beginning. For several months. And I still can't drink around smokers. If there are smokers anywhere in the vicinity, I just say no to alcohol. It's safer. I protect my quit at all costs. I'm very lucky that the bars here don't allow smoking anymore. Not that I go to bars often. Usually I enjoy my wine at home or at a friend's house. :)

It sounds like you really, really want to quit. That's half the battle. Now it's all about the business of quitting. We can help you get through that. Take it one day at a time. You CAN do this!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Loamie said:

I suppose the only "method" I have NOT tried is having a support group around.

That's what worked for me.  I made multiple attempts to quit, mostly cold turkey.  I tried to quit by cutting down (bad mistake).  I even switched to vaping a few times (even worse mistake).

One day, after yet another failed quit attempt, I stumbled across a quit smoking support group similar to this one and participated regularly.  The support, knowledge, and accountability really helped me quit for good.

My advice is to put your last cigarette out, commit to NOPE (Not One Puff Ever, there is a section on this site where you can pledge daily), participate here and reach out for help if you are tempted to smoke.

Quitting smoking may be tough but it is definitely doable, as the folks on this site can attest...and life as a nonsmoker is much better than life as an addict.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 6

Welcome aboard ....I smoked 52 years ,and quit thanks to the help of these good people...

We all thought we knew the dangers of smoking ...when we were smokers....

Smoking effects every single part of your body one way or another ...

We can support you 100% ....but you will still have to put the work in ....

You yourself have to be committed 100% too.....it's no good going in half hearted ....

( This is what I did with all my failed quits )

I had two slogans I shouted alot in the early days ....

Take smoking off the table,even if your arse is falling off...

Never take another puff ....ever ....

Read all you can here ,watch all Joel's video,s.....you might read something you don't know ....

You can do it ....

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Loamie said:

I am so sick and tired of smoking. 

5 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

You yourself have to be committed 100% too.....it's no good going in half hearted ....

Good for you, Loamie!  And welcome aboard; it's a great place to find yourself when kicking the butts once and for all.

I get it.  I too quit many many times over the years.  I can honestly say it was my absolute determination THIS TIME that made it stick.  Like Doreensfree said above, you must be 100% committed.  The people on this board, the information contained within the threads and your desire to be a non-smoker will prove positive.  You did the hard work once before.  The other step is to stay vigilant and KTQ!  Keep The Quit.   

Stick around.  Commit to the daily NOPE thread.  Commit to staying on this board for one full year.  It will protect against a relapse months down the line.  And again, welcome!  Quitting is the best thing you'll ever do for yourself.

Edited by Runfree
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Loamie said:

I am so tired. Tired of smoking, tired of coughing, tired of tirelessly trying to find ways to stop. Tired of breaking 15 remaining cigarettes in half only to chase down to the nearest gas station for more. Tired of being a slave. 

The slavery of nicotine addiction is self-imposed.  The moment you ash out the last cigarette and commit to never smoke again, you're free.

You have a choice to make.  You can continue to smoke and continue feeling tired and trapped, a cycle that will continue as long as you continue smoking.  Or, and this is by far the superior choice, you can stop smoking.  Make a commitment to yourself.  Be relentless with that commitment.  Reap the many benefits of being smoke-free.

The challenge of quitting is a rewarding process.  The challenge of continuing to smoke is a dead end loop.

• Like 7

Good for you Loamie!  Many of us allowed the addiction to rule us for much longer or waited until it was affecting our health.  I can tell you that I tried every possible way to quit and did not succeed until I found this forum.  The people here made me realize I had the power to quit.  Educate yourself and stay close to the forum.  Shout out when you need support.  We are here to help you.  The best way is just to stop smoking and power yourself through the craves.  It only takes a couple of days to get the nicotine out of your system and then it is a matter of redirecting your mind.  You can do this!

• Like 6

Hi Loamie, welcome. 

When I quit smoking, I made it my no. 1 priority. It got me where I am now: 5 days away from being 1,5 year without a cigarette.

Make quitting important and put it before anything else in your life. Life will be life...  make yourself accountable for your quit.  Thát being said.. Water is your friend these days, take quick walks during lunch breaks, write here, read about the proces of smoking/quitting,  use other peoples experiences and above all, get to know yourself in a different way and find out what works for you.  Learn to trust the proces! 

Maybe start a diary?

• Like 7

Today is the day......

The start of you saving your life .....you have been given great advice ...to start you on your journey ...

Take your seat and buckle up ....there will be bumps in the track ,...knowledge....be ready for those bumps ...

This train will take you to Freedom ....All you need is the desire to get yourself there ....

Start each day with our Daily NOPE ...it's a promise you won't smoke just for that day ....it's a powerful tool .

• Like 4

The best method for quitting is to commit to yourself to not put something in your mouth and light it on fire.  Ever again.

Then repeat that every day. Every day, don't put something in your mouth and light it on fine.

Sounds stupud, but it really is that simple.

Once you commit to that -and I mean REALLY commit- everything else is just fluff. The cravings and withdraws don't matter, because you're committed to never smoking again.

Yes, it'll suck for a while, but you can't poison your body for 15+ years and expect to just be fine overnight.

Edited by JimHannoonen
  • Like 5